Make a donation

Author Topic: Are ED30's future classics?  (Read 14815 times)

Offline Black9

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 19
    • Email
Are ED30's future classics?
« on: February 01, 2016, 04:24:41 pm »
Regretted selling my 30 years ago. Still have a KO3 Gti but will good expamples of edition 30s become future classics?

If so which transmission will be more desirable?

Considering buying another in 5 door, grey, DSG, 75K, needs cambelt and DSG... 2007. Basic spec. What's is worth?

Offline Dave J

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 45
  • -Receive: 63
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,55935.0.html
Re: Are ED30's future classics?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 09:35:42 pm »
It's a difficult one. It's a mass produced car at the end of the day, but has an enthusiast following which seems to keep the prices quite bouyant. I thought the number of Edition 30s built was about the same number as GTI's... (but don't quote me on that!).

I'd have thought a Pirelli Edition would be the more sought after car as a modern classic. I did try one before my Edition 30, but even though the trim was better in the flesh than in photo's, I just didn't like it as much as the ED30. Plus, having to explain why your seats have tyre tread trim on them would get very dull indeed...

Edition 30 - no. 1387

Offline PhilNUK

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 09:39:44 pm »
Eh? Same amount as ed30's as gti's?  Be surprised if that was true

Offline irish_ram

• Thank You
  • -Given: 200
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 09:43:22 pm »
It's a difficult one. It's a mass produced car at the end of the day, but has an enthusiast following which seems to keep the prices quite bouyant. I thought the number of Edition 30s built was about the same number as GTI's... (but don't quote me on that!).

I'd have thought a Pirelli Edition would be the more sought after car as a modern classic. I did try one before my Edition 30, but even though the trim was better in the flesh than in photo's, I just didn't like it as much as the ED30. Plus, having to explain why your seats have tyre tread trim on them would get very dull indeed...

The ED30 was the 30 year celebration of the Golf I believe. In terms of number my understanding was originally there was 1500 made but them a further batch so 2500 in total so a special edition as in the name

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 09:54:26 pm »

Pirelli and vw teamed up many years ago end of story  :signLOL:

Offline Dave J

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 45
  • -Receive: 63
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,55935.0.html
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 10:02:55 pm »
Sorry - got my facts wrong with the numbers  :ashamed:. Just been looking on howmanyleft.co.uk, and GTI does massively outweigh the ED30. Looks as though there are 833 DSG versions, and 1300 manual versions of the ED30 on the road, with 74 DSG Pirelli's, and 133 manual versions.

Edition 30 - no. 1387

Offline irish_ram

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2016, 10:04:09 pm »

Pirelli and vw teamed up many years ago end of story  :signLOL:

What was the Pirelli Edition for as in the ED30 was 30 years of golf??

In my opinion as there are few ED30's made and it is a beautiful car it is in my eyes a modern classic as even though I run mine as a daily car I intend to at some point just keep it as a hobby car when I upagrade to something else  :happy2:

Offline irish_ram

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2016, 10:05:18 pm »
Sorry - got my facts wrong with the numbers  :ashamed:. Just been looking on howmanyleft.co.uk, and GTI does massively outweigh the ED30. Looks as though there are 833 DSG versions, and 1300 manual versions of the ED30 on the road, with 74 DSG Pirelli's, and 133 manual versions.

Yeah as said about 2500 in total for the ED30 and the GTI was just a normal mass produced car

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2016, 10:11:25 pm »
Being rare doesn't make it a classic.
Dont think ed30 is anything special imo.
Pirelli a tad more so but nowhere near like a mk2 gti is.

Offline Chris92

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 35
  • If you're smart in this world they call you crazy
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,109742.0.html
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2016, 10:12:41 pm »
When will people realise the ed30 isn't a special car at all, it's nice but just as nice as a normal gti. IMO people get far too carried away with it :indifferent:

Offline irish_ram

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2016, 10:21:53 pm »
Take your points but would agree to disagree.

A classic car is in the eye of the beholder. I have seen some cars of the past that in my opinion were horrible but classed as classics for simple reasons like how many made or specific features unique to them.

The ED30 has some unique features and only 2500 roughly made but VW themselves have made it as a special edition and whether you agree or not this will be referred to by VW in the future as a milestone/special edition car

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2016, 10:35:43 pm »
Nothing overly special about the pirelli edition

A Golf GTI named after a tyre company might seem to be a strange way to finish the MkV model’s life, but Volkswagen hopes it will have hot hatch fans gripped!

The Italian rubber giant has history with VW, too. In 1983, the car maker produced a GTI Pirelli based on the original Golf MkI. It was fitted with tyres from the firm and had distinctive 13-inch ‘P-slot’ alloys.

