Make a donation

Author Topic: URGENT oil pressure stop engine  (Read 189135 times)

Offline doylebros

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309
Re: URGENT oil pressure stop engine
« Reply #285 on: March 18, 2016, 06:02:54 pm »
Clips for the both hoses is a must to the cam box cover.

Metal cover gasket will be ok but a few new cover bolts if you chewed them up.

The solenoid can make starting a bit more difficult and put up a few codes but that's not going to stop you achieving what your after.

TPS will normally have the chain and tensioner in stock - fit both.

Don't undo item 7 you'll be able to slip all the items in place with the tensioner pin in - if not for what ever reason you'll have to undo it but I've had bad days with that bolt more than once!
Oil leaks will be an issue but again again if it's only a drip or squirt then carry on stop if it's a gusher.
Report back your finding.

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 18
« Reply #286 on: March 18, 2016, 06:22:11 pm »

The solenoid can make starting a bit more difficult and put up a few codes but that's not going to stop you achieving what your after.

Don't undo item 7 you'll be able to slip all the items in place with the tensioner pin in - if not for what ever reason you'll have to undo it but I've had bad days with that bolt more than once!
Oil leaks will be an issue but again again if it's only a drip or squirt then carry on stop if it's a gusher.

Will do, thanks a lot doylebros. What do you mean both hoses for the cam box cover? I didnt chew up any bolts for the cam chain cover so should be fine. Metal gasket looks ok.

How will I know if the tensioner is leaking a lot or not alot of oil once the covers are all back on?

I assume the inlet camshafy will be.correctly.timed once the notches in it are vertical and I can fit the locking.tool in

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
« Reply #287 on: March 18, 2016, 06:45:25 pm »

Will do, thanks a lot doylebros. What do you mean both hoses for the cam box cover? I didnt chew up any bolts for the cam chain cover so should be fine. Metal gasket looks ok.

How will I know if the tensioner is leaking a lot or not alot of oil once the covers are all back on?

I assume the inlet camshafy will be.correctly.timed once the notches in it are vertical and I can fit the locking.tool in

What I meant to say was the hose on the cam box cover secured with a clip (http://partscatalog.info/volkswagen/en/?i=cat_vag_models&brand=vw&number=1714&set=1728&ein=2007&f=474&hauptgr=1234567890&hg=1&grf=014565412&bf=14565&hgug=145&ug=45&parent_id=2340037&detail_id=2340092 ) - since  being at the back of the engine oil leakage towards the exhaust isn't what you want as you've got plenty new areas to deal with.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 06:48:57 pm by doylebros »

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #288 on: March 18, 2016, 06:48:53 pm »
Oh I see now, the two hoses at the back of the valve cover that I stuggled to get off. Can I just get two little screw tight clamp type if things
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 06:51:59 pm by Peskyjones »

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
« Reply #289 on: March 18, 2016, 07:05:17 pm »
Anything your happy with clip wise but oil leaking down on the exhaust isn't what you want.
You will have a lot too think about so put the battery on charge so your ready for that stage when it comes.
Take care with the fuel pipes for leakage and remove the fuel pump relay fuse if your doing the compression test.

Offline Paulo P

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #290 on: March 18, 2016, 07:54:32 pm »
To perform a compression test you can also remove the cams, that should then allow all of the valves to close completely if they aren't bent.

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #291 on: March 19, 2016, 10:21:37 am »
Tps quoted 166 for both, think im going to order them for tuesday and fit during the week.

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #292 on: March 19, 2016, 02:48:25 pm »
I'm struggling to find the prices that others can get from tps or vw, might just order this of amazon.http://www.amazon.co.uk/Timing-Tensioner-Sprocket-06F109217A-06D109229B/dp/B0183Y8NY4

Not sure if genuine or not however

Offline dazza

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 190
  • Coding Boffin
    • Email
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=ssk7v59cdboa4p4va40jdoehr1&/topic,90967.msg917089.html#msg917089

05 | Tornado Red | DSG

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #294 on: March 19, 2016, 03:26:49 pm »
Cheers daz think ill go for that. Then once its fixed ill probably replace all with genuine, but for 30 for now isnt bad. Think il order that tonight

Offline Paulo P

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #295 on: March 19, 2016, 03:45:41 pm »
There's no point in replacing the chain just yet, you're probably going to have to remove the head anyway so unbolt the cams and do a compression test that way, you'll have to remove the cams to remove the head anyway so it's not a wasted exercise.

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #296 on: March 19, 2016, 03:53:31 pm »
To be honest I don't think il have time to remove head, and either wait for current head to be repaired or wait for new head. I think my best option is to refit a cheap chain and tensioner, time it up, hand crank it, compression test it, hope that only one or two valves have bent and that the engine will run even if in limp mode so I can drive it somewhere to have the head removed and repaired. I did as r5gtt suggested and bought the future in laws some wine to try and butter them up but I think I've still only got one week, two max and it'll take longer than that to sort out the head. It's a shame because strangely enough I'm enjoying the various bits of work I'm doing and would like the chance to take the head off to better understand the engine. Plus it would be serious DIY points in my books

Offline dazza

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 190
  • Coding Boffin
    • Email
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=ssk7v59cdboa4p4va40jdoehr1&/topic,90967.msg917089.html#msg917089
« Reply #297 on: March 19, 2016, 03:59:47 pm »
I used aftermarket parts when i did mine. Purchased a IWIS/JWIS chain from the states. And this tensioner.

I believe IWIS supply the chains for most european brands.

https://www.europaparts.com/timing-chain-tensioner-06f109217a.html

05 | Tornado Red | DSG

Offline Paulo P

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #298 on: March 19, 2016, 04:02:13 pm »
Sorry but if there are bent valves you don't want to drive it anywhere! There is also no point in re-fitting everything to take it to a garage to fit new valves.

Simply unbolt the 2 cams & all 4 spark plugs and compression test it that way, if it has decent compression on all 4 cylinders that's great, if not just get it recovered to a garage in that state.

In my opinion the head will have to come off anyway so you have nothing to lose.

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #299 on: March 19, 2016, 04:16:54 pm »
 I Really dont meen to disregard anyones opinion, without these opinions I wouldnt be anywhere near as far as ive come. But ive now ordered the 30£ chain and tensioner, If I fit these I can compression test it without the engine starting, and if I see good compression with this I will know its good to go? If not, then It is only 30£ and my time, which I dont mind spending either for what it will tell me  :signLOL: