Make a donation

Author Topic: Best diverter valve  (Read 18887 times)

Offline shoaybmakda

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 54
Re: Best diverter valve
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2016, 08:55:12 pm »
Waiting to buy one of these - no eBay code in sight as of yet though  :sad1:

Offline Little_Dave

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 28
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2016, 12:13:14 am »
I agree with what shoduchi said previously...

Fitted a DV+ a few days ago to my S3 and found its sharpened throttle response and feels like it's holding boost better, part throttle the car feels more urgent and ready to go as sometimes with the Rev G fitted it could feel a little flat and hesitate

Dave

Offline flashp

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 65
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2016, 11:17:55 pm »
I do have a question regarding these and their publicised effect on compressor surge when fitted to a KO4 equipped car. Does it address the issue at all?
http://www.gfb.com.au/tech/tech-articles/11-the-truth-about-compressor-surge
This would genuinely interest me.

Gone but not forgotten :-)

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2016, 11:29:41 pm »
I can't help you with that. Not sure if I just can't hear it with the OEM air box or if my custom tune avoids it.  :confused:

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=pmdcjq4l881jjc54rha4q92bk4&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2016, 12:14:52 am »
I do have a question regarding these and their publicised effect on compressor surge when fitted to a KO4 equipped car. Does it address the issue at all?

I dont see how it could possibly have any effect on Comp. surge. I think that GFB article is a bit misleading.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 12:16:48 am by rich83 »

Offline flashp

• Thank You
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2016, 06:57:49 am »
I wasn't convinced the first time I read it either Rich. But there it is, the manufacturer is claiming this product can influence it. I understood surge to be associated with compressor housing volume/shape and the impeller shape/blade pattern. I've been lucky in that I haven't had a DV failure yet.

Offline flashp

• Thank You
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2016, 09:38:53 am »
I can't help you with that. Not sure if I just can't hear it with the OEM air box or if my custom tune avoids it.  :confused:
@Shoduchi: What kind of tune are you running? I've heard RTech can get around compressor surge to some degree. I've also been aware of the kit BBT can offer to deal with this which isn't necessarily overly expensive.
I'm also curious as to what a car around stage 2 might feel like with a standard intake fitted. I know the likes of Revo can help an engine breathe at high rpm but I also believe that there is a trade off at the lower end by way of a shift in the spread of torque. I have this thought that won't go away and it is that for the 2% of time the car is on track the Revo intake is great and for the road it might be possible that it's not as optimized as the OE intake. It doesn't necessarily make sense to have a part fitted that does what it's supposed to for 2% of the time and it may be the OE intake might sacrifice a small degree of performance on track that may not even be significant and for the other 98% it's spot on. I also never bought the Revo for the noise it makes.

I would consider refitting it but I don't have a suitable tool to get at the clip down by the turbo.

I'm interested to hear your thoughts, I know there are a handful of people here who have been down the intake route and reverted back to OE.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 10:04:25 am by flashp »

Offline flashp

• Thank You
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2016, 09:42:56 am »

I dont see how it could possibly have any effect on Comp. surge. I think that GFB article is a bit misleading.
@rich83 What are you thoughts on it as a product? Not wishing to start a massive debate  :laugh: but I know this has been divisive in the past. :happy2:

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2016, 10:34:42 am »
@Shoduchi: What kind of tune are you running? I've heard RTech can get around compressor surge to some degree. I've also been aware of the kit BBT can offer to deal with this which isn't necessarily overly expensive.
I'm also curious as to what a car around stage 2 might feel like with a standard intake fitted. I know the likes of Revo can help an engine breathe at high rpm but I also believe that there is a trade off at the lower end by way of a shift in the spread of torque. I have this thought that won't go away and it is that for the 2% of time the car is on track the Revo intake is great and for the road it might be possible that it's not as optimized as the OE intake. It doesn't necessarily make sense to have a part fitted that does what it's supposed to for 2% of the time and it may be the OE intake might sacrifice a small degree of performance on track that may not even be significant and for the other 98% it's spot on.

I would consider refitting it but I don't have a suitable tool to get at the clip down by the turbo.

I'm interested to hear your thoughts, I know there are a handful of people here who have been down the intake route and reverted back to OE.

Cheers.
I'm limited by the petrol I have here (the best I can get at the pump has 98 octanes) so my tuner prefers to leave the tune at (spikes at 1,5 bar) 1,4 bar since he knows it's reliable for all the engine and DSG components. With a better petrol I'd be making +20 BHP from his experience with other similar cars. He can get me 100 octanes petrol but it isn't cheap so I'm only going to consider using it for doing track days in the future, if my budget allows. My tuner worked for Unitronic when they grew a lot in the USA. He does his tunes to make the cars drive like he likes to drive them, for what I realized from talking to him. He was more worried with the DSG than anything else when he tuned the engine, since in Portugal it gets really hot and the box can suffer more wear if I don't take that in mind when pushing the car. I avoid stressing any mechanical component too much, but I know others who get this kind of cars can be too animals driving them. :laugh:

I asked him if I had any benefit from fitting a cone filter intake (would drive illegal which I don't like) and for him it would be marginal and only at top end, which indeed I don't use 98% of the time. For the daily use it's perfectly fine and tune level doesn't request more air than the OEM air box can provide from looking at the logs.

At the moment I have 2 options if I want to upgrade the intake:
-Get a good cone filter intake and just use it on track;
-Get the TTS air box intake and relocate the battery to the trunk. I'm still considering if a lightweight battery would be enough for my needs since they don't last long (most likely I'd have to charge it regularly) and the better batteries aren't cheap.

Being reasonable I don't do enough track days for all the investment involved so I'm leaving it at it is till next year.

You can get a hose clamp plier set cheap from ebay so you can do whatever you like when you need. I got this set for example: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261751871926.

If I was in the UK, I'd book with R-Tech and optimize the tune to the car's hardware. From what I read online it would be good to fit the BBT anti-surge K04 compressor and from what I can think of it, due to an improved design it should have an higher threshold to surge, so it's easier for the tuner to prevent it. It's also a lot cheaper than go hybrid K04. :smiley:

Offline Matt81

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 47
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2016, 03:41:10 pm »
Well, I've just ordered a DV+ for my eddy so will add my opinion to the mix once it arrives.

Not expecting miracles but a sharper throttle response would be nice.

Offline Little_Dave

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 28
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2016, 03:49:59 pm »
My car is stage2+ and so like most of the other mods maybe u won't get as dramatic an effect on a car not tuned to that level

I have the r tech map on mine and had no issues with the revG but wanted to give this a go and can say it's made a difference on my car

Dave

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=pmdcjq4l881jjc54rha4q92bk4&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2016, 05:12:18 pm »

@rich83 What are you thoughts on it as a product? Not wishing to start a massive debate  :laugh: but I know this has been divisive in the past. :happy2:

As far as I have seen and have heard... the newer ones are fine. However, rev G works for me and has done for 3 years running 1.4bar.

Offline DANBOY66

• Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 55
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,74301.0.html
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2016, 05:14:31 pm »
just fitted one on my car stage 3 gti  :grin: :grin:

will see how it performs over the weekend  :driver:
Dan..

Seat Ibiza cupra 06 1.8T GTX2867R GEN2 track toy in the making
Passat TDI 170 DSG the Family mini cab

Offline flashp

• Thank You
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2016, 07:47:41 am »
I'm also curious as to what a car around stage 2 might feel like with a standard intake fitted. I know the likes of Revo can help an engine breathe at high rpm but I also believe that there is a trade off at the lower end by way of a shift in the spread of torque. I have this thought that won't go away and it is that for the 2% of time the car is on track the Revo intake is great and for the road it might be possible that it's not as optimized as the OE intake. It doesn't necessarily make sense to have a part fitted that does what it's supposed to for 2% of the time and it may be the OE intake might sacrifice a small degree of performance on track that may not even be significant and for the other 98% it's spot on.

Cheers.
I'm limited by the petrol I have here (the best I can get at the pump has 98 octanes) so my tuner prefers to leave the tune at (spikes at 1,5 bar) 1,4 bar since he knows it's reliable for all the engine and DSG components. With a better petrol I'd be making +20 BHP from his experience with other similar cars. He can get me 100 octanes petrol but it isn't cheap so I'm only going to consider using it for doing track days in the future, if my budget allows. My tuner worked for Unitronic when they grew a lot in the USA. He does his tunes to make the cars drive like he likes to drive them, for what I realized from talking to him. He was more worried with the DSG than anything else when he tuned the engine, since in Portugal it gets really hot and the box can suffer more wear if I don't take that in mind when pushing the car. I avoid stressing any mechanical component too much, but I know others who get this kind of cars can be too animals driving them. :laugh:

I asked him if I had any benefit from fitting a cone filter intake (would drive illegal which I don't like) and for him it would be marginal and only at top end, which indeed I don't use 98% of the time. For the daily use it's perfectly fine and tune level doesn't request more air than the OEM air box can provide from looking at the logs.

At the moment I have 2 options if I want to upgrade the intake:
-Get a good cone filter intake and just use it on track;
-Get the TTS air box intake and relocate the battery to the trunk. I'm still considering if a lightweight battery would be enough for my needs since they don't last long (most likely I'd have to charge it regularly) and the better batteries aren't cheap.

Being reasonable I don't do enough track days for all the investment involved so I'm leaving it at it is till next year.

You can get a hose clamp plier set cheap from ebay so you can do whatever you like when you need. I got this set for example: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261751871926.

If I was in the UK, I'd book with R-Tech and optimize the tune to the car's hardware. From what I read online it would be good to fit the BBT anti-surge K04 compressor and from what I can think of it, due to an improved design it should have an higher threshold to surge, so it's easier for the tuner to prevent it. It's also a lot cheaper than go hybrid K04. :smiley:
Thanks for the detailed reply  :happy2:
I think at some point very soon I'm going to get the appropriate tools to get at the clip easily and I'll re-fit the OE intake just to see what's going on. I've been curious for some time now  :thinking:
Thanks for the link on that tool kit.

I think the standard air box is capable of flowing quite a large volume of air, I've no idea where it's limits are but there are more than few people running it with with stage 2. I also believe that the plastic assembly transfers heat less readily than metal, such as the tube work in most intakes. Maybe they should have moulded them?? I'm also wondering if it will have any impact on intake temps, although I'm expecting it not to as the intercooler should be taking care of that.

I've also sent BBT an email asking after their KO4 kit with specific regard to compressor surge, so I'd expect them to come back with details on the kit of parts you spoke of. If not then the hybrid is an option provided I could sell the KO4 that comes off.

Also going to have a look at my DV just out of curiosity...

Offline GTION

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2018, 06:48:55 pm »
Hi, really good thread!

How difficult is it to replace the DV?

I haven’t owned my mk5 GTI long but would like to upgrade to a GFB DV+

Thanks