Make a donation

Author Topic: Spark plug gaps  (Read 46019 times)

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
Re: Spark plug gaps
« Reply #135 on: October 02, 2016, 06:01:28 pm »
Tbh with you my tt was quick but the reason I've jumped on the tfsi mod route is because I know 280bhp will be a lot more stronger than the tt's 265bhp as I won't be dragging around a quattro diff which made the tt lose at least 20hp if not more.

just got to see what the engineer says re repairs or write off and I repair as I'll do a better job of repairing my own car and will do it properly. once front end is off do al the trimmings in the bay rip the inlet off and whack the RS4 fpv in along with inlet clean RFD and off we go.  :grin:
I might do the runner flap delete when I go k04. Only thing making me 50/50 on it is apparently it can make it a bit less perky off boost and cold starts can be rough. But on the plus side you get better flow and more pops and bangs (gotta be worth it for that alone!)

It's the torque that makes the difference with a TFSI (with one of Niki's maps at least). Mine dynoed at 345lb/ft on the Stage 2 map, and since fitting the Loba it feels even stronger. If I got the map revised I wouldn't be surprised to see 360lb/ft. From a little k03! Not bothering with a 2+ map though, the next time I'm in Hinckley there will be a k04 or k03 hybrid bolted on ready for Stage 3...

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #136 on: October 02, 2016, 06:21:42 pm »
lol I was ready to go k03 hybrid thr other month but someone stopped me from doing so but at 550 it wasn't a bad deal and I have most of thr other stuff ready for stage 3 if I wanted but remembering the wheel spins I got scared and backed off otherwise I'd have a loba k03 hybrid sitting in my storage closet along with all the other goodies  :signLOL:

from what Niki says thr RFD is a great mod and as you also said if it's Niki mapping the car jobs a good un and I doubt I'd even noticed a little less off thr mark take off since the wheels spin off on hard take off.

345lb/ft is a lot of torque mate and I'm sure if you went back now and got the tweak map you'd see better results as the fpv wasn't fitted att of stage 2 and did you say loba?. oR was that done before mapping?

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #137 on: October 02, 2016, 06:32:51 pm »
lol I was ready to go k03 hybrid thr other month but someone stopped me from doing so but at 550 it wasn't a bad deal and I have most of thr other stuff ready for stage 3 if I wanted but remembering the wheel spins I got scared and backed off otherwise I'd have a loba k03 hybrid sitting in my storage closet along with all the other goodies  :signLOL:

from what Niki says thr RFD is a great mod and as you also said if it's Niki mapping the car jobs a good un and I doubt I'd even noticed a little less off thr mark take off since the wheels spin off on hard take off.

345lb/ft is a lot of torque mate and I'm sure if you went back now and got the tweak map you'd see better results as the fpv wasn't fitted att of stage 2 and did you say loba?. oR was that done before mapping?
Yep, the 345lb/ft was Stage 2 on the standard pump. I fitted the Loba pump after the map, to cure the fuel cuts I was getting. It definitely feels stronger now. Not sure how much benefit the RS4 valve is at this point but it'll certainly play a part once I'm into the 300s.

That Loba hybrid - was that Dan Smith's? I was so close to buying that myself! Good thing about the hybrids is that Niki can map them on k03 injectors, so the refurbed set I've just put in should be good for whatever direction I take. If they can support a BBT k03 hybrid at 360bhp I'd imagine they'd be good for a k04 too. I'm going to speak to Niki about that, and if he says you need k04 injectors for a k04 I'll just go down the k03 hybrid route.

Got tyres and a CV boot to sort this week, then I'll get the Clubsport brakes on. Back on track for power after that.

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #138 on: October 02, 2016, 06:46:35 pm »
I'd imagine you'll get a little more with the loba pump fitted as I noticed a stronger feel on boost when I fitted the VIS internals to my used pump.
Did have an issue with surges on take off after fitting the VIS but been told it's the sensor which fabfreddy has kindly given me foc  :smiley: :smiley: will fit up everything once car is back and race to r-tech for my maps.

No it was someone else on eBay fb that was selling his as he moved on to the BBT I think. I think I should have bought it now as the cars been hit so no chance of selling it on for a few years.

