Make a donation

Author Topic: DSG getting jerky when engine is hot  (Read 18164 times)

Offline r5gtt

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
Re: DSG getting jerky when engine is hot
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2016, 08:00:28 pm »
Well, still no progress.

No response at all from the gearbox place nearest to me.   Next plan is either to get a local place to remove the mech unit for me and I'll send it to ECU Testing for repair or try Gearbox Nottingham (although that's likely to be a £1k+ bill).

I've also found this place who are a bit nearer in Essex.  Might try and get them to look at it for me.

http://reengineeredtransmissions.co.uk/

It's one of those annoying faults that you can live with but is making the car less enjoyable when its hot.  I'm also thinking it's not going to get better and maybe will get much worse?  Need to pull my finger out this week.
Nottingham place is £850 to remove and refurb your mech unit and change the fluid. With a years warranty on it.
Rip off  :scared:
Similar to other places.Anyway i couldn't care i didn't pay for mine anyway.
I'm just saying bud  :drinking: not you the company innit lol

Offline howie1987

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 92
  • -Receive: 20
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2016, 08:02:14 pm »
Well, still no progress.

No response at all from the gearbox place nearest to me.   Next plan is either to get a local place to remove the mech unit for me and I'll send it to ECU Testing for repair or try Gearbox Nottingham (although that's likely to be a £1k+ bill).

I've also found this place who are a bit nearer in Essex.  Might try and get them to look at it for me.

It's one of those annoying faults that you can live with but is making the car less enjoyable when its hot.  I'm also thinking it's not going to get better and maybe will get much worse?  Need to pull my finger out this week.
Nottingham place is £850 to remove and refurb your mech unit and change the fluid. With a years warranty on it.
I know mate. Probably is a rip off for what they do. Thats why am glad i had warranty lol.

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2016, 08:06:11 pm »
Well, still no progress.

I know mate. Probably is a rip off for what they do. Thats why am glad i had warranty lol.
You're the fortunate one  :signLOL: I'll keep some money aside for a rainy day then  :smiley:

Offline brinks787

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2016, 03:30:51 pm »
Well, a huge thanks for recommending Bristol Gearbox Centre.

I dropped in for a chat and after a test drive and full explanation of the gearbox workings and the cause of my fault they offered to do the work there and then!

£700+Vat for the Mech Unit Valve body replacement inc fitting.  Done and dusted in a couple of hours while waiting in their nice comfy waiting room, I just had to wait a half hour for a vehicle lift to come free.  They then took me on the calibration/test drive and made sure I was happy.  Not sure what software they used but it wasn't VAG COM, it moved on at each step once it was happy the driver had done the right amount of time in the right gear.

Have to say, it's a different car.  Pulling away in 1st or reverse is silky smooth either creeping off throttle or light throttle or on a bit of power.  Gearchanges, although good before, seem smoother too.  Very happy bunny here!

The diagnosis was spot on and very different from the try it and see approach of another place I tried (would have wasted £1k on clutch pack change if I'd taken it there).

They have a nice setup with a clean workshop, 4 vehicle lifts and a lab/workshop where the repair ECU's and refurb the valve bodies. 

There were another pair in the waiting room with their Audi A4 which was done while I was there, a broken link in their ECU was the cause and this was solder repaired under microscope rather than replacing the ECU.  They showed the owner the fault and let him watch as they fixed it.  Great service.

Can't recommend them highly enough, and they really are experts in DSG, S-Tronic and Multitronic. 

One very happy bunny here :)  Sounds like a lot of money but it's really been the only spend it's needed outside of routine maintenance in the 3 years I've had it.   They also put my mind at rest about my recent VW DSG oil change, the oil that came out when they dropped it to remove the unit was lovely and fresh.

Offline howie1987

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 92
  • -Receive: 20
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2016, 03:34:03 pm »
Well, a huge thanks for recommending Bristol Gearbox Centre.

I dropped in for a chat and after a test drive and full explanation of the gearbox workings and the cause of my fault they offered to do the work there and then!

£700+Vat for the Mech Unit Valve body replacement inc fitting.  Done and dusted in a couple of hours while waiting in their nice comfy waiting room, I just had to wait a half hour for a vehicle lift to come free.  They then took me on the calibration/test drive and made sure I was happy.  Not sure what software they used but it wasn't VAG COM, it moved on at each step once it was happy the driver had done the right amount of time in the right gear.

Have to say, it's a different car.  Pulling away in 1st or reverse is silky smooth either creeping off throttle or light throttle or on a bit of power.  Gearchanges, although good before, seem smoother too.  Very happy bunny here!

The diagnosis was spot on and very different from the try it and see approach of another place I tried (would have wasted £1k on clutch pack change if I'd taken it there).

They have a nice setup with a clean workshop, 4 vehicle lifts and a lab/workshop where the repair ECU's and refurb the valve bodies. 

There were another pair in the waiting room with their Audi A4 which was done while I was there, a broken link in their ECU was the cause and this was solder repaired under microscope rather than replacing the ECU.  They showed the owner the fault and let him watch as they fixed it.  Great service.

Can't recommend them highly enough, and they really are experts in DSG, S-Tronic and Multitronic. 

One very happy bunny here :)  Sounds like a lot of money but it's really been the only spend it's needed outside of routine maintenance in the 3 years I've had it.   They also put my mind at rest about my recent VW DSG oil change, the oil that came out when they dropped it to remove the unit was lovely and fresh.
Great mate glad you got it all sorted. Mine was night and day after i got mine back aswell.

Offline brinks787

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2016, 06:18:16 pm »
Finally, if anyone wants a real deep explanation of how the 6 speed DSG works I found this online when I was looking for fixes.  Bit geeky but it explains it all

http://vwts.ru/vw_doc2/trans/02e/direct-shift_gearbox_02e_eng.pdf

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2016, 06:21:24 pm »
Glad it's sorted out mate really happy for you   :jumping:

adamcraddock

« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2018, 07:03:26 pm »
I assume the selection shows the fault only when going down from second to first and up from first to second with the second to first being the most noticeable for harshness?
If this is the case it will be faultless at normal temperature for up to two hours of driving then it changes to the rough selection mode.

Hey doylebros. Sorry to bring up an old thread but I have the exact issue on a Mk6 gti I’ve just purchased. Can you tell me what the issue was with yours?

Offline TuneShi

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2019, 11:38:54 pm »
Hello I'm getting the same issue in which I have a jerky takeoff especially when hot in both reverse and drive no fault codes are stored in the ecu I have done the basic setting a couple times to no avail flywheel is good with 2 or 3 teeth freeplay gearbox level is correct and fluid is clean the car drives good with no slips or bangs its just the jerky takeoff from standstill is this the warning sign of a worn mechatronic unit?