Make a donation

Author Topic: Mark's Black Edition 30 - No. 0148  (Read 12083 times)

Offline Mark_DF05

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 8
Mark's Black Edition 30 - No. 0148
« on: September 06, 2015, 12:34:22 pm »
So, I've been on this forum since I bought my car back in June 2014 but never posted any pics or info. It's pretty much standard at the moment, I've a few mods planned for the future but nothing too major as I use the car daily.

Here's the spec from when I bought it:

2007 VW Golf GTi Edition 30
DSG
5 Door
Winter Pack
Convenience Pack
Highline Display
MFSW
74k Miles
FVWSH

I'd been searching for an Edition 30 for quite a while and seen some shocking examples but this one was almost perfect and had been maintained very well with full dealer service history. Cambelt had been replaced, DSG serviced on time and tonnes of receipts for other items too. This ticked all the boxes apart from not having xenon headlights however I had to choose condition over spec on that one.

Since owning it, I've done about 15k miles and loved every minute of it. I've not done any performance mods yet as I want to make sure all the serviceable items are done before going down that route. Here's what I've had done so far.

New cambelt, water pump and DSG service
2 x Goodyear Eagle F1's on the front
Rev G Diverter Valve
Cam Follower
Replaced rear brake caliper, discs and pads.
All 4 Pescaras refurbished as they had some kerb marks.
Polo stubby aerial
RCD500
GTi Seat inserts
Pressed plates

The paintwork wasn't in the best condition so yesterday i finally made the decision to machine polish it. Spent about 7 hours in total, washed, clayed, 2 stage polish with Menzerna FG400 and Menzerna SF4000 and then waxed with Autoglym Huigh Definition Wax. Was nervous about machine polishing but really happy I did it as the car looks great and It's removed 80% of the swirl marks.

Here's the finished result:

Seat inserts

RCD500

That's it, it's not the most exciting thread on here I know but thought I'd share. I've a few plans for the future. Retrofit genuine xenon headlights (I have one, just need the drivers side), Lower on 30mm H&R springs with upgraded shocks and maybe a Stage 1 remap. 

Here's a filtered image

« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 12:19:09 pm by Mark_DF05 »

Offline StuF

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 38
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,90017.0.html
Re: Mark's Black Edition 30 - No. 0148
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2015, 01:02:31 pm »
Lovely looking motor there mate  :happy2:
Paint has come up like glass!

Where Napoleons armies marched with horse and musket and Hitlers Reich crumbled in blood and rubble, the warriors of Armageddon do battle against the landscape of hell now indeed thrive the ARMOURERS

Offline hlcst

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 14
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2015, 01:24:23 pm »
Very nice indeed  :happy2:

Offline Tracey

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,87962.0.html
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2015, 02:51:22 pm »
Lovely clean car! Love the picture of the inside and the last one, quality pictures!

Offline Dave J

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 45
  • -Receive: 63
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,55935.0.html
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2015, 03:24:04 pm »
Car looks great - must have been a long day working on it, but looks very well worth it!  :smiley:

Edition 30 - no. 1387

Offline Mark_DF05

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2015, 10:25:39 pm »
Thanks guys, I was knackered by the end of it, now I know why professional detailing is expensive- I probably only did about 20% of what the pros do, haha.

It was difficult to see how much of a correction I made to paint as I don't have the strongest light to inspect it but I could definitely see an improvement.

Offline Mitch H

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 25
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95928.60.html
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2015, 06:27:16 pm »
Thanks guys, I was knackered by the end of it, now I know why professional detailing is expensive- I probably only did about 20% of what the pros do, haha.

It was difficult to see how much of a correction I made to paint as I don't have the strongest light to inspect it but I could definitely see an improvement.
I said the exact same about the pro retailers after I polished mine last month! Haha
Lovely motor mate, sometimes think to myself I should have gone silver with my pescaras when I see a clean example like this :(

Offline Mark_DF05

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2016, 01:51:40 pm »
I've not really updated this thread as I've been going along. There's not loads to report but here's an update on what I've done to the car over the past 12 months.

October 2015

Retrofitted Bi - Xenon headlights
Had a problem with one of the headlights after fitting - a clip that holds the projector in place was broken on one of the headlights that I purchased causing the beam shoot up into the sky whenever I had to break heavily. After many attempts to fix the the broken clip and searching around for a replacement part everywhere it seemed that the only solution was to buy a replacement headlight. In the end I found a damaged light at a local breakers and took it apart for clip. They work fine now and have been properly levelled at a mot test centre. Bit of hassle in the end but well worth it imo. Really changed the look of the car and the visibility is so much better!

May 2015

Reached the 100k milestone

Suspension upgrade

I'd had some H&R springs in my garage for a while and finally got round to getting them fitted when the car was in for a service. At the same time I decided to replace the top mounts and bearings with S3 parts. Also had the console bushes changed for the non void ones. I thought this would be enough but at the last minute decided on upgrading the shocks as it would probably only be a matter of time before the original ones wore out. After countless hours of research and deliberation I thought I’d decided on the Bilstein B8’s but after speaking to Awesome GTi, I was told of the some new VWR ones that had recently been launched. All the info sounded good and they were quite a bit cheaper than the B8’s so thought I’d give them a go. Also needed some new front tyres so got some Eagle F1 Assy 3’s whilst at it.

After all this, I booked in for a 4 wheel alignment:

Before:

After:

The results are amazing, the handling is so much firmer now and drives perfectly around the corners - the ride is also comfortable enough to be a daily driver which was one of my main concerns.

Finally got round to ordering a plaque:

Added some of the A4 exhaust tips to freshen it up and gave it a good clean earlier:

I think that'll it be it for a while with mods, still want to get down to r-tech for a map but got a wedding to pay for so I think it might have to be put on hold for another year...

Offline Frodo-anni

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 45
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2016, 09:39:10 pm »
Sat reading through, then thought sure I've seen that car about, recognise the reg, also the road. A local West Yorkshire fella, won't add anymore on location  :happy2:

Used to drive that road daily to work and back, silver Ed30  :P
mk4 Anniversary pd No0341 - Sold
mk5 GTI Edition 30 DSG No0391

Offline Mark_DF05

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2016, 09:19:34 pm »
Sat reading through, then thought sure I've seen that car about, recognise the reg, also the road. A local West Yorkshire fella, won't add anymore on location  :happy2:

Ahh cool, which road - the one on the first pics? You still got the silver eddy? Sure I'll have seen you around, seems to be plenty round these parts at the moment

Offline Frodo-anni

• Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 45
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2016, 09:19:57 pm »

Ahh cool, which road - the one on the first pics? You still got the silver eddy? Sure I'll have seen you around, seems to be plenty round these parts at the moment

The road near the abattoir. Still have my silver Ed30, 5 dr, had 5 years now.  :happy2:
mk4 Anniversary pd No0341 - Sold
mk5 GTI Edition 30 DSG No0391

Offline Matto

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 116
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,37071.0.html
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2016, 08:39:12 am »
Hi mate. Just wondered how you find the VWR shocks with the H&R's? I'm on standard shocks which now need replacing but not sure which route to go down. Any info greatly appreciated  :happy2:

Offline Ramigojag

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2016, 09:42:48 pm »
Was there anything different in the drivetrain with Edition 30's or just the spec that they changed?

Offline bonelorry

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 72
  • -Receive: 44
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2016, 06:29:42 am »
Was there anything different in the drivetrain with Edition 30's or just the spec that they changed?

Off-Topic post?

Plenty of info elsewhere on this forum regarding all the differences between a GTI and Edition 30!

Offline S800BRN

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 27
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2016, 07:43:54 am »
Nice looking Eddie this! Subtle OEM+ mods too!