Make a donation

Author Topic: ChrisGT's Black 5 door GT TDI 170  (Read 76590 times)

Offline Gmac

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 30
  • -Receive: 7
Re: ChrisGT's Black 5 door GT TDI 170
« Reply #165 on: April 04, 2018, 09:52:53 am »
Just been reading through your thread Chris! Great work on your car, lots of attention to detail. Did you get anything back about the clutch you fitted that the garage had to grind down to get it to fit?

I’ve not long had my graphite blue gt tdi pd170, so reading with interest the egr and manifold chat.  The manifold change certainly sounded like a lot more work than planned!

Offline ChrisGT

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 40
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,106577.0.html
« Reply #166 on: April 04, 2018, 10:22:22 am »
Just been reading through your thread Chris! Great work on your car, lots of attention to detail. Did you get anything back about the clutch you fitted that the garage had to grind down to get it to fit?

I’ve not long had my graphite blue gt tdi pd170, so reading with interest the egr and manifold chat.  The manifold change certainly sounded like a lot more work than planned!

Hey, thank you very much. I really need to do more work on my car again. Life has been a bit crazy this last year so haven't done anything with it other than put fuel in it, replaced a brake light and given it a good wash every now and then when it's not been bloody snowing. haha!

No, clutch seems to have been fine since they fitted it. I still don't quite know what the problem was that the garage had. To be honest I just needed it back on the road at the time so I didn't question them too much.

Yeah, that's why I wrote the review on the manifold change as it really wasn't very straight forward... Certainly not the bolt off, bolt on job as described on the darkside website. It's been faultless since it was fitted though other than the bolts rusting which looks rubbish. I would probably do it again if I had another 170 and the manifold needed replaced as the plastic ones with swirl flaps are so stupidly expensive.

Thanks,

Chris
It wouldn't be fun if it was easy, I just wish it wasn't this much fun.

Offline Gmac

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 30
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #167 on: April 04, 2018, 10:16:16 pm »
Yeh, know the feeling.  Mine is the work horse and daily, so it’s tricky getting the time on it.  Perhaps I’ll have a look at my manifold and egr, may be worth giving it a clean up if not swapping it out for the aluminium one. :happy2:

Offline ChrisGT

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #168 on: April 04, 2018, 10:21:17 pm »
Yeah, definitely worth giving it a good clean out. If it's anything like mine was then it'll need it!

Chris

Offline ChrisGT

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #169 on: September 30, 2018, 01:30:39 am »
Hey all,

Been ages since I posted about the golf. I still have it and have done a few things to it. This year has been super busy with a house move/renovation and other various things. The golf has had some general maintenance, service etc and a couple of things fixed/replaced. I've given it plenty of washes when I've had time but that's been about it i'm afraid. I still have a few plans for it but got to save up a bit first and then find time to do anything.

Anyway, here's what's been happening over the last few months.

After the MOT there were a couple of advisories,

Front ARB drop link had a split in it so that was replaced:

Gave it a service too:

Then I replaced all 4 wheel bearings. Front two were advisories as they had very slight play, was getting a bit of noise from one of the back ones so just did them as well. While doing one of the front ones then one of the three bolts snapped off on the lower ball joint so had to replace that as well.

New and old bearings:

New and old ball joint:

After that then the slight exhaust leak I had turned in to quite a bad one as the connecting sleeve on the exhaust had completely fallen apart, sounded good though. New one fitted:

Eever since I got the car then it had at times struggled to start. It would turn over a few times with the first turn of the key but wouldn't start but always fired up with the second turn of the key so it never bothered me much. Until the 5th of July, when it just wouldn't start or turn over at all. I checked all the obvious things but there was nothing I could see or do about it so I got the AA to come and pick up the car, hate seeing my car on the back of a recovery truck:

It turned out to be the starter motor needing replaced. The car has started perfectly first turn of the key every time every since so it's obviously been on the way out since before I got the car.

After all that, the car deserved a wash:

Cheers,

Chris

Offline ChrisGT

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #170 on: November 17, 2018, 10:48:52 pm »
ABS and Traction control lights came up again and saying it was rear left... again... So changed the rear wheel speed sensor and they've gone out again. Had to remove the hub again to remove the sensor.

I removed the securing screw for the sensor then while pulling on the sensor to remove it then the head of it came off and left the finger part sticking through the hub carrier! Doh! Removed the hub and drifted the rest of the sensor out.. Cleaned out the cavity and slipped the new one through with some silicone grease as some lube. All back together and thanfully that seems to have sorted it.

I Will hopefully have some more interesting updates in the coming year. Have just finished moving house and it needed a fair bit of work so the golf has taken the back seat, it doubles as a decent van with the back seats down but it is filthy inside now  :confused:

Chris
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 11:34:06 pm by ChrisGT »

Offline ChrisGT

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #171 on: March 20, 2019, 04:05:15 pm »
Some more maintenance the last few days.

Had a sticking front right caliper. Brakes were getting pretty hot so didn't want to damage them. I wondered if it might just be the pad slides being dirty so cleaned them up and regreased everything but still sticking. Pushed the piston further out on the caliper and could see it was getting quite corroded behind the dust seal so got a new caliper. Figured if I was going to have to bleed the brakes I might as well replace the rubber brake line as well as it was looking a bit rough in places so I got a front set of Hel braided brake lines.

Painted the new caliper, and all went together without too much bother. Can see how filthy the caliper carrier is too but didn't have time to get any paint on it so will do that another day.

Chris

SharonSot

ChrisGTs Black 5 door GT TDI 170
« Reply #172 on: April 23, 2019, 12:09:20 pm »
guys any idea how much itd cost to matt black wrap the car?

___
XEvil 4.0: best CAPTCHA's breaker, included ReCaptcha-2 and ReCaptcha-3!
(FREE DEMO available!)

Offline ChrisGT

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
Re: ChrisGTs Black 5 door GT TDI 170
« Reply #173 on: May 04, 2019, 05:14:43 am »
guys any idea how much itd cost to matt black wrap the car?

Less than it'd cost to post in the right part of the forum  :slap: :P

Anyway, Golf passed it's MOT today which is always good news. Advisory for slight play in rear antiroll bar links but I have two new ones for when I eventually get around to fitting my uprated H&R antiroll bars...

Also noticed my drivers side indicator has started flickering instead of blinking properly so have ordered a set of the sequential wing mirror indicators from V4rley in the car parts for sale section. Wanted to get them anyway but this seems like a good excuse  :grin:

Hopefully get some decent updates soon.

Chris