Make a donation

Author Topic: URGENT oil pressure stop engine  (Read 190876 times)

Offline r5gtt

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
Re: URGENT oil pressure stop engine
« Reply #315 on: March 20, 2016, 08:29:12 pm »
The oil pressure message was illuminated due to the tensioner failure imo.

Yes you'll most likely have bent the inlet side valves so get to it and fit the parts on as I for one want to know you've got it running  :jumping:

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 18
« Reply #316 on: March 20, 2016, 08:58:23 pm »
But what failed in the tensioner?

Haha cheers mate apreicate the support and advice as ever. I probably will but just want to try a cheap option first incase by some miracle no valves have bent. It will also tell me if it was the tensioner that brought about low oil pressure

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=ssk7v59cdboa4p4va40jdoehr1&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #317 on: March 20, 2016, 09:02:46 pm »
It hasn't from what I can see. Some of the plastic is missing but it still should have been tensioning the chain before it snapped.

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #318 on: March 20, 2016, 09:14:18 pm »
But what failed in the tensioner?

Haha cheers mate apreicate the support and advice as ever. I probably will but just want to try a cheap option first incase by some miracle no valves have bent. It will also tell me if it was the tensioner that brought about low oil pressure
Wear and tear will cause any tensioner to fail. I replaced one in an a6 1.8t because it rattled like a tractor for a few years before the engine died although I told him to replace it ages back. I removed the rocker and found bits broken and some almost dropping down the side into the block iirc. Gathered it all up as best I could, replaced the tensioner with a eurocarparts one fitted the cam back in place and started the car and wow to my astonishment car started straight away and sounded well compared to what it was.

As for trying to start the car with a snapped chain I'd say valves are bent.

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #319 on: March 20, 2016, 10:12:46 pm »
It hasn't from what I can see. Some of the plastic is missing but it still should have been tensioning the chain before it snapped.

Exactly, so what caused the loss of pressure. Unless its something that is not obvious. The oil is fed from the head through a gauze in tensioner, so unless this somehow blocked I dont know. All I think I can do is fit new chain and tensionser and start it to see if I get the pressure message. If compression test comes back bad then I will just have to replace the head or have it repaired

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #320 on: March 20, 2016, 10:34:33 pm »
Hy buddy

Just got back from holiday and was interested to see what had happened to your oil problem. I am sorry to see that your chain has snapped, i honestly thought it was just blocked and had fingers crossed for you.

On a side note, is a snapped chain something that VW may help with cost of repair? Shouldnt really snap at all and should surely last time of the engine?

Hi mate hope you had a good holiday. No worries! Im not going to deny the false hope but you wernt to know :smiley:

I might drop an email to vw but I doubt theyll help. No doubt it will go nowhere. Anyone want a bet on the reason they give? Remap? Mileage? Winner gets a snapped cam chain

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 672
« Reply #321 on: March 21, 2016, 09:55:53 am »

Exactly, so what caused the loss of pressure. Unless its something that is not obvious. The oil is fed from the head through a gauze in tensioner, so unless this somehow blocked I dont know. All I think I can do is fit new chain and tensionser and start it to see if I get the pressure message. If compression test comes back bad then I will just have to replace the head or have it repaired

My gauze was like new.  I think that's there to catch any bearing crumbs as the majority of the crud that flows through the engine is trapped by the oil filter.  Anyway, this oil pressure thing.  If you consider a pump just creates volume / flow and bearing clearances / tensioners etc create the pressure...... if the tensioner suddenly fails, that's a fair bit of pressure suddenly releasing, which could have triggered the warning light.

TBH I think you need to let that go and focus on the task at hand  :wink:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #322 on: March 21, 2016, 10:49:50 am »

My gauze was like new.  I think that's there to catch any bearing crumbs as the majority of the crud that flows through the engine is trapped by the oil filter.  Anyway, this oil pressure thing.  If you consider a pump just creates volume / flow and bearing clearances / tensioners etc create the pressure...... if the tensioner suddenly fails, that's a fair bit of pressure suddenly releasing, which could have triggered the warning light.

TBH I think you need to let that go and focus on the task at hand  :wink:

Haha well im not doing anything untill the chain and tesnioner gets here wednesday so just thinking. I agree, but the tensioner doesnt look like its failed! Ok ok ill let it go for now lol

Offline flashp

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 65
« Reply #323 on: March 21, 2016, 10:52:36 am »
10/10 for perseverance Peskyjones.  :happy2:
Nearly a month on I would have paid a garage before now.  :laugh:

Gone but not forgotten :-)

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #324 on: March 21, 2016, 10:54:46 am »
Haha its not perserverance mate its money! Just buying our first house so every bit of dollar is going on that! Has it been a month  :sad1:

Offline flashp

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 65
« Reply #325 on: March 21, 2016, 11:00:20 am »
Haha its not perserverance mate its money! Just buying our first house so every bit of dollar is going on that! Has it been a month  :sad1:
Well, good for you whatever your reasons!
I would have said f**k it by now  :signLOL:

Can understand your reasons though.
Hope you get to the bottom of it all soon and get it back together ASAP.  :happy2:

Gone but not forgotten :-)

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #326 on: March 21, 2016, 02:08:37 pm »
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sealey-CT955-Petrol-Engine-Compression/dp/B000R9ZK5O/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1458568769&sr=8-2&keywords=Compression+gauge

Thinking of this compression gauge. My mate at work couldn't find his :( anyone know if it will fit? Also, what spark plugs do we have? I've got a 21mm plug socket and a smaller one but I can't remember the size of the smaller

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 672
« Reply #327 on: March 21, 2016, 02:12:44 pm »
Yeah that will do the job!

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=ssk7v59cdboa4p4va40jdoehr1&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #328 on: March 21, 2016, 04:53:48 pm »
Sparks are about 10-14mm I think. Get the proper tool from halfords that's long and magnetic.

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #329 on: March 21, 2016, 06:14:03 pm »
That kit will only work once the engine is timed up and using the starter/compression stroke to build compression..... by then you might aswell attempt starting it and seeing if it runs....

Which it wont (or wont run properly) as you will have valve damage..... these are interference engines... you cant turn the engine over with half the valves not moving without at least some of them making contact with a piston
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 06:18:58 pm by Dan_FR »
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales