Make a donation

Author Topic: URGENT oil pressure stop engine  (Read 189154 times)

Offline Pesky jones

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 18
Re: URGENT oil pressure stop engine
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2016, 06:30:53 pm »
Ok

Anyone know if there is a way I can check the cam chain hasnt slipped a tooth?

If I can do this I can work on the assumption that it is oil related and set about cleaning oil pick up pipe and sump.

Thanks

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2016, 08:31:52 pm »
http://blog.micksgarage.com/golf-gti-oil-strainer-cleaning/

Im going to follow this guide and clean / inspect it

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2016, 10:00:44 pm »
Having just read this from the beginning........Prepare for a new engine  :sad1:
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=ssk7v59cdboa4p4va40jdoehr1&/topic,19740.0.html

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2016, 10:36:37 pm »
Having just read this from the beginning........Prepare for a new engine  :sad1:

Do you not think its the oil pick up pipe? It looks like its not seized...

http://blog.micksgarage.com/golf-gti-oil-strainer-cleaning/

Im going to follow this guide and clean / inspect it

Youll need the 5mm hex which is 100mm long. If you dont have that you'll struggle and break something

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/260791428101?adgroupid=13936810266&hlpht=true&hlpv=2&rlsatarget=pla-144478436466&adtype=pla&ff3=1&lpid=122&poi=&ul_noapp=true&limghlpsr=true&ff19=0&googleloc=1006786&device=c&chn=ps&campaignid=220881786&crdt=0&ff12=67&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff14=122&viphx=1&ops=true&ff13=80

If i wasnt away next week I would offer to come and help.

Thabks rich thats very kind of you. I think I have one as parr of my halfords allen key, they all have a ball end, but I bet theres no 5mm!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 10:42:38 pm by Peskyjones »

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2016, 10:44:38 pm »
Damage is done very quickly, sometime even before the oil pressure light illuminates.... the cutting out part and not starting again sounds pretty terminal
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2016, 10:49:51 pm »
Damage is done very quickly, sometime even before the oil pressure light illuminates.... the cutting out part and not starting again sounds pretty terminal

True, but It is trying to start, I thought the ecu may be telling it not to because it wasnt getting the oil?

Please correct me if.im wrong in.thinking this is the case!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 10:53:28 pm by Peskyjones »

Offline Chris92

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 35
  • If you're smart in this world they call you crazy
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,109742.0.html
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2016, 11:01:31 pm »
I'm i little confused, have you stated it since it came off the track?

If you lasted tried it on the track it maybes because the engine had nipped up with the heat (metal expanding) and no oil, so if you tried when it had cooled down it might start up. My mates clio used to just stop at junctions etc and in the end it because it had basically no oil in and the engine was nipping up tight, fresh oil in and still runs to this day.

Id guess the pick up pipe as well, I've had two 2.0 tfsi's and changing the pipe up was one of my first jobs I did after hearing the stories, both were very clean but it gives me peace of mind.

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2016, 11:20:03 pm »
I came off the track, turned the engine off. Checked the oil level, oil was fine and no leaks. Started it up again and drove to the paddock and as I was coming to a stop, it cut out, pretty much where I wanted it to stop. After that I tried to turn it back on, and it wouldn't. So - warning light, engine off, engine on, engine cutout, won't turn back on. Looking back it seems so obvious that I shouldn't have turned it back on.

I'm praying it is the oil pick up pipe, I will be carless for quite a while if not :scared:

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2016, 11:40:41 pm »
That's where you went wrong peskyjones, you had the warning sign like many other vag owners but failed to adhere to it and tried to fire her up again and more than once not realising what damage it's causing or has caused by now. I'm in no way having a go at you so please don't think I am.

Just chance it and replace the pick up pipe and all fingers” crossed here for you mate  :happy2:

Thanks

R5
« Last Edit: January 29, 2024, 12:49:10 am by r5gtt »

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2016, 11:57:34 pm »
Yeah I agree, I made a silly and costly mistake and definitely shouldn't have turned it on again. If anything this thread might serve a purpose to others with the consequences of doing so. I've now read a few stories where people have got to it in time and it looks like they've saved it. Difference being theirs didn't cut out, even though most of them have continued to drive after turning it off and on again (it's not fair)

But yeah, I'm going to replace the oil pick up and clean it out tomorrow, and if that doesn't work, take it to a garage for inspection.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 12:05:00 am by Peskyjones »

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2016, 12:08:51 am »
peskyjones for some unknown reason some do actually get away with starting up and driving away without any issues but that's a warning to them.
Unfortunately yours did cut out hence others are pointing you towards a possible new engine  :sad1:
That's what happened to me but I carried on driving knowing what would happen but I had to get off the motorway and I was a  lot younger and thought feckle it I'll get another engine but don't wanna be stuck on the motorway which fair enough it got me another five miles knocking the he'll out of the bottom end and finally seized dead and tick tick when Mr AA man came saying it was the head that was knackered thinking I was a dumb guy. I went and bought a complete engine for £120 off the scrap yard Luckily it was only a 1.9  gti and parts were cheap then.

Hopefully you'll escape the stress and be able to get the car running as nice as it was before this incident  :smiley:

Have a read 》》》
http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=36395.0

R5

« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 10:54:56 am by r5gtt »

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2016, 09:56:35 am »
Thanks @r5gtt yeah ive read that thread, probably read everyone on the internet right now haha.

If I take the sump off today to clean, would it be ok to leave it off untill next weekend when I can get some sealant and a filter and then put it back then?

Or should I put the sump back on, without sealant and only do a couple of bolts just to hold it up?

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2016, 10:17:46 am »
Your welcome mate,

NO NO NO  :surprised: please knock it back up with a few bolts so it doesn't get contaminated with dust dirt particals and again cause issues.

R5

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2016, 10:33:47 am »
Thanks,

Is it alright to leave it on axle stands on the semi circle wishbone mount type things for a week?

Plan today is get the sump off and get everything clean, then.next weekend reattach sump and.cleaned pick up pipe and re oil and then try turning it over then.