Make a donation

Author Topic: Dealership washed my car... Bad things happened  (Read 5802 times)

Offline jettamike

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
Re: Dealership washed my car... Bad things happened
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2016, 10:08:00 am »
I've always washed my cars carefully so yep you're right I'm mad. Their reply :

Oh we don't use tfr anymore we use some autoglym stuff so it wasn't us. He wouldn't budge from that stance either despite me insisting it wasn't like that when it went in :(

Offline Flyingscotsman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2016, 10:18:58 am »
If you've got before and after pics you are in a very good position.

Do everything in writing from now on. Send all letters by signed for recorded delivery.  Send dealer copies of before and after pics with a letter stating that it happened while car was in their passion for the service. Give them the opportunity to put it right. 
If they deny responsibility or don't reply. Get quotes to replace damaged parts. Then send them a letter stating this cost & that they can either repair or replace. Say in second letter you will take them to small claims court if they don't fix it.
You may have to take them to court, but if you have photos and copies of the letters you sent then you will win the case. You can include the court fees in the claim against them, plus interest on money you pay out on putting it right.

It really is important to have everything in writing. Phone calls and verbal agreements are no use in court.

Offline andy1979uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2016, 10:34:29 am »
My car was washed after the wings were replaced, whatever they used on the wheels dulled the calipers pink, unfortunately I had no proof of what they were like before.

Offline Juliand

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2016, 10:58:40 am »
If you've got before and after pics you are in a very good position.

Do everything in writing from now on. Send all letters by signed for recorded delivery.  Send dealer copies of before and after pics with a letter stating that it happened while car was in their passion for the service. Give them the opportunity to put it right. 
If they deny responsibility or don't reply. Get quotes to replace damaged parts. Then send them a letter stating this cost & that they can either repair or replace. Say in second letter you will take them to small claims court if they don't fix it.
You may have to take them to court, but if you have photos and copies of the letters you sent then you will win the case. You can include the court fees in the claim against them, plus interest on money you pay out on putting it right.

It really is important to have everything in writing. Phone calls and verbal agreements are no use in court.

I agree with the above. Do not let go. Collect all of your evidence, and if necessary go to small claims court - it doesn't cost a lot. Their response is so predictable. Name and shame, I say!

Offline jonnyg49

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2016, 08:01:08 am »
Defiantly don't let it go, chances are they use an external valet company. I work for a dealership and sadly we see this all the time because they just hire any old idiot and let them loose on your car with no training. Make them replace to damaged parts and bill it to the valet company.

Offline zayd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2016, 01:14:53 pm »
Pretty much all stealers do the same.  Even at the Porsche centres, you'll find a lonely guy walking around with a bucket of dirty water and a cloth, giving the cars a wipe down with grit and muck.

If my car were to go into a dealership, I always make them write down in their brief, that I don't want my car washed.

Offline jonnyg49

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2016, 01:21:29 pm »
To be extra safe print a DO NOT WASH sign and leave it in the window. ( maybe in a few different languages as well, because they are never British) 

Offline TAPPY

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 56
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,103290.0.html
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2016, 01:35:14 pm »
My car was washed after the wings were replaced, whatever they used on the wheels dulled the calipers pink, unfortunately I had no proof of what they were like before.

When I had my wings done I took photos on my iphone of the whole car when I dropped it off , they scratched both my headlights and then tried to say it was already like it, so I showed them the pics ( which also had date and time) and they had no leg to stand on

Offline jettamike

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2016, 05:20:25 pm »
Thanks for the help gents! It looks like the rest of the car has been washed with a broom to be honest! I'm pretty upset at the wheel cap things (can someone give me the name for these on the 17" classix alloys?) as they really look awful now. One of them was starting to get some white spots on it, but now they all look abused! :(

I'm just trying to price up replacement parts.

Offline doylebros

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2016, 05:31:02 pm »
Thanks for the help gents! It looks like the rest of the car has been washed with a broom to be honest! I'm pretty upset at the wheel cap things (can someone give me the name for these on the 17" classix alloys?) as they really look awful now. One of them was starting to get some white spots on it, but now they all look abused! :(

I'm just trying to price up replacement parts.
Part number for yours 1K0 601 149 J if you mean this cap style?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Volkswagen-Golf-Jetta-Classix-Alloy-Wheel-Centre-Cap-1K0601149J-VW-/322035657477?hash=item4afad22b05:g:MYkAAOSwzgRWul17