Make a donation

Author Topic: Going Stage 2+  (Read 31825 times)

Offline Madone

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 27
Re: Going Stage 2+
« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2016, 04:02:03 pm »
I think the point with hear soak is not down to how much heat the cooler attracts but how quickly it cools back down. When the car is stationary all coolers will heat up based on where temp in the engine bay. It's how quickly that temperature drops when you start moving and how efficiently it disapeats that heat. They all get hot then cool down when moving, but the less efficient ones hold that heat. So as soon as you stop or slow down temps go back up

I had a stage 1 airtech, worked well, got hot when stationary and cooled fairly quickly when moving. I switched to a peron, noticed a big difference in this recovery of soaked in heat. It runs cooler anyway during general driving, but the way it gets rid of the hear after a good soaking is most impressive. It felt like the airtech and def the oem were fighting the soaked in heat and once soaked would be a struggle to consistently keep the temps down.

Also the ecu will pull timing way before 50deg, as soon as it senses knock it will pull,  an important factor to prevent knock (as well as octane) is temp. So the colder you can keep things the more timing you can run. Hence you can run water meth kits with mainly water to just lower charge temps and wind your timing up. Obviously adding meth increases octane with is another boost to running more timing. But colder is definitely better  :happy2:
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 04:05:38 pm by Madone »

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2016, 04:26:51 pm »
Sorry, should have said the timing pull is most noticeable when IATs hit 50.  Before that it's quite subtle, well, I can't really feel it tbh!

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Madone

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 27
« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2016, 08:10:57 pm »
I tried running my Revo map with one extra timing value with the airtech cooler and was getting about 6deg of timing pull which I wasn't too happy to leave on, but haven't tried since fitting the Peron. Will give it a go. I'm not sure what the max timing the ecu can pull out before it goes into safe mode, guessing somewhere around 10+ deg ?.

Offline DANBOY66

• Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 55
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,74301.0.html
Going Stage 2+
« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2016, 09:31:16 pm »

Dark blue line is air intake temps
Yellow line is actually all 4 cylinders zero knock

This was my eddy on a 4th gear pull same intercooler setup I posted a picture of and 50/50 meth that car on that pull gave everything it had

It maintained 15 Deg on a full pull no way an s3 setup could do that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 09:33:01 pm by DANBOY66 »
Dan..

Seat Ibiza cupra 06 1.8T GTX2867R GEN2 track toy in the making
Passat TDI 170 DSG the Family mini cab

Offline Little_Dave

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 28
« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2016, 10:55:19 pm »
I own an S3 and can confirm that the s3 cooler isn't great on a ko4 once u start tuning the car

It's not even that great standard as would get heat soak just driving to work last summer in 30' heat, car was noticeably slower at lunchtime in the heat to early mornings or evenings

Tune the car and the problem multiplies and so on

I now run a peron cooler which is a lot better than the s3 cooler obviously and haven't had a hint of heat soak in day to day driving in the heat or even when driving the car hard, but still got heat soak at Santa pod sitting in the queue waiting to do runs

As Dan said it's all about how long it takes to recover the ambient temps and it's always a trade off with a standard fitment cooler as the air con rad covers most of the surface area

Peron airtec etc will do a better job than the s3 cooler and in my eyes is worth the upgrade but if you're serious about chasing numbers and getting the best solution the kind of cooler Dan had on his eddy would be the way to go

And before u ask why I haven't got one fitted I don't track my car and only go to the pod once or twice a year so even though I'm running 360bhp 400lbs it's perfect for the way I use the car

Dave
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 10:57:10 pm by Little_Dave »

Offline Paradox1

• Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 82
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2016, 10:29:25 am »

Dark blue line is air intake temps
Yellow line is actually all 4 cylinders zero knock

This was my eddy on a 4th gear pull same intercooler setup I posted a picture of and 50/50 meth that car on that pull gave everything it had

It maintained 15 Deg on a full pull no way an s3 setup could do that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welly cooler ftw :driver:

Offline oak_grun

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2016, 11:07:21 am »
I used a Eurojet FMIC onn my stage 2+ Ed30. :smiley:

Offline flashp

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 65
« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2016, 06:35:07 pm »
I use an S3 IC with 330bhp (stage 2) and have done a number of track days and not been aware of a problem.
At Goodwood the car is moving at up to 140mph which gives good air flow through the rads.

Granted my tune isn't wringing the engines neck for every last ounce of power, the turbo duty cycle is around 60% at present.

As an aside, I found the stage 2 Revo map to be smoother than the 2+.

I would be interested to do a back to back on a track day if it were possible before committing to a big spend which obviously isn't practical so some track gathered data rather than rolling road logs would be good to see.
I'll keep an open mind on this I think.

Next time out I'll keep an on intake temps more closely, I have Polar FIS. In the past I feel they've been below 35 degrees but can't be certain now.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 06:49:36 pm by flashp »

Gone but not forgotten :-)

Offline Chargercharger

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #53 on: October 17, 2016, 07:04:13 pm »
@Sulley91 pm regrading exhaust if still avaliable

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2017, 03:50:34 pm »
Well having looked at this post after so long I've decided I'm going welly and will cut out the frontal accommodate the welly although it looks a mother of a job. Shame I can't see exaclty what's been chopped as the front panel looks like it'll need a chop shop job to get pipes on  :doh:
@DANBOY66 we're there any other modifications needed like the front bumper to fit it like this?.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 05:08:02 pm by r5gtt »

Offline Craig Stanley

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 16
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2017, 12:44:12 pm »
niki says it's good for stage 2+ as I have the R6 ic when we had words last so that's good enough for me.
Hi. Don't suppose you have a part number for this bud.

Sent from my ZTE B2017G using Tapatalk

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #56 on: May 31, 2017, 01:31:42 am »
niki says it's good for stage 2+ as I have the R6 ic when we had words last so that's good enough for me.

sorry mate sold it a while back and now have a welly with home made piping  :doh:

Offline Craig Stanley

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2017, 07:05:46 am »

sorry mate sold it a while back and now have a welly with home made piping  :doh:
Ok. No worries. Thought it was a long shot.

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #58 on: June 01, 2017, 12:24:36 am »

Ok. No worries. Thought it was a long shot.

I'll get a mate to get the PN from his one  :happy2:

Offline Craig Stanley

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: June 01, 2017, 07:52:44 am »
That would be spot on. Thanks. I'm back at rtech on 29th September and am slowly getting my car ready. I'm no mechanic but I'm gonna tackle putting this in on my own.:-D

« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 09:23:46 am by Craig Stanley »