Make a donation

Author Topic: Pressed plates legal??  (Read 2577 times)

Offline Lucastheone92

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
Pressed plates legal??
« on: August 21, 2016, 03:52:57 pm »
Anyone know if pressed plates are legal here in the UK or anyone had any problems with the police? Also where did you guys get yours from ?

Offline gixerben

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,92657.msg930393.html#msg930393
Re: Pressed plates legal??
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 03:59:22 pm »
I have pressed plate that are legal, it's not what the plate is made out of that makes it illegal, its the font used.
Look on eBay at pressed plates, you can get different styles, UK legal and then German font "show" plates.

Back in the day when I was rocking a modified mk2 16v I had the German style plates, never got any bother but times and attitude have changed since then.

Pirelli GTI

Offline cenobytez

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 12:33:13 pm »
also depends where you get them from, I got mine for my mk4 from dubmeister.
basically if they don't want you to produce your docs they are not legal
not got round to getting them for the mk5 yet

nkp

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 04:35:30 pm »
I've had a few sets from eBay in the past and always bought from adverts saying "road legal UK" or "100% road legal" or something like that. Have never had any hassle with police or mot (never needed to provide my V5 either). As i understood it as long as the plates have a postcode stamped on, have the reflective yellow/white element and are the right side and font you're ok.

Offline cenobytez

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 07:46:01 am »
if you check the gov website, you may change your mind on if your plates are ok or not. all i'm saying.....

Offline Dan_FR

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2016, 08:31:17 am »
The eBay plates are road legal but supplied for off road use.... because they don't check and record the logbook details at point of sale as is required by law. But the plates comply and you should have no problems if ever pulled over. It's just a crafty way of circumventing the law.

Mine have been on for 2 years now without issue, eBay supplied with the supplier being registered as a numberplate supplier
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales