Make a donation

Author Topic: Newbie from London - already been hit by....!  (Read 2482 times)

Offline lennard_D

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 0
Newbie from London - already been hit by....!
« on: March 24, 2014, 12:14:10 pm »
Hey guys

New owner (of a few weeks now) of Black 56plate GTI (standard spec) and I’ve been absolutely loving it. More than I ever thought! So pleased with my purchase though sometimes think I should have held out for better spec e.g. leather seats, xenon and stereo upgrade. But mine was a lovely example and nearby and I got tired of Autotrading.

Fast forward few weeks and I go to car for a drive yesterday (parked on my street) and some bloody ar$ehole has done a hit and run leaving considerable damage. See the pics. So p1ssed off but I don’t think there is much I can do but either cough up for repairs myself or claim on insurance but will be amazingly an at fault claim as we can’t find the reckless bast@rd responsible…  http://s74.photobucket.com/user/lennard_D/library/  :sad1:

Deep breaths.

I mean I could have splashed out on brand new stereo, tyres loads of other stuff then stick my hand in pocket to pay for something I didn't do and paying insurance to cover. So frustrating. Arrgghh!!

Deep breaths.

So I anyway, I just wanted to say hi though sorry to introduce myself in crappy circumstances. Can anyone recommend a good bodyshop place in North London? Appreciate the support. Hope now I've introduced myself I will be an active contributor to hopefully happier posts!!

Cheers all

Len

Offline SRC

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 27
Re: Newbie from London - already been hit by....!
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 02:53:46 pm »
There are a few here who can sympathise with you.

But welcome to the forum - I look forward to seeing some pics of the car after the repairs.  You'll fall in love all over again (and start spending money on the fun stuff, too).

Shadow blue DSG 5 door with leather, sunroof, 18" Monzas, MFSW. 
Full list of mods:  Seat inserts and a VW bottle opener.  Each worth 20bhp.

Offline lennard_D

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 03:21:36 pm »
Thanks mate. I guess it comes with parking in London. I did go into ownership with eyes wide open after being a Zipcar member for many years.

I just didn't expect something like this to happen quite so soon!

I was deliberating over stereo upgrades but seeing this happen makes me wonder whether it's worth it as some scumbag could smash a window and nick it. So unfortunate that we live in world where you have to be cautious and can't fully enjoy stuff because of others.

I'm feeling pretty low about this incident but I guess crap happens and I'll bounce back with new photos once sorted.

To that end, any bodyshop repairs would be gratefully appreciated.

Cheers

Offline xjay1337

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 03:37:41 pm »
Hello welcome to the site

Sorry to hear about the accident.

I use Lemass Automotive for all my paint work they are based in Rickmansworth. They also have a courtesy car available they are very fairly priced.
Tell them Jay with the silver Mk5 sent you.

I have to get a new wing following someone crashing into my car as well, no details.... for a new genuine wing inc repaint, replacement door rubstrip and paint, drivers door respray, as well as rust on my sills repaired and resprayed, and smoothing my front end is costing me £550. Very very reasonable - Tom is a very nice guy as well, quiet and to the point but a spot on lad.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 12:57:02 am by xjay1337 »

Offline lennard_D

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 05:13:23 pm »
Cheers Jay I've dropped them a line.

Yeah I'll definitely need a new N/S rear wing as well as the big (outer) part of the N/S rear light and corner of bumper sorted.

Sounds like this might all end up being the same as a new RNS510 and I know what I would rather have been spending my money on!

Offline dubspy

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 01:29:33 pm »
Welcome mate

Offline lennard_D

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 05:14:41 pm »
So after weeks of serious ball ache I think this might all be sorted very soon and my car is going in for repairs. I will get some fresh photos up once all sorted.

Just two quick questions:

The garage is getting a decent amount of work from me (which hopefully will be covered by insurance) so just wondering if there are any things they should be looking at to ensure smooth motoring for this year? I've read about lumpy idle so might get them to look at PCV/DV and replace. I don't think that's an expensive job right? I will also get them to run VAGCOM diagnostic. Is there anything else I should be getting them to look at (only owned the car for about a month)?

Tyres. I know there are a lot of threads about this and I think based on opinions I'll get Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2s. The most important things to me are decent grip, comfort and noise. I have standard 17 inch wheels so are the right tyres 225/45/R17 but is it 94XL Y or 91Y?

Cheers guys

Offline Wooosh

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 87
  • Factory ponies.
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 07:51:06 pm »
Welcome mate, sorry to hear about the accident but the ball ache will soon be over before you know it. :happy2:
Stage 2 MK5 GTI Revo GONE
Stage 1+ MK5 GTI R-Tech GONE
Stage 2 MK5 GTI Edition 30 GoAPR

Offline lennard_D

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 01:21:41 pm »
Thanks mate.

I'm just trying to work out how to PM or reply to other posts? I don't seem to be able.

I've seen Eddie NL has been mentioned for upgrading stereo. How can I get in touch with him?

Offline Sjw_Vw

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2014, 10:26:20 am »
Welcome to the forum :happy2: Sorry to hear about your Golf :sad1: Glad you're getting it sorted though.
Instagram - sjw_vw. Updated all the time :)

Offline Garf

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • 2005 VW Golf GTi 5dr DSG
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2014, 10:41:45 am »
Hello!

There are some horrible people out there  :fighting:

Offline stuart-88

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101197.0.html
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2014, 10:00:32 pm »
Sorry to see that. What makes it worse is you've probably doubled the value of their sh*tbox by having some of your VW paint on it.

Happened a few years ago to me on a 6 month old car, i know how frustrating it is!

Instagram: stu_nc88

Offline dan930

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 56
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2014, 02:28:01 am »
Gutted for u mate...when u gonna start modding the car :wink:

MK6 golfR dsg
AKS TUNED
NORTECH PERFORMANCE HTA3071
R TECH custom map

Offline lennard_D

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2014, 08:29:39 am »
Thanks mate.

The main mod I want to do is upgrade the HU.  I'm torn between cheap ALpine Wde 235bt which has all the functionality I need or doing it properly and getting RCD510/RNS510. I can't afford to get either stock units brand new so relying on decent purchase used but dealing with getting latest revisions, canbus , Bluetooth and iPod extras makes it costly and puts me off a little.

I'm definitely getting new boots and thinking eagle f1s.

I'd also like retrofit armrest but might be too expensive...

Offline jimbo19

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2014, 08:37:58 am »
So sorry about your Golf :(
I had same happen to my car when parked in my street and it was 1 month old brand new !! :(
The Volvo V70 driver kindly left his wing mirror at scene but was untraceable
I also had only owned the car 2 days when some sh*ts decided to come down the street and Spray paint every car in the parking bays :(