Make a donation

Author Topic: URGENT oil pressure stop engine  (Read 189185 times)

Offline rich83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=ssk7v59cdboa4p4va40jdoehr1&/topic,19740.0.html
Re: URGENT oil pressure stop engine
« Reply #750 on: April 15, 2016, 09:29:34 pm »
Yeah its a pain... i used A LOT of brake cleaner!

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309
« Reply #751 on: April 15, 2016, 09:33:36 pm »
Yeah its a pain... i used A LOT of brake cleaner!

The above pays dividends as it stops the customer bring the vehicle back saying "I've got oil on my block paving who do I give the cleaning bill too"!

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 18
« Reply #752 on: April 15, 2016, 09:35:47 pm »
Thanks John. Well since ive got the oil out of the casting webs yesterday lunch time it hasnt come back. Theres still residue which I will try to clean tomorrow.

I did think maybe its just in my head but my girlfriend said she could smell it today.

Either way I will do as you said and give it a massive clean tomorrow.

I wont bother removing the hpfp when I replace the valve cover gasket tomorrow, unless im forgetting something and need to....?

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
« Reply #753 on: April 15, 2016, 09:41:21 pm »
Thanks John. Well since ive got the oil out of the casting webs yesterday lunch time it hasnt come back. Theres still residue which I will try to clean tomorrow.

I did think maybe its just in my head but my girlfriend said she could smell it today.

Either way I will do as you said and give it a massive clean tomorrow.

I wont bother removing the hpfp when I replace the valve cover gasket tomorrow, unless im forgetting something and need to....?

Forgive the girl friend, she would say she's seen little green men under the hood if it stopped you talking about the car!

I wouldn't be in a hurry to do the gasket till I had the vacuum pump and just enjoy the driving and running around in the car.

I would want to do both jobs when the vehicle was stone cold, first thing in the morning when the oil has all drained back to the sump - less cleaning and a easier life.

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #754 on: April 15, 2016, 09:47:36 pm »
Haha that is too true. Your're very good at understanding situations without physical presence doylebros. Probably a big factor in helping me throughout the thread :congrats:

Ok, as eager as I am to have it all done, that does make sense and I will do that.

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #755 on: April 16, 2016, 10:33:01 am »
@doylebros I cant get down the back beneath the rear breathers with them still connected, and to disconnect them I have to remove the valve cover. I might as well do it now so I can give the back of the cover and the heat shield a proper clean, right? If I dont remove the valve cover then ill only be giving it a half hearted clean and will just have to clean it again underneath thr rear breathers when I do the gasket if I were to do it another time.

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #756 on: April 16, 2016, 11:57:21 am »
Scratch that its pissing it down so cant do anything. I will replace gasket, vac pump and clean everything all in one go next week. If its not raining...

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
« Reply #757 on: April 16, 2016, 06:37:20 pm »
Scratch that its pissing it down so cant do anything. I will replace gasket, vac pump and clean everything all in one go next week. If its not raining...

Now you've got the vehicle running and usable all your repairs should be planned with comfort and enjoyability in mind Pesky - remember your doing this cause you want to learn and get the "I done that feeling" from the job. :driver:

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #758 on: April 17, 2016, 11:08:08 am »

Now you've got the vehicle running and usable all your repairs should be planned with comfort and enjoyability in mind Pesky - remember your doing this cause you want to learn and get the "I done that feeling" from the job. :driver:

True, I just want to make sure the engine is running ok as it is. Not sure if I can smell petrol in the cabin when I first start the car now. Think im going to replace the sealbon the hpfp as well because ive that hpfp in and out a number of times. The only fuel related work ive done is to the hpfp and associated fuel lines so ill try that first.

Im going to see my mates leon fr later to see how thats running and smelling lol

Offline vRSAlex

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 253
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19941.0.html
« Reply #759 on: April 17, 2016, 02:34:16 pm »
The seal on the pump isn't to seal fuel, but oil so unless it's split you don't need to change it.

www.akstuning.co.uk - info@akstuning.com - 01234 822324
Follow AKS tuning on Facebook

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #760 on: April 17, 2016, 06:12:12 pm »
Thanks Alex, I might not bother then.

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #761 on: April 19, 2016, 03:34:33 pm »
Vaccum pump turned up today,  REV F so the seal ive bought (for the second time) should fit.

Im going to replace the vac pump and valve cover gasket this week as well as giving it a dam good clean - like a doctor, not a nurse  :wink: hopefully tomorrow.

In other news, since ive had the car running again, there is a noise that im not a hundred percent sure on in the engine. It isn't a loud or even very noticeable noise, its only because ive been listening to the engine since it running again that ive been able to pick it up. I doubt a passenger or walker by would notice it. Its hard to record, and you can only hear it in the video if you watch it in a quiet place.  It does actually make the noise whenever the engine is on, but you can hear it from 15 seconds to 20 seconds most clearly. It kind of goes and comes every second, is a low pitched surge type noise. I cant remember if it did it before or after the cam chain snap!

Im trying to go and see my mates leon FR to listen to that run, but his is a bwa so may run differently anyway.

here's the video

« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 03:41:13 pm by Peskyjones »

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #762 on: April 21, 2016, 02:24:31 pm »
Anyone got any ideas on the above noise?

In other news, I met up with my mate with the leon FR, and his smelt the same as mine when you stuck your head in the bay so I think it was just excess oil. Definitley replacing the vac pump but in two minds about the valve cover gasket now... don't think its leaking - think it was just excess oil that's now been burnt.

I couldn't hear the noise that mine makes on his engine, although I couldn't hear it on mine at that time either! (cars going past etc.)

Im not sure I posted this or not already, but when I was removing the pcv, two of the bolt heads had sheared off whilst undoing them.  This means its only held on by two out of four screws, both at one side of the PCV, but it seems to have a good seal. Wondering if this could be it. When I replace the vac pump (and possibly the valve cover gasket – depending on people opinion) im going to try and get the two PCV valve bolt shafts out of the valve cover someone… not really sure how tbh. If I get them out then ill replace and see if it sorts the noise
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 02:31:16 pm by Peskyjones »

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #763 on: April 23, 2016, 10:31:42 am »
Just got started and its started raining :fighting:

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #764 on: April 23, 2016, 11:42:03 am »
Working in between dry bits lol. Just replaced vacuum pump and cleaned up the gearbox.

Now to decided whether its worth doing to valve cover gasket in between rain... it is generally sunny and the rain obly lasts for a couple a mins at a time