Make a donation

Author Topic: URGENT oil pressure stop engine  (Read 191384 times)

Offline r5gtt

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
Re: URGENT oil pressure stop engine
« Reply #75 on: February 29, 2016, 12:18:19 pm »
If the engine turns over by hand means it must be an issue with the top end doh  :stupid:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 672
« Reply #76 on: February 29, 2016, 12:27:55 pm »
Well yeah, but he was worried his engine is completely seized, meaning a massive bill.   Confirming that isn't the case with a quick tug on the crank bolt would certainly ease MY mind!!

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 18
« Reply #77 on: February 29, 2016, 12:29:41 pm »
Yeah true. I personally think one of the cams has skipped a tooth and thats where the P0011 code has come from.

If it doesnt start ill tow it to a garage for inspection.

Thanks guys, apologise for my naivety.

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #78 on: February 29, 2016, 12:30:24 pm »
@pudding I think the doh :stupid: was referring to me :ashamed:

Offline Greenman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 12
  • Life is not a straight line!
« Reply #79 on: February 29, 2016, 02:42:22 pm »
Sorry to hear this.

Hope you get it sorted and it doesn't hurt your wallet too much.

Cars eh!
Steel Grey 2006 Mk5 GTI - R-TECH Stage 1 (268bhp/334ftlb) - BCS Cat Back - Pre-Cat Delete - Carbonio Panel Filter - Rev G DV - 18" BBS CH - Leather - RNS510 - Colour Coded Bumpers and Skirts - ED30 Front Splitter - Eibach Sportlines - Open Fog Grilles - Wind Deflectors.

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #80 on: February 29, 2016, 04:16:25 pm »
So. Picked up oil and sealant today. Ive seen that some get the o ring for the pick up pipe, do I need a new one? Obviously no car makes it very difficult to get to a dealer :(

Im going to refit the sump and then try to turn the engine at the crankshaft nut.

If it does turn, this means that damage is top end? My thoughts are that if they cam chain had slipped or split completely, then surely it either would have gone bang, and stopped running straight away? And if it had only slipped a little, why did it keep running, and then start again after being off only to cut out again shortly afterwards?

Offline Markis236

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
  • If in dout boost it out !
    • Email
  • My Ride: Mk5 golf gti (ko3) mods. Audi s3 8p intercooler,psi tuning 2.5' throttle pipe,updated diverted valve,revo oil catch can
« Reply #81 on: February 29, 2016, 04:33:40 pm »
Possibly cam chain is jumped and smashed some valves if it turns over by hand take the plugs out and try a compression test that will tell you if any valves or smashed

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #82 on: February 29, 2016, 04:56:19 pm »
Compression test sounds like it needs some specific tools, is that a garage job? Well if turn the crankshaft and there is resistance, and it doesnt turn really easily, won't thst tell me there is compression or is it a really specific compression I won't be able to detect by hand?

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=ssk7v59cdboa4p4va40jdoehr1&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #83 on: February 29, 2016, 05:06:32 pm »
Id take off the rocker cover when you are cranking the engine by hand....just to inspect the valves

Offline Sequence

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #84 on: February 29, 2016, 05:36:59 pm »
Compression test sounds like it needs some specific tools, is that a garage job? Well if turn the crankshaft and there is resistance, and it doesnt turn really easily, won't thst tell me there is compression or is it a really specific compression I won't be able to detect by hand?

There would be resistance when turning the crank thats defiantly a good place to start, though i would suggest getting it to a garage at this point could save you further headaches. Either way i hope you can get up and running again soon.

Offline flashp

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 65
« Reply #85 on: February 29, 2016, 06:22:40 pm »
If you have AA cover or similar call them and see if they can shed any light on it before they offer to recover you.
Other than that, I'd have to say my preference would be to pay a trusted garage. For me there'd be too much at stake if I went the DIY route, there's no substitute for experience.

However you proceed, good luck!  :happy2:

Gone but not forgotten :-)

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #86 on: February 29, 2016, 07:28:09 pm »
@pudding I think the doh :stupid: was referring to me :ashamed:
Sorry but yes it was  :stupid: if you don't do these checks and take it to a garage who cab turn around and say your engine us buggered when it may not be. I just don't want you to get ripped off mate. that's all  :sad1:

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309
« Reply #87 on: February 29, 2016, 07:52:08 pm »
So. Picked up oil and sealant today. Ive seen that some get the o ring for the pick up pipe, do I need a new one? Obviously no car makes it very difficult to get to a dealer :(

Im going to refit the sump and then try to turn the engine at the crankshaft nut.

If it does turn, this means that damage is top end? My thoughts are that if they cam chain had slipped or split completely, then surely it either would have gone bang, and stopped running straight away? And if it had only slipped a little, why did it keep running, and then start again after being off only to cut out again shortly afterwards?
The original oring will be ok to do what your thinking.

Don't worry about anything until you see the outcome of the cleaning the pickup pipe and hand turn of the engine has turned out.

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #88 on: February 29, 2016, 08:44:25 pm »
Will do @doylebros, im just getting ahead of myself. Once ive done the pick up pipe and hand turned the engine etc shall I try start it just incase it works?

@r5gtt yeah I appreciate it mate. The indy i will take it to is quite reputable and have helped me out the in past, they are very knowledgeable and helpfull
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 08:47:08 pm by Peskyjones »

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #89 on: February 29, 2016, 09:11:16 pm »
Will do @doylebros, im just getting ahead of myself. Once ive done the pick up pipe and hand turned the engine etc shall I try start it just incase it works?

@r5gtt yeah I appreciate it mate. The indy i will take it to is quite reputable and have helped me out the in past, they are very knowledgeable and helpfull
@Peskyjones just trying to keep your costs down  :grin: