Make a donation

Author Topic: URGENT oil pressure stop engine  (Read 191211 times)

Offline Paulo P

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
Re: URGENT oil pressure stop engine
« Reply #360 on: March 22, 2016, 08:18:23 pm »
Thinking about it, to remove the cam girdle il have to remove the cambelt as discussed. If I just slip this off, if the compression test comes back good, then surely I can just slip it back on provided it goes back in the same position? Then just time it up with new chain and tensioner and theoretically it should start.

Few questions – Once the cam girdle bolts are undone, will everything just pull up with it? Cam pulleys etc

-once the girdle comes off the cylinder head, do I leave that and everything else off ? (valve cover, cam cover etc) for the compression test?

Firstly do not consider re-using that belt, if you re-use that belt and it snaps a few months down the line you will be kicking yourself.

When you come to fit the belt you will have to time up the cam and crank again onto their marks, you can't take anything for granted and you'll have rotated the crank several times and removed that cam, nothing will remain in the same position.

To perform a compression test you won't need any of the covers on, that's the beauty of doing it this way because you're performing it mid strip down.

Offline doylebros

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309
« Reply #361 on: March 22, 2016, 08:23:40 pm »
Pesky keep in mind to spend as little as possible to allow you to do a sensible evaluation.

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 18
« Reply #362 on: March 23, 2016, 08:42:07 am »
Thinking about it, to remove the cam girdle il have to remove the cambelt as discussed. If I just slip this off, if the compression test comes back good, then surely I can just slip it back on provided it goes back in the same position? Then just time it up with new chain and tensioner and theoretically it should start.

Few questions – Once the cam girdle bolts are undone, will everything just pull up with it? Cam pulleys etc

-once the girdle comes off the cylinder head, do I leave that and everything else off ? (valve cover, cam cover etc) for the compression test?

Firstly do not consider re-using that belt, if you re-use that belt and it snaps a few months down the line you will be kicking yourself.

When you come to fit the belt you will have to time up the cam and crank again onto their marks, you can't take anything for granted and you'll have rotated the crank several times and removed that cam, nothing will remain in the same position.

To perform a compression test you won't need any of the covers on, that's the beauty of doing it this way because you're performing it mid strip down.

Hm. In that case would it be worth doing the compression test with the cams out? If I leave the cams in, time it back up with the new chain and tensioner and then do the compression test by hand cranking it, that would give me the same result wouldn't it? Plus then if I had good compression then the cambelt would still be on, and I wouldn't need to do all the work of refitting and buying a new cambelt.

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #363 on: March 23, 2016, 09:20:46 am »
You've done well pesky mate  :happy2: just fit it all up and turn her over ffs stop playing with your balls.  :signLOL:  :drinking:

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=ssk7v59cdboa4p4va40jdoehr1&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #364 on: March 23, 2016, 10:07:03 am »
Yeah that's the correct type. 16 MM. I think but cannot check as away from home.

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #365 on: March 23, 2016, 11:28:12 am »
Chain, tensioner and compression tester have just turned up, just waiting on the spark plug remover tool now. Supposed to be here tomorrow.

I’ll fit the the chain and tensioner tonight, and do the compression test with it timed up by turning the crank by hand. Fingers crossed I can get the chain on without removing the adjustor.

I think ill struggle with getting the inline camshaft to line up correctly. Am I right in thinking that once the notches are vertical in the camshaft and the cam locking tool fits in snug then that will be correctly timed for me to put the chain on? When I was turning the inlet cam by hand with the tool, with the valve cover off to observe the camshaft, I could only turn it once, because at the back of the engine there is a metal line in the way (I think coolant?) this pipe does bend but I don’t want to push it too far incase it  snaps. Have to have a play tonight

Offline dazza

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 190
  • Coding Boffin
    • Email
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=ssk7v59cdboa4p4va40jdoehr1&/topic,90967.msg917089.html#msg917089
« Reply #366 on: March 23, 2016, 11:48:23 am »
I don't think you will get the chain on without removing the adjustor.

05 | Tornado Red | DSG

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #367 on: March 23, 2016, 11:54:24 am »
Whys that, is the sprocket for the chain attached to the adjuster? Because if not, then even if I removed the adjuster id be in the exact same position.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 672
« Reply #368 on: March 23, 2016, 12:23:14 pm »
Yeah the sprocket and adjuster are one part.

With the cams lined up, the tool will drop in and lock them together, but there is still some movement.   On the adjuster there is a peg which slots into a keyway on the exhaust cam, so it can only go on one way.   You pop the chain round both sprockets so that the peg on the adjuster is near as dammit lined up, then if necessary, tweak the inlet cam slightly until the peg locates.  Done.   If you can't get the adjuster onto the exhaust cam, keep removing it and playing with the chain position until you do it.  Took me a couple of attempts.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #369 on: March 23, 2016, 01:43:55 pm »
I see.

I've got a mate coming tonight to help out, mainly to hold the bit in the adjustor whilst I turn it.

Ive just wondered in to town to Halfords to see if my spark plug socket had turned up yet but it hadn't - however, ive bought just a standard 10mm spark plug socket without the long reach. It has a 1/2" drive so I will be able to put it on an extender to get it to reach. It's not magnetic, instead it has the rubber grommet. Matey in Halfords said that if it didn't work I could bring it back to them, but I cant see why it shouldn't work. Also on £4.50 compared to the £14 one I had ordered.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=ssk7v59cdboa4p4va40jdoehr1&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #370 on: March 23, 2016, 03:06:53 pm »
Sparks are defo 16mm mate.

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #371 on: March 23, 2016, 03:10:17 pm »
Well the hex is 16mm but its.called a 10mm? Pretty sure I got the right one

Offline rich83

• Thank You
    • MK5 Golf GTI
« Reply #372 on: March 23, 2016, 03:12:45 pm »
lol... makes 0% sense but hey!!  :signLOL:

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #373 on: March 23, 2016, 03:14:36 pm »
lol... makes 0% sense but hey!!  :signLOL:
Yes that's what they call a spark plug socket 10mm   :stupid: people. 

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #374 on: March 23, 2016, 06:33:42 pm »
So fell at the first hurdle :signLOL:

Just tried to turn the camshaft to so I could put the cam locking tool in to tske the adjuster off but the camshaft will only turn once???