Make a donation

Author Topic: [MK5] Ignition barrel/switch failure? Any idea what caused it/what to do next?  (Read 2399 times)

MilesCZ

Hey!

New to the forum here but not too great with cars. Got in my car today to go help a mate with his flat battery, Connected the positive from mine to his but realized there was to much gap to connect the negative so I disconnected the positive and went to move my golf forward...

I put the key in and turned it, there was no resistance at all. No clicks, The key just moved backwards and forwards like I was rolling a toy car on a table. In the end I had to get RAC to come down and he said it was a faulty ignition switch, and that I should replace the Ignition barrel (he said just the switch was faulty but it would be easier to replace the barrel) and gave me and my ride a lift home.

Again, I'm not great when it comes to cars, looking over videos and pictures now, it feels like the lock cylinder is faulty because of how smooth turning the key is but at the same time I've been told it's the ignition switch which is faulty. Before I go ahead and buy the wrong part, Do you think it's definitely the ignition switch, or anything else?

And lastly, out of curiosity, any thoughts on what caused this?

Thanks in advance for the help  :smiley:

Offline tig202

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
Once the key has displaced all the tumblers in the lock it will turn freely. The only resistance will be the switch on the back of the barrel. If the switch is faulty it will also turn freely.Replaced quite a few of these in my time... Not too difficult to do and the original barrel can be retained
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 11:45:42 pm by tig202 »