Make a donation

Author Topic: Are ED30's future classics?  (Read 14806 times)

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
Re: Are ED30's future classics?
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2016, 10:34:52 am »
Weren't the R32's buckets an option though? 

Too many folk run down 'special editions' because they should have had this, that and the other.   99% of VW buyers don't want bucket seats, they don't want 100Kg of trim and sound deadening removed, they don't want too much power through the front wheels, they don't want the negative effects of a diff, they don't want to stand out from the crowd and they certainly don't want to pay over the odds to have said parts binned.  Think 911 GT3 - "You want no A/C, no radio, no rear seats, no spare wheel and no electric windows?  That'll be £10K extra please sir"

IMO what VW did with the ED30 was bang on and is the best looking MK5 Golf by a country mile.  And it's special enough for people to choose them over a regular GTI, but it won't be a classic - that much we can agree on  :smiley:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline irish_ram

• Thank You
  • -Given: 200
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2016, 03:19:37 pm »

Too many folk run down 'special editions' because they should have had this, that and the other.   99% of VW buyers don't want bucket seats, they don't want 100Kg of trim and sound deadening removed, they don't want too much power through the front wheels, they don't want the negative effects of a diff, they don't want to stand out from the crowd and they certainly don't want to pay over the odds to have said parts binned.  Think 911 GT3 - "You want no A/C, no radio, no rear seats, no spare wheel and no electric windows?  That'll be £10K extra please sir"

IMO what VW did with the ED30 was bang on and is the best looking MK5 Golf by a country mile.  And it's special enough for people to choose them over a regular GTI, but it won't be a classic - that much we can agree on  :smiley:

My point exactly but you worded it much better haha.

It is for the best model from the MK5 series which again forme the best looking set of the golf MK ranges to date.

I still believe VW will end up calling it a classic but forme it will be known as a special edition which is a totally different category to classic so no comparing really

Offline dronners

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2016, 04:30:24 pm »
given enough years pretty much any vw with GTI in the name will be a classic.  and historically limited run cars do tend to be more collectible..  but only time will tell

Offline oisinc

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2016, 05:01:47 pm »
Ive a 2009 Pirelli edition which is a Classic..
 :pomppomp: Wanna buy it?  :pomppomp:

Offline Chris92

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 35
  • If you're smart in this world they call you crazy
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,109742.0.html
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2016, 05:11:04 pm »

Well yes they should of had this and the other as they are suppose to be a 'special edition'  :stupid: otherwise I don't this the big hype over them for a few cosmetics. I can guarantee if it came with the 3 things I mentioned they would of sold just as many and actually had the right to wear the 'special' badge. Also by reducing the weight I wasn't meaning to take away all the comforts of the mk5, I was more thinking of light weights seats, alloys etc etc 
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 05:19:23 pm by Chris92 »

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2016, 05:19:51 pm »

Well yes they should of had this and the other as they are suppose to be a 'special edition'  :stupid: otherwise I don't this the big hype over them for a few cosmetics. I can guarantee if it came with the 3 things I mentioned they would of sold just as many. Also by reducing the weight I wasn't meaning to take away all the comforts of the mk5, I was more thinking of light weights seats, alloys etc etc

And how do you propose VW lose 100Kg, fit bigger arbs, trick dampers, special racing alloys, carbon bucket seats etc and bring it in at an affordable price?  Most of the budget developing the ED30 was spent on the engine, styling and interior.  Like I said, most VW buyers don't want crap like that.  If people want stripped out specials, they buy flimsy crap with rock hard suspension like the Megane R26 R don't they.

Offline Chris92

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 35
  • If you're smart in this world they call you crazy
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,109742.0.html
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2016, 05:42:12 pm »
Don't have to be bang on 100kg but like what I said above plus some ally suspension parts, cross members loads of this kind of thing from the audi cars that they fit. Even the tts rotors weight less than the R. Any weight loss would be better than what they did tbh.

I never said vw buyers want all that (what you made up not me) 'crap' I said some nice buckets, bit weight loss, more power, not a stripped out special at all.with them things added you still wouldn't be able to compare it to a r26r, it would still be a very vw car    :stupid:
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 05:47:06 pm by Chris92 »

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2016, 11:16:56 pm »
Lets see what they say in 20 years time is what we need to wait for as we will never know otherwise.

I still like those r32 bucket seats but for £1000-1500 f that  :booty:

Offline FoleE

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2016, 12:09:41 am »
Hope so for future resale purposes!

