Make a donation

Author Topic: Toureg and Q7 calipers  (Read 24985 times)

Offline KieranM

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 5
Re: Toureg and Q7 calipers
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2016, 09:09:44 pm »
I'm in the same position as you right now and from what I've read the TTRS and 340mm TTS discs seems to be the best combination to go for in terms of stopping power, weight and price. There is also a lot better pad and disc selection for the TTRS caliper compared to the 18Z 6 pots.

Offline r5gtt

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2016, 09:17:27 pm »
The Leon 290 that had the Ring record had an upgraded braking kit fitted. The Leon has that as option kit, basically it's the same kit as the TTRS/RS3.  :wink:

The GTI Clubsport S has specific pads (more heat resistant) and the discs have an aluminium bowl to resist warping from track use.
That's why I want to go bigger than oem r32 r20 s3 as I don't think these brakes will be right under track style conditions.

Offline Paradox1

• Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 82
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2016, 10:14:56 am »
The Leon 290 that had the Ring record had an upgraded braking kit fitted. The Leon has that as option kit, basically it's the same kit as the TTRS/RS3.  :wink:

The GTI Clubsport S has specific pads (more heat resistant) and the discs have an aluminium bowl to resist warping from track use.
That's why I want to go bigger than oem r32 r20 s3 as I don't think these brakes will be right under track style conditions.

When mine are touareg 4pots are fitted, we will go for a spin. havent heard a bad review from them yet but always good to see for yourself :happy2:

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2016, 10:20:44 am »

When mine are touareg 4pots are fitted, we will go for a spin. havent heard a bad review from them yet but always good to see for yourself :happy2:
That would be absolutely brilliant mate I'm waiting with anticipation   :driver: make it soon yeah  :signLOL: pictures and part numbers?  :P

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2016, 10:59:02 am »
I'm in the same position as you right now and from what I've read the TTRS and 340mm TTS discs seems to be the best combination to go for in terms of stopping power, weight and price. There is also a lot better pad and disc selection for the TTRS caliper compared to the 18Z 6 pots.
Considering all, that setup for me is the ideal if I had wheels with ET35 (or less) and wider wings from SRS-Tec, so I could fit the calipers with the adaptors under the wheels without needing spacers and not needing to roll the wings so the tyres wouldn't rub.

I decided to go for the Brembo 18Z just because it was very easy to fit with OZ Ultras that I already had in my GT Sport when I bought the Ed. 30. :smiley:

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2016, 01:59:22 pm »
Can anyone confirm the brembo 18Z fit under the R32 wheels?.

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2016, 04:28:07 pm »
Can anyone confirm the brembo 18Z fit under the R32 wheels?.
With spacers they fit! :P

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2016, 04:32:44 pm »
With Omanyts 18'':

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2016, 06:29:50 pm »
You'll definitely need spacers.

Not to bore the thread with talk of old cars (as if that'd happen...) but on my old mk4 I fitted Brembo 4 pots (Cupra R). It was incredibly low. To clear the calipers I had to fit 8mm H&R spacers. Once the spacers were on, I then had to roll the arches. Once I'd rolled the arches, I then had all the fun and games of dodgy corrosive things going on, grit stuck to a tyre fouling the arch, etc. The brakes were great, the car looked great, but all the rest of it was a total pain in the arse.

Granted, it was silly-low. I'm not sure if you plan on lowering yours but if you do, it's one thing to be mindful of.

I might move on to coilovers at some point, and when I do, I don't really want any of the fun and games I had with the mk4. So the mk7 calipers appealed to me. I'm on BBS VZ, which are 8 wide and et44 rather than the 7.5 wide and et51 (I think) of your R32 wheels, so I'm already poking about 13mm closer to the arch. If I had to space, I'd want to space with proper wheelcentric spacers (the ones with a lip/spigot for the wheel to centre on). These, as far as I know, can only be had in 8/10mm upwards. That'd be too much for me. I'd probably foul the arch even on the H&R springs it's sitting on now. You've got more room to play with with your wheels (arch-wise), but even so, it's worth some thought.

Offline Flyingscotsman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2016, 07:13:36 pm »
@AJP let me know how you get on with the Mk7 R calipers as I'd like to go down same route. 
I'm looking for an improvement on stock and don't want to be bothered with spacers or new wheels.

Offline Wolf Burger

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2016, 07:16:10 pm »
Anyone know for definite what spacers are required on a MK6 Golf R with 19 inch tallies and 18Z brakes??
Golf Mk6R 2011- Rising Blue- Manual-
Modifications-
E-Tuners 361 BHP - 350lbs
Revo Intake
Bilstein B16 & H&R ARB's
Team Dynamics 1.3
18Z Porsche BBK
RNS510 with Focal Speaker upgrade
MK6 Recaro Heated Buckets
Cruise Control
Highline Reverse Camera

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2016, 07:17:58 pm »
@AJP let me know how you get on with the Mk7 R calipers as I'd like to go down same route. 
I'm looking for an improvement on stock and don't want to be bothered with spacers or new wheels.
Will do mate, it's going to be a good few weeks before I get them on unfortunately, had to spend the brake budget on getting the engine sorted. And I need a pair of tyres soon.

Looking at late Sept/Oct. I'll probs update the thread I started, but feel free to PM me near the time for any updates

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2016, 07:19:48 pm »
Anyone know for definite what spacers are required on a MK6 Golf R with 19 inch tallies and 18Z brakes??
@th3_f15t

(If my memory serves correctly!)

Offline Wolf Burger

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2016, 07:22:10 pm »
@th3_f15t

(If my memory serves correctly!)

We have spoken at length AJP and he reckons 8mm but is not 100% sure. Top bloke is th3.
He's on the TD 1.3 wheels with a 5mm spacer.

My car is also lowered.
Golf Mk6R 2011- Rising Blue- Manual-
Modifications-
E-Tuners 361 BHP - 350lbs
Revo Intake
Bilstein B16 & H&R ARB's
Team Dynamics 1.3
18Z Porsche BBK
RNS510 with Focal Speaker upgrade
MK6 Recaro Heated Buckets
Cruise Control
Highline Reverse Camera

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2016, 07:25:28 pm »
You could do with some 5s, 8s and 10s for a little trial fitting session!