Make a donation

Author Topic: Intake waste of money?  (Read 39966 times)

Offline baka

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
  • My Ride: Audi A3 2.0TFSI Quattro
Re: Intake waste of money?
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2016, 08:18:30 pm »
Are the OEM intakes and air boxes identical between the eddy and the GTI?

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2016, 08:23:51 pm »
Yes

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2016, 01:17:43 am »
The air filter is different, it seems. Same shape but less restrictive for Ed. 30 and mk6 Golf R.

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2016, 01:27:59 am »
I recently went from the standard air box at stage 2+ on my edition 30 to the VWR intake. The MAF scaling is spot on so no loss of torque and it takes cold air directly from the grill in the same place the Oem version did. In terms of performance, I can honestly say (at stage 2+) it made a big difference (bigger than expected), def noticeable pulls much harder, more torque and power. 100% worth doing. Noise wise the VWR isn't much louder than stock which is what I wanted. Can't comment about stage 1, I ran the standard intake with panel filer all the way to stage 2+. But based on my experience it made a massive difference.

Sounds like the best compromise if it doesn't blunt the bottom end at all?  Not cheap though!

I know you and I have discussed this before and the merits of the standard air box, I was a firm advocate of the standard airbox.   :happy2: However, I read the more tuned the engine the more benefit can be had. Dan explained about she MAF scaling killing torque so knew a VWR kit would be scaled right. The difference on a stage 2+ eddy is big, the standard airbox is def strangling it. I am off the RTech in a couple of weeks so wanted to have the best setup I could before going. Even with the Revo stage 2+ and no adjustments for the airbox it feels much stronger !. I am surprised by how much. As you say, it's not cheap but I couldn't face the noises from something like the Revo intake. :jumpmove:

Your experience makes me want to try the VWR intake to see what it would be like in my Ed. 30. At least for doing the odd track day I'd take advantage of it. For daily driving the car is fast enough.

Offline Madone

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 27
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2016, 09:12:32 am »
I recently went from the standard air box at stage 2+ on my edition 30 to the VWR intake. The MAF scaling is spot on so no loss of torque and it takes cold air directly from the grill in the same place the Oem version did. In terms of performance, I can honestly say (at stage 2+) it made a big difference (bigger than expected), def noticeable pulls much harder, more torque and power. 100% worth doing. Noise wise the VWR isn't much louder than stock which is what I wanted. Can't comment about stage 1, I ran the standard intake with panel filer all the way to stage 2+. But based on my experience it made a massive difference.

Sounds like the best compromise if it doesn't blunt the bottom end at all?  Not cheap though!

I know you and I have discussed this before and the merits of the standard air box, I was a firm advocate of the standard airbox.   :happy2: However, I read the more tuned the engine the more benefit can be had. Dan explained about she MAF scaling killing torque so knew a VWR kit would be scaled right. The difference on a stage 2+ eddy is big, the standard airbox is def strangling it. I am off the RTech in a couple of weeks so wanted to have the best setup I could before going. Even with the Revo stage 2+ and no adjustments for the airbox it feels much stronger !. I am surprised by how much. As you say, it's not cheap but I couldn't face the noises from something like the Revo intake. :jumpmove:

Your experience makes me want to try the VWR intake to see what it would be like in my Ed. 30. At least for doing the odd track day I'd take advantage of it. For daily driving the car is fast enough.

I am happy with the change, I didn't think the stock box was bad till I tried the VWR. If I was anything less than stage 2+ I wouldn't have bothered. But at 2+, glad I did. It is slightly noisier, you can hear the recirc valve if the windows are open, but with them closed sounds pretty much the same with slightly more engine noise on a full throttle pull.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 675
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2016, 09:29:01 am »
Hmmm, you've got me tempted as well!  Not noisy, adds power and the MAF tube is correct.

I'm still on the factory airbox and filter on my Eddy.  I've been stage 1 for ages now.  Kind of tempted to go stage 2 with the VWR!

If you're stage 2+, do you notice the famous 'surge' around 2500-3000rpm under hard load?

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Madone

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2016, 11:48:43 am »
I have noticed the noise yes, wondered what it was !  Obviously it was there before the change in airbox but couldn't hear it before. It does seem to come and go, doesn't appear 100% of the time. It's hard to hear much with the windows up but there are a few more noises than before, this surge noise, general turbo noises and such. But my wife didn't notice anything different, so it's suttle.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2016, 02:17:58 pm »
Yeah that's true, the OEM airbox filters a lot of noise out.  Out of interest, what does your wife drive day to day?  My gf drives a MK4 1.6 Golf, which literally is one of the slowest cars I've ever driven, so when she drives mine, she's a complete nutter in it. Drives it harder than I do!!  I don't appreciate how quick the car is until I'm a passenger in it.  They're pretty bonkers these remapped ED30s aren't they?  :grin:

Anyway, looks like the VWR kit has come down (a little!) in price.  I didn't spot one for an Edition on Awesome's site.  I guess a MK6 R one would work?

