Make a donation

Author Topic: Stage One fitted!  (Read 6373 times)

Offline fish

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 4
Stage One fitted!
« on: April 05, 2016, 04:48:30 pm »
Just had Stage 1 installed on my '07 KO3 GTi.  It is absolutely fantastic!! the mid range the car has now is awesome. I have had maps on three previous cars (all from Clive Atthowe tuning Norwich) but never felt it was necessary on the GTi. But after owning the car for 5 years now with no finance payments i thought what the hell! Fitted the latest PCV revision and a Rev G dv before hand to pre empt any issues (not sure if i should have got a rev D piston type for KO3 really?)  God knows what you chaps with the ED30s with maps think of the performance post map, my little KO3 goes like a scalded cat now! I know its been said many times but anyone thinking about having stage one fitted - go for it! totally wakes the car up!. Now where's that MX5 driver that keeps getting a jump on me on my morning commute to Wymondham!  :evilgrin:

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
Re: Stage One fitted!
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 05:36:53 pm »
An mx5 got the jump on you?! Actually they can cover ground quickly if they're well driven.

Great feeling getting that extra power isn't it. Won't be long til you're pricing up Stage 2 and beyond..

Rev G is the best option by the way.

Offline Madone

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 27
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 06:39:09 pm »
Congrats, Revo maps are great, that midrange wallop is amazing as said you will get used to that and want more :smiley:

My Revo stage 2+ eddy goes very well !  :happy2:

Offline fish

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 10:02:59 pm »
Cheers guys. Car has done 80k so have already started pricing up a new clutch and flywheel! I think the general consensus is with stage 1 I can just go OEM replacement.  Never been a first gear merchant,  also got to resist  putting too much torque through it in the high gears/low revs.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 10:06:22 pm »
If there's even the slightest chance of you getting the tuning bug in the future...

Go for the Helix Organic clutch with an oem dmf. Good for 400lb/ft.

Offline fish

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 10:40:48 pm »
Yes that has crossed my mind.... Rough cost on the helix? Best price I have for a SACHS clutch kit is @ £228 (dmf @ £278).

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2016, 11:56:47 pm »
750 for the clutch, dmf, slave and bolts from AKS.

Offline Madone

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2016, 07:17:04 am »
I am running a standard clutch at stage 2+, it was brand new when I bought the car so I didn't pay for it. Tbh it's holding fine at around 370bhp. I give it a easy life though, make sure it's full engaged before giving it any power, but once it's settled it gets full beans and is fine after 5k miles. If and when it goes I will upgrade it. The oem clutch has a nice feel and is light so will be happy the longer it lasts. For stage 1 on a K03 car a standard clutch will be fine, even stage 2 on a K03. As said if you think you might get the bug and go all out then think about upgrading now. Stick with a DMF too, SMF make it even harsher again.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 07:20:30 am by Madone »

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2016, 08:13:57 am »
Standard clutch will be fine. Stage 1 really transforms the midrange, Stage 2 adds a little more at the top end, with stage 2+ really waking up the midrange even further allowing the car to pull much harder from low down.

I'm currently Stage 2+ with meth and my standard clutch is still just about coping after 14k of normal use. The odd little bit of slip in 6th if I load it up too early but its otherwise fine.

FYI you can buy the whole clutch system (2 piece kit, DMF, bolts and the CSC) for around £380 from Carparts4less - all LUK items - This is what I did  :happy2: Use discount code 'Saveme75'
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline Madone

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2016, 11:59:08 am »
Dan, you on K03 ? Or 04 ?, that must be interesting on meth ?!, guess you can run loads of timing ?, what sort of bhp are you making ?

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2016, 12:35:23 pm »
FR rather than Cupra, so only a baby K03. :signLOL:

On Revo's 2+ file I've maxed out the software and can run both Boost and Timing on 9, which sees actual ignition timing in the low 20's by 6000 rpm. Not had it near a dyno in a long time unfortunately - all of my local places want £60-100 for a simple dyno run! MAF reading is pretty healthy though, usually see around 230 g/s peak with very little lambda correction

Meth makes a huge difference though, probably my favourite power mod to date
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline Madone

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2016, 02:26:00 pm »
Haha, good work

How much does it inject/how long does the tank last etc ?, sorry slightly off topic guys  :smiley:

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2016, 02:56:16 pm »
I have an AKS Throttle Body spacer so it injects post TB. The stuff lasts ages. I bought 25 litres over 12 months ago (along with 25 litres of deionised water) and I've only just finished it - so around 5000 miles on 50 litres worth of 50:50 mix. Obviously depends how often you drive hard as its boost activated and you really notice it when it kicks in. Only need to top it up once a month too as I use the screenwash bottle as the tank

Offline fish

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2016, 09:02:43 pm »
Cheers for the info on clutches guys.  I will see how it goes and enjoy my new found performance!

Offline Bard

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2016, 01:36:19 pm »
There are so many threads on the Revo topic I didn't know where to post. I booked mine in yesterday to get a stage 1 done (initially) after scouring tons of advice mainly on this forum and wanted to say a massive thank you to everyone involved!

As for me, well this will be the very first modification I've ever done on a car. I found I wanted something a bit different having had the car almost 4 years to the day but couldn't stomach parting with it when there was absolutely nothing wrong with how it drives or any reliability issues. To be fair the car (55 plate GTi) could do with some TLC so that's what it's getting. The alloys have been kerbed so need some work but apparently they'd been shoddily repaired once before, looking closely with the help of a workshop tech guy I can see what he means! As I needed new tyres anyway I went ahead and ordered some Rosso RR8 wheels in black last night as well.

I got quoted for Stage 2+ with the hardware requirements as well which I didn't think was too bad but in actuality was more than I wanted to spend at this stage. I see AKS has been mentioned in other posts so I'm hopeful I've got a decent and reliable place lined up to do the work. Assuming it's the place outside Bedford in Oakley?

For me it's a little money spent to give me something a bit new that the other half can still drive and has enough room for the kiddo and paraphernalia. The car's only got 90k miles on the clock now and runs fine and given my last golf went to 170k before any real work needed doing I'm hoping that putting some cash in now will pay off in the long run and she'll keep on going!

There's some cosmetic things to fix next I think but then probably moving on to Stage 2+ and the changes needed with exhaust and engine in the not too distant future. Me getting this GTi meant my father in law (for want of a better term) went and got a mk6 GTi which I laughed at but now the shoe is on the other foot as he's gone and ordered a mk 7 R...