Make a donation

Author Topic: Mark's Black Edition 30 - No. 0148  (Read 12069 times)

Offline tobymilatary

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Re: Mark's Black Edition 30 - No. 0148
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2016, 09:56:02 am »
Looking good loving the shine after the machine polish

Offline Mark_DF05

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2016, 07:58:19 am »
Sat reading through, then thought sure I've seen that car about, recognise the reg, also the road. A local West Yorkshire fella, won't add anymore on location  :happy2:

Used to drive that road daily to work and back, silver Ed30  :P

Ahh cool, which road - the one on the first pics? You still got the silver eddy? Sure I'll have seen you around, seems to be plenty round these parts at the moment

The road near the abattoir. Still have my silver Ed30, 5 dr, had 5 years now.  :happy2:

You have a private plate?

Offline Mark_DF05

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2016, 08:04:58 am »
Hi mate. Just wondered how you find the VWR shocks with the H&R's? I'm on standard shocks which now need replacing but not sure which route to go down. Any info greatly appreciated  :happy2:

Really happy with them. Comfort wise they're a massive improvement over standard shocks - they absorb the bumps much better and lose the crashiness of oem shocks.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 03:50:19 pm by Mark_DF05 »

Offline Frodo-anni

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 45
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2016, 10:22:40 pm »
Sat reading through, then thought sure I've seen that car about, recognise the reg, also the road. A local West Yorkshire fella, won't add anymore on location  :happy2:

Used to drive that road daily to work and back, silver Ed30  :P

Ahh cool, which road - the one on the first pics? You still got the silver eddy? Sure I'll have seen you around, seems to be plenty round these parts at the moment

The road near the abattoir. Still have my silver Ed30, 5 dr, had 5 years now.  :happy2:

You have a private plate?

Yes, *** GNS seen you a few times over the last 2 weeks.
mk4 Anniversary pd No0341 - Sold
mk5 GTI Edition 30 DSG No0391

Offline bonelorry

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 72
  • -Receive: 44
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2016, 11:19:29 am »
Hi mate. Just wondered how you find the VWR shocks with the H&R's? I'm on standard shocks which now need replacing but not sure which route to go down. Any info greatly appreciated  :happy2:

Really happy with them. Comfort wise they're a  massive improvement over standard shocks - they absorb the bumps much better and lose the crashiness off oem shocks.

I will be going for the VWR Spring and Damper package on my ED30. Hopefully over the next few Months.

Offline Mark_DF05

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2019, 03:31:37 pm »
Just looking through this and can’t believe it’s over 3 years since I posted anything - not that much has really happened other than regular maintenance. Life (getting married, buying a house and now expecting our first child) has taken any surplus funds that would usually be spent on the car. Having said that, recently I’ve needed to spend a bit more as parts needed replacing :)

I’ve been having an intermittent issue with the car for a couple of months (misfiring, erratic idle and occasionally cutting out) so first replaced the PCV and spark plugs with NGK Iridiums which seemed to steady it for a while but the problem returned. Had it scanned which revealed a code relating to the crank sensor (P0322). Also the standard exhaust was starting to fall apart so a replacement was needed. Settled for the BCS Prestige cat back after plenty of pondering and I love it. Everyone on here knows all about these but I can’t fault it at all, really happy and convinced I made the correct choice. I could have got a full custom system for the same price but I doubt the quality would have matched and more importantly the tone. The BCS is perfect for me as I didn’t want anything that was too loud/would drone.

Anyway, had the exhaust fitted at Moorfield German Motors in Leeds. Whilst there they replaced the crank sensor, gave the car a full health check and a dyno run. No signs of boost leaks or any other issues, so happy with that. They're an APR dealer so when I'm sure the crank sensor has fixed my issue I may be back for the stage 1 map.

Massive thanks to @Pudding who I've been pestering for information for the last month and for sorting me out with the sensor   :happy2:

Few pics, I'll get some better ones up sometime.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2019, 03:43:42 pm »
Welcome mate  :happy2:

How do you find the BCS once it gets properly hot, say after an hour or more on the motorway?  My oem one is also rotting away and I'm considering some options.  I definitely don't want anything louder than OEM! A lot of aftermarket systems with small silencers tend to drone when hot.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Mark_DF05

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2019, 11:17:46 am »
I'd say there's no drone at all, can hardly tell it's there when cruising with the road noise to be honest. It could come like this from the factory and I wouldn't have any issues.

It's got a subtle deeper tone on and idle and sounds significantly sportier when putting the foot down but not ott. From reading up on here, I think a lot of people tend to prefer the Sport version though which is a bit louder.

Not experienced any of the other options out there so I don't know how it compares with the likes of Scorpion, Miltek etc. I did consider a Miltek but a few people had told me of quality issues and the price difference was minimal.

Offline bobby_fodge

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 38
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2019, 11:42:18 am »
Welcome mate  :happy2:

How do you find the BCS once it gets properly hot, say after an hour or more on the motorway?  My oem one is also rotting away and I'm considering some options.  I definitely don't want anything louder than OEM! A lot of aftermarket systems with small silencers tend to drone when hot.

I've got a cat back Miltek and there is zero drone, you can only really tell is not the stock exhaust when you get the revs high. It's a little too subtle for my liking, maybe when I get the car mapped it might sound a bit more fruity.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2019, 12:12:56 pm »
Thanks guys.  Some good feedback there  :happy2:   I don't mind a bit of extra bass at town speeds but motorway cruising has to be quiet. 

I remember using a Milltek on my old Corrado VR6 and that droned so badly at 70mph, it gave me headaches! Milltek to their credit welded in a 3rd silencer free of charge but it didn't make much difference.  Their reputation wasn't so good back then. Cheap thin gauge stainless (the reason it droned so much) and poor welding, but they're a lot better now  :happy2:

One big plus of an aftermarket exhaust is shifting a load of weight from under there! OEM exhausts are crazy heavy!

Offline Mark_DF05

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2020, 05:08:05 pm »
Bit late on the update with this, December was pretty hectic and then with Covid the car barely moved for 3 months but finally took the plunge and took advantage of the APR Black Friday sale to get the Stage 1 map at the back end of last year. Think I've done about 5k miles since and loving it. Was a real shock at first, especially on cold and wet winter roads :evilgrin: Still chuffed with the BCS too, it's got a bit deeper over time but is just the right balance for me.

Not much else has happened other than little bits, repainted the faded front grill and replaced the broken 3rd brake light most recently. Booked in for new wings and a front end respray next week which I wasn't too sure bout as the cars getting on a bit now and it's not a cheap job but everything's been done properly up to this point so to scrimp now would be a shame.

IMG-9230" border="0

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2020, 06:06:33 pm »
Great torque curve  :happy2:

Offline CAPTAIN BRITAIN

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 12
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2020, 05:50:48 pm »
Very cool

Offline Mark_DF05

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2020, 04:09:27 pm »
Expensive couple of months for the car, finally got the rusty wings replaced. Picked up some genuine ones and got the bumper and bonnet painted at the same time as it was starting to show its age. Really happy with result, quite a bit more than getting the Lothian ones but worth it for me, even sanded and polished the headlights for me whilst it was in :smiley:

A couple of days after picking it up I heard a clunk whilst driving - turned out one of the front springs had snapped.  Struggled to find a pair of replacement H&R fronts for a decent price so got a full set and had them all changed.

Not long after that one of the front wheel bearings began to sound like it was on its way out. I'd never replaced them in my ownership so at 160k decided to get both. Ordered the FAG ones, attempted it myself but couldn't get the hub off so gave up and took it to a garage  :signLOL:

Getting 2 new Eagle F1's on the rear tomorrow and hopefully that's it for this year now

A few pics of the paint after a quick wash - will post better if this rain ever stops.