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #139 on: October 10, 2016, 06:44:11 pm »
Just done the 6 hour drive to Wales. I drove it hard when I was into the hills, for a good couple of hours. The car was flawless, apart from...

It misfired once. Going from 3rd to 4th. Changed up at about 6k, then as soon as I was back on the (full) throttle in 4th... brrrrrapp. Then it just carried on as if nothing had happened.

Odd. It's better than before, by a long way. Just not sure what to make of it. Suppose I can live with it if it only spits its dummy out for one second out of weeks of driving!

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #140 on: October 10, 2016, 07:12:46 pm »
Glad to hear it AJP finally you can rest your head and relax now the issues have dissolved.

one little hick up isn't much to worry about as long as it's not a constant misfire but there's probably that little worry at the back of your head that something could go wrong at anytime  :thinking: hopefully not  :smiley:

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #141 on: October 10, 2016, 07:29:26 pm »
Yep, I still don't have the 'all clear' in my head. There's still something not right. But it's better than it was.

I think the fact that it's so sporadic basically limits me to the process of elimination. I can't log a problem that seldom occurs. At this point, the low pressure pump and software are the two candidates. I don't want to be the guy that says his R-Tech map is a bit 'off' but I suppose it's possible. Unlikely, but possible.

I might uprate the low pressure pump when I go k04. As well as a few other things not on the usual list. As for the map... hmmm.

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #142 on: October 10, 2016, 07:36:33 pm »
I wouldn't have thought the map itself would be an issue as the main issue seems to have gone now that you've replaced the injectors tbh.
Also the lpfp could be a candidate as you say but I'd say if it were that it'd be more constant but I'm no guru  :stupid:  :signLOL:

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #143 on: October 12, 2016, 05:03:30 pm »
Just got home. Slight hiccup coming off a dual carriageway into slow traffic, but apart from that, spot on. One to keep an eye on.

Stunning part of the world anyway. I'll live there one day hopefully.

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #144 on: October 12, 2016, 07:00:55 pm »
yeah just keep an eye on things as this is all you can do for now.

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #145 on: November 17, 2016, 07:18:39 pm »
Well well well. I don't think I'm out of the woods, just yet.

The 'new' misfire I reported back on 10th October has now occured at least three times - in the exact same circumstances. Going from 3rd to 4th at full chat, as soon as the throttle's down in 4th it's like hitting a brick wall. Complete loss of power for a split second with a big brrapp from the exhaust. Then all's fine, like nothing happened. It's quite puzzling.

Answers on a postcard.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 676
« Reply #146 on: November 17, 2016, 07:28:28 pm »
Sounds like a momentary lean condition.  The transient fuel demand when flooring it after a gear change can be pretty huge. 

Either that or something is amiss and the ECU is pulling back.  Over boosting maybe?  Anything revealing in the logs?  As always, best to use VCDS in turbo mode.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #147 on: November 17, 2016, 07:47:24 pm »
Sounds like a momentary lean condition.  The transient fuel demand when flooring it after a gear change can be pretty huge. 

Either that or something is amiss and the ECU is pulling back.  Over boosting maybe?  Anything revealing in the logs?  As always, best to use VCDS in turbo mode.
Did some logs a while ago before the refurbed injectors went in (and the misfire was really bad) and the car behaved itself so left us clueless.

Since fitting the injectors it's like a different car... apart from this very rare but specific hiccup which manifested after the injectors went in.

I don't have VCDS, and even if I did I'd be waiting weeks or months for it to happen again. It seldom happens. I don't know if the fact I'm still on a Stage 2 map but with a Loba pump has any bearing on it, but logic tells me that if anything I should have more fuel headroom than if I was on 2+, so I doubt that.

I know I'm just guessing without doing more logging though. Although if it was momentarily overboosting like you suggest then it might have stored a code.

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #148 on: November 17, 2016, 08:44:24 pm »
Oh dear  :doh: back again  :thinking:
Have you checked your fuel pressure sensor?

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #149 on: November 17, 2016, 08:51:36 pm »
Oh dear  :doh: back again  :thinking:
Have you checked your fuel pressure sensor?
Haven't really checked anything yet. I'll start by seeing if there are any codes stored and go from there. It'll be going in for the mk7 brakes soon so I'll get it scanned while it's in.