With a total production run of 10,500 units selling out within six months, it was a massive success. And now, 25 years later, the two manufacturers are celebrating their continued relationship by releasing a 21st Century version.

As with the original, the new car has a unique set of wheels, obviously shod with Pirelli tyres. Unfortunately, the style of the rims and the colour-coded bodywork detracts from some of the subtle detailing that makes the stock GTI look so good.

Inside, all the best bits of the standard model remain. Smart instruments and a well laid-out and solidly assembled dash are what make this one of the easiest hot hatches to live with on a day-to-day basis. In homage to Pirelli’s trademark colours, you get yellow stitching on the steering wheel and gearlever, but the most obvious interior difference is the tyre tread-effect material on the front seats.

Whatever you think about the trim, the driving position is perfect, and the seats are superbly comfortable, although they don’t offer as much lateral support as the figure-hugging buckets in the Renault.

But this GTI isn’t a stripped-out trackday special. As a result, the Golf has decent rear legroom and a practical boot.

The only mechanical change comes under the bonnet. As with the now sold-out GTI Edition 30, the 2.0-litre TFSI engine in the Pirelli has been boosted from 197bhp to a more generous 227bhp. There’s no doubt the extra 30bhp is appreciated on both road and track. The seven-second 0-60mph time we recorded was in wet conditions, and the German model offers plenty of overtaking grunt in the real world. What’s more, unlike the Renault and Honda, the VW remains relaxed and refined even when pushed. However, the Golf lacks the manic nature of the Civic, and doesn’t have the punch of the Focus. And as it weighs a substantial 127kg more than the Renault, it unsurprisingly can’t match that model’s pace. Nevertheless, it is still a very fast and usable road car; it’s simply not as raw as rivals.

The story is similar when it comes to handling. The GTI’s suspension strikes a great balance between body control and ride quality, while the steering is engaging and the handling accurate and composed.

In this company the VW is outclassed, though. Without the stiffer suspension and clever diff of the Honda and Renault, it relies on its stability control to deliver traction. On the track it feels softer and has less grip than the racy Mégane.

If you want a limited-edition GTI with a little extra power, you won’t be disappointed. But if you’re after a hot Golf that can set your heart racing like never before, you might wonder if the Pirelli is extreme enough...

Details

Price: £21,995
Model tested: VW Golf GTI Pirelli
Chart position: 4
WHY: Ahead of Golf GTI MkVI’s arrival, this Pirelli MkV special edition has been launched.

Economy

AT £21,995 the GTI Pirelli isn’t cheap – only the Mégane has a higher price. Dubious styling additions also make the Golf the least successful transformation here, and that’s reflected in its residual, which is two per cent below the standard GTI’s. It will still be worth £9,434 after three years/30,000 miles, but a stock GTI will be £9,209 – despite costing £1,500 less new! Still, low CO2 emissions of 194g/km mean Pirelli company buyers fare better over rivals here.

Key specs

Tacky tread-pattern seats and Pirelli wheels do the Golf GTI no favours. We prefer the standard car, which is more attractive, cheaper and better to drive.
* Engine: 2.0-litre 4cyl
* Power: 227bhp
* 0-60mph: 7.0 seconds
* Economy: 23.5mpg
* Euro NCAP rating: Five stars

Offline Chris92

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 35
  • If you're smart in this world they call you crazy
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,109742.0.html
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2016, 10:36:54 pm »
Yes but the word special is getting used far to easy, it's special because it comes with some colour coding body parts, half leather and 30 bhp more? Wow. It should of came with two recaro buckets in the front, 260bhp and something like 100kgs shaved off the car plus Maybes a diff. Don't get me wrong I like them but no more than I like the normal ones, end of the day it's the same car.

Offline irish_ram

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2016, 10:47:55 pm »
Yes but the word special is getting used far to easy, it's special because it comes with some colour coding body parts, half leather and 30 bhp more? Wow. It should of came with two recaro buckets in the front, 260bhp and something like 100kgs shaved off the car plus Maybes a diff. Don't get me wrong I like them but no more than I like the normal ones, end of the day it's the same car.

I agree and think the main argument for why it is not special is the standard GTI is so good already. Probably why there was not many changes they made to the ED30 to make it different. To me it is special as it is slightly different to the mainstream and the subtle differences tick all my boxes and probably why I do not have any desire to upgrade to the MK7 etc

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2016, 10:49:55 pm »
same cars but 30 hp more with a few trimmings  :signLOL:

Yes it should of had 260 hp and recaro wrap round buckets like dome of the R32's but unfortunately that didn't happen  :sad1: