Make a donation

Author Topic: Mk5 GTI No2 - Hybrid Turbo 340/340  (Read 19470 times)

Offline Greigzy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 5
Mk5 GTI No2 - Hybrid Turbo 340/340
« on: February 21, 2016, 10:48:15 pm »
So back in a Mk5 GTI. Some of you may remember my old one (there is a build thread somewhere). Planning to move out this year, so the M3 and the Golf were sold and the Veloster is going back to work this week. Bought this around 3 weeks ago.

2005 Mk5 GTI
Tornado Red
140,000 (holy sh*t balls)
10 speaker upgrade
Auto lights/wipers
FSH with 11 months MOT.

Looked at 3 cars over a week and this one (coming from down south originally) was very clean. No rust on the rear arches or quarters and the wings were done 18 months ago by VW. Small bit of rust under the wing at the sill but will sort that. The other cars just werent as clean, and other than the damage to the front seat (bad bolster wear) it was too good to miss for the price I offered.

Currently I have done the following:
New HPFP cam follower
New Loba HPFP
New GTI rear badge
GTI Open vents (from Dads original GTI)
Fitted an Edition 30 interior (heated and electric bolster still to be wired in)
New interior handles
Mk6/chrome window switches/fuel flap and headlight dial
Full detail (including wet vac of interior and carpets and sanding and polishing headlights

Also have a highline dash to fit and multifunction buttons

Couple of pics - wont bore you with all the detailing ones as I can do a thread on that:

Future plans are:
Fit my highline clocks and buttons.
Fit and RNS510 satnav
Fit heated seat loom
Depo projector headlights
Re diamond cut the alloys
Fit K04 and uprated parts (once I have moved out)

Thanks for getting to the end of a long and boring post!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 04:50:16 pm by Greigzy »

Offline xjay1337

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
Re: Mk5 GTI No2
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 10:50:42 pm »
Looks like a good clean base to start! :)

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2016, 10:53:15 pm »
Looks in good condition

Offline S800BRN

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 27
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 07:23:29 am »
Approve!

Offline Greigzy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 08:13:19 am »

Offline Greigzy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2016, 08:53:38 pm »
So used it for the first full week and have done around 350 miles returning about 36 MPG which is pretty good.

Got my plates on:

Got a bargain from Chinese Ebay with a £12 red stitched handbrake gaiter (for the complete sleeve). Just need a matching gear gaiter:

And fitted a polo 6R aerial I had sitting about:

Also ordered some rear footwell lights and door light looms along with an LED reversing light (handy for reversing in the pitch dark with me) from boldsport.

Offline rashg60

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 41
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2016, 09:35:19 pm »
Lovely car - love the Tornado Red (partly cos I have one).

I've also got the Edition 30 interior in mine with the matching gear gaiter and steering wheel. Just missing the leather door cards (and an armrest).
Previous motors (in order of succession since 1994):-

VW Golf MK2 GTi 8v
Peugeot 205 1.9 GTi
VW Corrado G60 Supercharged
Volvo C70 2.0 Turbo Convertible
Audi TT MK1 1.8T quattro (225)
Mercedes CLS 320 V6
Audi TT MK1 3.2 V6 Quattro
Audi A4 Convertible 1.8T Quattro
VW Golf MK5 GTi 2.0 Turbo

Offline Greigzy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2016, 10:51:12 pm »
A few changes! I'll start with tonights!

A local forum user kindly offered his friends BBS SR's 18x8 in exchange for any 5x112 alloys + £100, as the car was being traded in tomorrow! Could say no! They came with a set of week old Michelin Pilot sports and Bridgestones that have about 5mm tread :)

I dont think the photos do them justice, and the fronts sit a little high, nothing these cant fix:

They are hooring dirty, but are a set of KW V1 Inox :)

Also fitted a CTS intake for mad sook sook noises.

Should go nice with my Airtec FMIC and Golf R intercooler.

Offline Gmac

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 30
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2016, 06:36:09 pm »
Looking forward to seeing these wheels in the flesh!!  Some nice touches as always Greigzy! :happy2:

Offline Greigzy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2016, 10:46:15 pm »
A busy few days on the golf. Now that Open Uni is finished for the summer, it has given me a lot of free time to play about with cars again, meaning I could start working through the pars hoard:

Items fitted were the following:

Rev G diverter Valve

New PCV and gasket

Relocation of diverter valve to K04 position using OEM piping etc

S3 short shifter

ECS tuning rear dogbone mount

S3 intercooler

Airtec front mounted cooler

Putting it back together, I repolished the headlights off the car (REALLY wanted to fit xenons but have spent enough this month) and a repro front bumper with smooth plate, until I get my real bumper repainted.

Car feels a lot better - far smooth, faster (obviously) and actually better mpg too. I do think the 2 biggest improvements are down to the S3 short shift and the ECS mount though

Also 2 more quick pics

1. coming over Glenshee on the way home from the girlfriends:

2. A friends birthday present to me - a custom print from his side venture Performance Prints - he can customise the drawings to your wheels and mods etc too :)

Offline Washout

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2016, 11:04:03 pm »
Tidy motor dude. How u finding the airtech inter cooler, what was the fitment like. Cheers

Offline Greigzy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2016, 11:11:37 pm »
Only completed about 50 miles with it on and still need to take logs to compare the difference from the standard GTI cooler, to the S3 and airtec cooler.

It seems to perform well, seems to pull a little better and stay on boost a little longer - but this could be down to replacing the buggered diverter valve haha.

It's really fitted ahead of fitting my K04. The S3 cooler I believe is more than adequate for the K03 and I'm hoping the airtec will give me that little bit more over the S3 when the K04 is fitted.

Offline Washout

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2016, 11:19:55 pm »
How about the pipe work dude I know the forge fitment isn't supposed to be that good so I was considering the airtech as its cheaper and highly rated by the ford lot.

Offline Greigzy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2016, 11:53:35 pm »
Pipe work seems ok - it come with the option of either the GTI cooler connections which are easily removed if you have an s3 cooler or uprated cooler. The seem strong and unlikely to collapse under pressure etc.

The turbo outlet to intercooler (not the twin cooler) inlet was a little difficult, but managed to adjust it into place with no real issues. Unsure how these compare to the forge versions - this came up for sale locally at a very good price and it was almost silly not to go for it.

Offline Greigzy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2016, 08:35:02 pm »
So the car has been running great since I spunked a heap of money on it a few month ago.

Me being me, I have fettled with a few things over the past couple of months.

1. 2 new rear wheel bearings as they were minced.

2. 'R32' rear lights - to save myself £200 I split the existing items and painted the silver innards black. All went well until I cracked the plastic on the passenger side light  . So it has 3 homemade R32 lights and 1 genuine one at this time  :grin:.

3. My old knob was looking a little worn out, so replaced it with a mk6 gti version - nice know with red stitched gaitor to match the handbrake.

4. Fitted my Kufatec heated seat and electric bolster loom - not a hard job, but took a fair amount of time. As Kufatec only make this for the LHD cars, I ended up switching the driver and passenger seat looms over so that the control module was on the driver seat. This saved extending the loom. The only change then to fitting the loom, was switching the wires that go into the plug for the climatronic around (pins 10 and 11). Enabled them with vagcom and turned off the seat occupancy and it worked first time  :smiley:.

Trying to remember that this is a 'cheap' daily while I save for a house, so sold the K04 and the KW's. The only future plans I have are to fit my highline clocks that I have, fit an android headunit that looks like an RNS510 so I get bluetooth etc and fit xenons as they look ace. Also contemplating going back to Monza II's or pescaras etc over the current wheels for a more OEM feel.