Make a donation

Author Topic: Tornado red GTI R-Tech stage 2  (Read 18938 times)

Offline Mitch H

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 25
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95928.60.html
Re: Tornado red GTI R-Tech stage 2
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2016, 02:58:10 pm »
You fitting wellycooler ?

Offline stuart-88

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101197.0.html
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2016, 01:38:14 pm »
You fitting wellycooler ?

Yes mate. It's a work in progress! Hopefully have it done by the end of this weekend

Instagram: stu_nc88

Offline Mitch H

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 25
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95928.60.html
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2016, 10:44:29 pm »
Let us know how you get on mate dunno wether to mess about with fitting s welly from scratch or just save more penny's for a peron

Offline stuart-88

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2016, 06:56:55 am »
No problem. It's all down to how brave you are with the grinder  :scared:

Offline stuart-88

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2016, 08:07:36 am »
Finished off the fmic yesterday, all went back together pretty well so I had it complete a day sooner than I expected. Just waiting on some open fog light grilles to turn up now

Offline patpong_pete

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2016, 12:15:32 pm »
Nice work Stu how much was the pipework and welly is about 85 pounds ?

how long did it take to fit ?

Offline vwgolfgtimk5

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2016, 05:00:23 pm »
Nice car!

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2016, 06:02:17 pm »
Nice job on the intercooler. Get those fog grilles in asap though, looks a bit pikey without them!

Have you got an uprated fuel pump? If not, it's really worth getting one. My standard pump struggled with my Stage 2 R-Tech map, got a few fuel cuts which aren't fun at speed. I was miles off requested pressure. Got a Loba in now and it's much better.

Tweak to 2+ at R-Tech with a proper pump and that cooler will give your midrange a very healthy bump, and you should be into the 280s at peak power.

Offline stuart-88

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2016, 06:08:02 pm »
Cheers guys.

Pete - All in it cost me £241. That includes pipes, i/c, connectors etc. If you have the means of doing it yourself it's a cheap mod for what it is. It took me a couple of days if I was on it all day, mine was split up into a few evenings here and there.

Thanks AJP, completely agree it looks awful at the moment! I was worried from previous experience about how much of a pain the grilles are to get out from the front so I decided to get them off whilst I could get behind them. Loba pump and exhaust is next on the list after the clutch.

I was never going to go to 2+ but I've got the bug now! Poor car  :party:

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2016, 06:53:19 pm »
See what Niki says about the exhaust - you've got rid of 95% of exhaust restriction by fitting the decat downpipe. Opinion differs on just how restrictive the cat back section of the oem exhaust is. You might be fine for the 2+ map as you are (looking at your peak bhp I think things are probably flowing rather well). Obviously a nice cat back from Milltek or Powervalve will sound lovely and look a million miles better than the standard tailpipes!

All the tuners worth talking to are saying the same thing about uprated fuel pumps - they're beneficial on even Stage 1 boost levels. It's a much bigger bottleneck than the cat back oem exhaust is at this stage.

Happy modding...!

Offline stuart-88

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2016, 03:29:09 pm »
My tailpipe is way past its best now so I'll be be changing it any way but you make a good point. The sound of just the decat as it is is pretty impressive! Wasn't expecting it to be as loud as it is on throttle and as quiet as it is off.

In the hope that the car will be getting some use over the next few months now  :smiley:

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2016, 03:50:37 pm »
My tailpipe is way past its best now so I'll be be changing it any way but you make a good point. The sound of just the decat as it is is pretty impressive! Wasn't expecting it to be as loud as it is on throttle and as quiet as it is off.

In the hope that the car will be getting some use over the next few months now  :smiley:
I was never actually too keen on doing a full exhaust myself, but when the tuning bug inevitably bit I started looking at Powervalve (known as BCS at that point) and I kept seeing massive gains from their systems. So I went with Powervalve primarily for the performance benefit, but one thing that I really like about it is that it sounds incredible even rolling around town off boost. You get all sorts of burbles and crackles on the over run, and if you can get the traction control to kick in aggressively (not round town of course) you get full on burps like a DSG car makes on a shift.

What downpipe is yours? The full Powervalve is 3" all the way from turbo to the tailpipes. That probably contributes to the lovely noise it makes. Apparently the R32 style version I've got was three years in development! I'd imagine as long as your downpipe was 2.75" or bigger a Powervalve cat back would tick all the boxes for you.

Offline wazza16

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2016, 06:24:43 pm »
Looks good!

Offline Paradox1

• Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 82
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2016, 01:43:45 pm »
Looking good stuart. Have you got the list of pipe you need and also the bracket for the cooler pls?

Offline stuart-88

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2016, 04:50:29 pm »

I was never actually too keen on doing a full exhaust myself, but when the tuning bug inevitably bit I started looking at Powervalve (known as BCS at that point) and I kept seeing massive gains from their systems. So I went with Powervalve primarily for the performance benefit, but one thing that I really like about it is that it sounds incredible even rolling around town off boost. You get all sorts of burbles and crackles on the over run, and if you can get the traction control to kick in aggressively (not round town of course) you get full on burps like a DSG car makes on a shift.

What downpipe is yours? The full Powervalve is 3" all the way from turbo to the tailpipes. That probably contributes to the lovely noise it makes. Apparently the R32 style version I've got was three years in development! I'd imagine as long as your downpipe was 2.75" or bigger a Powervalve cat back would tick all the boxes for you.

My downpipe is 3", I'm swaying towards a Cobra as they seem a reasonable price and I like the tips on them, to be honest I haven't really looked into powervalve but I'll take a look  :smiley:

Paradox - if you PM me your email address, I'll send over the list. It's saved as a picture on my phone and I'm too lazy to upload it to photobucket  :signLOL:
The bracket on the crash bar to the cooler was something I bent up from 3mm mild steel and welded on.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 04:52:14 pm by stuart-88 »