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2016, 12:20:39 am »
Lets see what they say in 20 years time is what we need to wait for as we will never know otherwise.

I still like those r32 bucket seats but for £1000-1500 f that  :booty:

Best investment I made. I paid £1700 for mine nearly 3 years ago and they've been in 2 cars (and probably a 3rd if I get another VAG car) and I can sell them pretty much anytime for the same money.

Anyway, someone up above mentioned removing of what are deemed creature comforts and charging more. The Porsche 911GT3 RS for example. OK so it's stripped out and comes with "less" equipment and yet it's a lot more money? Because the money is spent on making it a better drivers car. OK so they don't come with AC but 95% are specced with these creature comforts like AC and cruise control and decent stereo.

They are worth money because they are the epitome of what drivers want, a focused car which is less about faff and more about driving.
I definitely think there would have been a market for a VW which had no rear seats, half cage, weight reduction etc.
It's easy to lose 100kg from a car. Taking a car with the R32 brake setup replace with the TTRS brakes and TTS discs (15kg lighter or something?), removal of rear seats and replace heavy standard seats with some lighter buckets / wingbacks / recaros (another 50kg quite easily), light wheels (15-20kg) , and that's without removing any interior trim bits / wiring / excess. Look at how many of us have 3 doors and never use the rear seats and fit all these lightweight and performance parts. That's where renault got the R26 R so good. Just imagine the focus of one of those with the interior quality and general reliability of a VW.

I don't see any of the MK5 / Mk6 cars being future classics unfortunately, they will be sought after because they are good cars but like the VR6 they will be wanted but worthless.

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2016, 12:36:32 am »
If I didn't have a family I'd definitely own a 3 door hatch with rear seat delete like the tt quattro sport that has no rear seats, light weight bucket front seats and a few other light weight alterations.
Many who own tts are deleting the rear seats like the sports and even replacing seats for weight reduction.

Shame family come first  :signLOL:

They certainly are lovely to sit in as I took an R32 on a test drive back in 2013 and fell in love with those bucket seats unfortunately the car was sha**** so I didn't buy it. 7k for a car that was battered to the pulp crash damaged front end, drive shafts knocking and car pulling all over the place even though it had new wishbones fitted both sides and front seat leather plastic grips were coming away from the backing and the trader said it was mint with only four owners to find out it had eight owners  :stupid: bas**** made me travel 220miles round trip to find it was a piece of shi** with lie after lie. got home at 230am that night and was pissed off  :mad:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2016, 05:23:40 pm »
Don't have to be bang on 100kg but like what I said above plus some ally suspension parts, cross members loads of this kind of thing from the audi cars that they fit. Even the tts rotors weight less than the R. Any weight loss would be better than what they did tbh.

I never said vw buyers want all that (what you made up not me) 'crap' I said some nice buckets, bit weight loss, more power, not a stripped out special at all.with them things added you still wouldn't be able to compare it to a r26r, it would still be a very vw car    :stupid:

Corporate hierarchy.  Audis get all the nice bits because they charge more for their cars in the first place and they don't want the brand beneath being as good as, or better.  Renault Sport and Ford RS, for example, don't have that problem.  They have free reign to do what they like as it doesn't upset the branding apple cart.
Same with the 911 GT3 line up.  There always has been a more driver focussed 911, so that one always gets the titanium engine parts, 8500rpm rev limit, carbon brakes, etc etc.

VWs have always been and always will be sold as all rounders.  It's their bread and butter car.  Audi are the 'sports' range.

Offline garrardrj

• Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2016, 07:58:37 pm »
Well if anything to do with my previous car history then The ED30 is going to be a Classic , i have had Mini Cooper , Mk 1 And Mk2 RS2000 , Mk1 Gti , 2.8 Capri , Mk2 Gti 16v. If i had had space i would never have sold my ED30. I am seriously tempted by the one on the For Sale section though , just need to move house to get another garage
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2016, 12:17:06 am »

VWs have always been and always will be sold as all rounders.  It's their bread and butter car.  Audi are the 'sports' range.

I would argue Seat are the sport range of the VAG group
No other car comes with the TTRS brakes and 300bhp for example. unlike the Leon.

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2016, 12:35:20 am »
Those new Leon are flecking rapid as I raced one down the M1 back in September 2014 and that mother left for for dust and the rest. my 265bhp tt was no match what so ever  :ashamed: the chap driving seemed cool as we had a 20mile long sprint and I'm sure he was pushing 155 + as he's cupra 64 plate kept on going like it was mapped 300 + maybe. or am I wrong?.