Offline xs2man

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2016, 03:52:53 pm »

Anyway, looks like the VWR kit has come down (a little!) in price.  I didn't spot one for an Edition on Awesome's site.  I guess a MK6 R one would work?

This not it?  https://www.awesomegti.com/shop-by-brand/volkswagen-racing/volkswagen-racing-intake-system-vw-golf-mk5-2-0tfsi/

£438 for an intake though?  You boys must have more money than sense.  I couldn't possibly justify that sort of outlay on an air filter, and I thought the Revo was expensive, lol.  (Although I do have a Carbonio fitted to my ED30, I certainly didn't fit it).

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2016, 04:27:35 pm »

This not it?  https://www.awesomegti.com/shop-by-brand/volkswagen-racing/volkswagen-racing-intake-system-vw-golf-mk5-2-0tfsi/

£438 for an intake though?  You boys must have more money than sense.  I couldn't possibly justify that sort of outlay on an air filter, and I thought the Revo was expensive, lol.  (Although I do have a Carbonio fitted to my ED30, I certainly didn't fit it).

That's for the GTI chap.  The Edition 30 has a front mounted dump valve that throws it's waste choo choos into the turbo intake pipe.  The MK6 R kit shows the right turbo intake pipe for that.

I know what you mean.  Crazy cash isn't it.  It's a good way to get rid of the annoying engine cover and solve the associated heat soak issues though.  It does also appear to give good gains when the boost is whacked up to the max too.  But yeah, 44 sheets on an air filter.  The missus would think I'd lost the plot if I bought one.  Then again, £1000 for a handbag?!?

Offline Madone

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2016, 05:08:47 pm »
Yeah that's true, the OEM airbox filters a lot of noise out.  Out of interest, what does your wife drive day to day?  My gf drives a MK4 1.6 Golf, which literally is one of the slowest cars I've ever driven, so when she drives mine, she's a complete nutter in it. Drives it harder than I do!!  I don't appreciate how quick the car is until I'm a passenger in it.  They're pretty bonkers these remapped ED30s aren't they?  :grin:

My wife drives a new Q5 3ltr TDI, but like all new audi's it's super quiet but has tons of torque and great for all the baby gear in the boot. She sometimes drives my RS3 too, tbh she thinks the golf is too much of a handful  :happy2:, the RS3 is just as powerful but more refined compared. It's really the reason I have kept the golf and like driving it (although don't drive it enough), it's a totally different experience, really exciting and more old school turbo than the other cars. That's really the appeal for me. As you say a mapped ed30 is something to behold  , regardless of what else you drive !  :jumpmove:

Offline xs2man

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2016, 06:55:04 pm »

That's for the GTI chap.  The Edition 30 has a front mounted dump valve that throws it's waste choo choos into the turbo intake pipe.  The MK6 R kit shows the right turbo intake pipe for that.

I know what you mean.  Crazy cash isn't it.  It's a good way to get rid of the annoying engine cover and solve the associated heat soak issues though.  It does also appear to give good gains when the boost is whacked up to the max too.  But yeah, 44 sheets on an air filter.  The missus would think I'd lost the plot if I bought one.  Then again, £1000 for a handbag?!?

There is an option button to click for the ED30 chap.  :drinking:  Look at the second picture even.

Offline FJ1000

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 48
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101205.0.html
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2016, 09:44:41 am »
Anyone done any before and after dyno runs, or peak MAF readings?

A dyno might not be the best environment for testing an intake (relatively poor airflow vs on the road, potential for heat soak), but could be interesting nonetheless.

2007 Golf Gti DSG | Leather Wingbacks | Xenons | VWR Springs | Tinted Windows | 18" Audi Speedlines |

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2016, 10:34:42 am »
Some bold claims for the VWR one.  Up to +9% peak power and turbo spool reduced by 500rpm.  The latter I'm a little skeptical of personally, given it's the turbine wheel / housing that has the biggest influence on spool up :smiley:

They don't state under what conditions and mechanical spec you get those gains.  For example, do you need a full exhaust to see those improvements?  And at what boost pressure and rpm do you see that +9% increase in hp?

£450 is a lot to take a punt on it, based on vague sales pitching.

I suspect VW Racing saw those gains on their own racing car, which runs shed loads of boost, full exhaust etc etc.  I reckon a mild stage 1 tune with just a DP would probably see about +5% because at 1.4-1.5 bar, the turbo isn't struggling that badly to get air in.  So around 15hp for £450?  I don't really see that as a good £ per hp investment personally, but that's only because that kind of money is almost a VWR spring a damper set, which would give more profound and noticeable gains from the get go :)

« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 10:37:05 am by Pudding »

Offline bonelorry

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 72
  • -Receive: 44
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2016, 10:54:06 am »
The air filter is different, it seems. Same shape but less restrictive for Ed. 30 and mk6 Golf R.

This is correct,

The normal GTI Panel filter is P/N 06F133843A, The Edition 30/Pirelli Filter is P/N 06F133843B.

They are both identical in shape but the Edition 30/Pirelli filter is thinner and less restrictive. It is also the same filter on the MK6 Golf R and I would presume the Edition 35 also  :happy2: