Make a donation

Author Topic: MK5 Edition 30 #57 Track/Race Build  (Read 35685 times)

Offline tommygti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
Re: MK5 Edition 30 #57 Track/Race Build
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2016, 09:38:47 pm »
Sub'd. Looking forward to these updates. I'l be rebuilding a spare gearbox to fit a LSD in along with the steel shifter forks and upgraded bearings but I did'nt think about the other components you've covered. Great info and appreciate the detail.

Offline M4T VW

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2016, 09:52:32 pm »
For a few months now I have been looking at different brake kits. There are loads of options out there but the problem is finding any for sale at a sensible price. The starting point is a kit called 'NQSBBK' (Not quite so big brake kit). This uses Boxster 987 rear calipers and Porsche 312mm discs but this is too small for what I wanted. It’s a good kit but people have reached the limit of them on track with little mods.

Next is the Porsche brake route using a 996 turbo caliper but finding any without scene tax is a hard job and then there are several other parts you need which push the price up quite considerably. This uses 350mm AMG discs but anything with AMG in the title is costly…

There are several other options including Volkswagen racing, Aston Martin DB9, Tarrox, Brembo, AP etc. I wanted to keep the standard master cylinder so this whittled it down to VW Racing (can’t find any second hand so new would mean a lot of money) and AP. (You can use the standard master cylinder with most of the other kits but for other reasons these were discounted)

I asked jtech for a price on a couple of AP kits and they were fantastic on service and offering advice where possible, even trying to get me to try the standard brakes on track before committing a heap of money on brakes.

While I was procrastinating about the brakes, I was in constant contact with Luke. He had been in a similar situation as me but managed to hunt down a set of VW Racing brakes that he had refurbished along with Audi S3 rear calipers. He offered lots of advice on different kits so it was just a waiting game for me to bite the bullet on an AP setup or wait for something on the second hand market to come up.
I kept checking MK5 & TFSI forums every day for about a month, nothing came up apart from a set of 8 pot Lamborghini calipers but these did not match my master cylinder lol

About a month passed and Luke had thoughts of selling his MK5 and even put it on the market. One thing was for sure though, he wanted to sell his brakes! :D
We had a quick chat and agreed a deal so I arranged a day for me to go up to Worcester for me to collect them. (Sadly I got hit with food poisoning that night so had to delay it by a week lol )
I left early one Saturday and it was a great drive up. Gave me chance to stretch the Edition 35’s legs as it’s not been on a long run for a while. (It went great and managed 35mpg most of the way). Met with Luke who took me out in his Ed30 running 375(?)bhp and it was mental. The power was effortless and endless. The type of power is really my end goal but it’s easy to chuck money at the engine and get results. I want to focus on the chassis for the time being. The factory 230bhp is more than enough on track (production GTI think 260bhp is enough) so I hope the chassis work will make up for it. The engine work will come later next year.

A couple of pictures. More in the next update as I test fit them [8D]

Offline M4T VW

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2016, 11:03:55 pm »
With the wiring out of the way. Prep work started for the cage install. This was going to be carried out by TSR who are not far from me. I have had a few chats with them and seen their work so confident that they can do the job.

I wanted to remove as much as possible from the inside including unwanted brackets, within reason. I was not up for hacking huge chunks out of it as some of them add strength and it was more effort that it's worth. It was mainly the ones that got in the way and i knew i would catch my knee on if i was crawling around the inside so the ISOFIX and rear seat brackets etc went.

I needed to remove the fuel tank for the welding but sadly this had half a tank of fuel in so spent a few ours bailing it out of the lift pump hole. I got as much as i could out and jacked it up to see what we could do.
Firstly the exhaust. The car had a supersprint backbox (ugly thing that stuck out under the bumper) however the whole thing has been welded all the way back to the turbo! Some bodge job that is and it meant i needed to cut it somewhere.

Access was an issue straight away. I couldn’t get the car high enough to get a swing on anything, or even the angle grinder under the car. I have two pretty big jacks but it just wasn’t enough and I have not even looked at removing the tank yet! There are loads of other jobs that need doing under it also like all the bushes, subframes, new exhaust etc. This job really needs a vehicle lift!

I jumped on the internet to see what was around. Working space is not so much of an issue for me but storage space is. Any fixed lift is out the window due to the layout of my unit. I needed something moveable. A single post lift, on wheels!
I managed to find a good company who I rang up and asked a few questions, number one being stability! Obviously it’s not going to be as good as a 4 post lift or even a two post lift but as long as you are sensible there should be no issue. So after justifying it to myself I purchased one and got it delivered next day!

However I didn’t expect it to arrive like this…

It took a lot of assembly. About 3 hours in total and thank god I have a forklift. The whole thing weighs 750kg and I think most of that weight is in the centre column. They don’t supply any way of lifting it, not even a hook at the top so we had to wrap a strap around it and hope for the best! Anyway, Finally I have access!

It’s actually a lot more stable than I expected. We were hanging off it trying to get the exhaust and tank off and there was hardly any rock at all. Really impressed with it and it should make the rebuild sooo much easier! There is no limit to the jobs I can do now. Even just changing the brakes at a working height is amazing.
You cannot see from the picture but there is a handle and a set of wheels behind the centre post that you can lift the frame off the ground and drag it out of the way. It's much like a pallet truck in it's operation but a lot more heavy duty.

Offline SurreyED30

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 37
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2016, 09:59:26 am »
Great build so far bud, gearbox overhaul is incredible and has been written up superb  :happy2:

Me and my father in law are talking about a lift type system like what you have got yourself, I will show him your pictures later and see if it twists his arm  :P

Let me know when you sell the day rear bumper please? Where are you based..

I will depo keep up with your progress updates  :happy2:

Jake
Edition 30 build No:692 Revo stage 2 SOLD
Edition 30 build No:440 Stage 1 SOLD

Offline gartht23

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2016, 09:08:17 pm »
Awesome work and write up sir. Keep the posts coming

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline james_kav

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2016, 09:22:46 pm »
So, who is this company and what is the lift unit called or links to it please? Looks great and very useful to say the least!!!

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-850F using Tapatalk

Offline M4T VW

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2016, 11:25:13 am »
Great build so far bud, gearbox overhaul is incredible and has been written up superb  :happy2:

Me and my father in law are talking about a lift type system like what you have got yourself, I will show him your pictures later and see if it twists his arm  :P

Let me know when you sell the day rear bumper please? Where are you based..

I will depo keep up with your progress updates  :happy2:

Jake

Cheers!
I'm based in Bristol. Bumper will be coming off soon.

Awesome work and write up sir. Keep the posts coming

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks!

So, who is this company and what is the lift unit called or links to it please? Looks great and very useful to say the least!!!

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-850F using Tapatalk

The company is Automotech. http://www.automotechservices.co.uk/
They do all sorts of garage equipment and were very helpful on the phone. There are lots of versions out there but i think they all get made in china and just painted a different colour!

Offline Bignod00

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 40
  • Ginsters are sh*tE!!
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,96791.msg959667.html#msg959667
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2016, 11:42:32 am »
Great build so far buddy, I'll be watching with interest!! :happy2:

4WD Leon Cupra TTE420 K1, maybe slightly modded. :evilgrin:

Offline grey golfster

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 79
  • -Receive: 34
  • Edition 30 # 993; Stage 2 n a bit....
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2016, 10:26:53 pm »

i think they all get made in china...

HOLY FECK!

And I'm fretting about my halfrauds Chinese axle stands!

Out of curiosity, did you consider  anything like these? Have been trying to justify for a while now...

http://www.frost.co.uk/strongman-28000-kg-tamar-mid-rise-mobile-scissor-car-lift-ramp-240v.html

Offline M4T VW

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2016, 12:41:51 pm »

i think they all get made in china...

HOLY FECK!

And I'm fretting about my halfrauds Chinese axle stands!

Out of curiosity, did you consider  anything like these? Have been trying to justify for a while now...

http://www.frost.co.uk/strongman-28000-kg-tamar-mid-rise-mobile-scissor-car-lift-ramp-240v.html

Haha, its still made pretty well even if it was made for a bowl of rice  :grin:
There are saftey locks all up the center column so you can remove the hydraulic ram with the car in the air if you wanted. It's pretty stable in the air to be honest! You have to spend a few minutes getting the lift in the right position and test it each time.
I'm going to be removing the rear beam soon which is the only bit of weight left in the back end so it's going to be very front heavy. I think i will put the forklift under the front of it as a safety measure  :happy2:

I did look at those types but it didnt really help. All the frame work is in the way if you wanted to work under it and you care still on your hands and knees. Theres nothing better than working under a car stood up!

Offline M4T VW

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2016, 09:33:47 pm »
I'm trying to get these updates in order as it's moving quite fast at the moment!

I had a delivery to do in Bridgewater so thought it would be good to pop in to TSR while i was there and speak to them about a roll cage. I had been in e-mail contact with Rob already but just wanted to show my face and have a quick chat. Once i was there they showed me a couple of the cars they were building and i booked mine in there and then. Sadly with both TSR's and my workload, this turned out to be nearly 2 months before i managed to take the car down.

While the car was away i still had plenty to be getting on with. When the car was on the lift I noticed that the rear axle was not in great condition and i needed to change all the bushes anyway so set about trying to find one that i could refurbish and build back up so all i would have to do is swap them over.

However getting hold of a MK5 GTI rear axle is actually quite difficult! I spoke to several breakers who never got back to me, A couple on eBay that had seen better days and others that were in Scotland or London with no way of getting them to me. I tried one of these "find a part" websites in the end and within half an hour i had a breaker on the phone with a low mileage complete axle and he could ship it to me! The price was actually better than what i was quoted from other people and that didn’t include shipping. It arrived a few days later and I expected it to be on a pallet wrapped up. However the driver said to me “6 parcels mate”. The breakers had taken the whole thing apart to ship it to me, saved me doing it I suppose! lol

Next, I needed some bushes. Funnily, at the same time as I was looking superpro released a new track/race kit for the MK5 Golf platform. You can see the press release for this at http://www.superpro.com.au/whats-new/media-a-press/item/309-superpro-upgrade-its-mk5-golf-kit
Performance VW also did a feature on the kit which you can read here. http://www.superpro.com.au/images/whats-new/Mk5_Golf/SUPPVW0616_-_SuperPro_-_Golf_MK5-r.pdf

I was already in contact with Henry Wright and Jamie Packham at Jtech performance parts as they are a Club GTI sponsor so I let them know what I wanted and they came back with a cracking price for it all. This included the alloy arms, front to rear bushes kit, front and rear ARB’s etc. The whole 9 yards. They also offered lots of advice which was great. It wasn’t just about the price, the service was excellent also. I ordered the kit from Henry and a few days later it turned up. It’s beautiful! [:|]

However, the replacement rear beam was not so beautiful. In fact it was a mess of flaky paint, surface rust, road grime. The usual problems any rear subframe faces to be honest. I couldn’t bolt on £1000’s worth of bushes, alloy arms and roll bars to a rusty subframe could i? ;)

Let’s get cracking on the paint removal then. I could have got this professionally done but I’m trying to save money at the moment as the spending is a bit out of control! I managed to pick up a sand blasting gun and some aluminium oxide shot for a good price from eBay. I have never done anything like this before so it was a bit of a learning curve to be honest but it came out pretty well I think.

First problem, we needed to remove the old bushes, I found the best way (as suggested by Justin) was to hole saw the middle out and insert a hacksaw blade to take a nip out the side. This releases the pressure and you can knock it out with a socket. I had them all done in an hour!

The second problem was where the hell do I sand blast these? I have a big workshop but it’s pretty full, I can’t just shoot metal filings everywhere and mixed with the rust it would have been a terrible mess. I also wanted to reuse the shot if possible as I know I was borderline if I had enough or not. So I needed a sealed container, big enough to take the subframe (arms removed). I know...

Yes, that is a pallet bin. We use it to tip waste into a large skip outside. We didn’t care about the paint on the bin and it’s sealed around the sides, bottom and back so it just needs a lid and it’s good to go! The pallet as a shelf worked well also, it allowed the media to fall through to the bottom and I could just hoover it out.

I spoke to one of my material suppliers to see if they had any scrap material. She had a scratched sheet of 3mm PETG that is perfect for what I needed so chucked it on my next delivery and it was like new to be honest. I managed to pick up a pair of blasting gloves from eBay also so I had the makings of a DIY blast cabinet for large items. A bit of hinge later and we have this contraption!

It worked really well, however I could have done with much more media for it. I put it through the 2nd time and it was less effective. It took twice as long to remove the paint but that’s all I could do really without spending more money.
Here are some comparisons of the parts.

Pretty good as you can see. The paint that is left on there is very strong so I left it on for added protection.
Then it’s just a case of hanging them up and giving them a few coats with the black hammerite. I did the arms and a few other bits one night as it was very hot that week. 30+ in the workshop so had to be done at night to stop it from drying out so quick.

I spent a morning outside painting the larger parts as I couldn’t fit it all on the forklift

They have been left for about 4 weeks now so I think that’s enough time to let it go hard. I will be putting it all back together with the superpro kit soon. :D

Offline SurreyED30

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 37
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2016, 09:50:46 pm »
Good work on the rear subframe mate, must of saved your self a few quid there!

look forward to the fully assembled post soon :happy2:
Edition 30 build No:692 Revo stage 2 SOLD
Edition 30 build No:440 Stage 1 SOLD

Offline bad devotions

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 22
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2016, 10:08:25 pm »
Epic work!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Offline tommygti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2016, 11:42:24 am »
That DIY blast cabinet is brilliant. I would do most of the modification myself aswell if I simply had a garage/workshop.

If your building a track car I would recommend buying some S3/TTS/passat front alloy hubs to help save some weight and they are more robust than the oem steel versions. You can pick them up very cheap if your look properly.

Offline M4T VW

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2016, 04:36:38 pm »
One of the many jobs that needed doing was a dash making up. This was to house the following items:
FIA cut-off switch

Ultra gauge, really handy device to have. I had it installed on the MK2 and it was great.

3 stack gauges, Oil Temp, Oil Pressure and boost!

I’m keeping the standard heater/blower setup (but removing aircon) so I needed to keep the factory controls. I could have moved them but it made sense to keep them in the same location as I can make a panel to fit into where the radio went.

First I needed to get the shape of the cut-out, easy when you have the tools!

Next, CNC the panel out from 3mm diabond.

Trial fit, like a glove!

The gauges turned up, They look good.

I missed out sticking the panel in using fibreglass but it’s well stuck. Lastly, cover the whole in in carbon fibre wrap.

I went a little OTT

That’s another job out of the way :thumbup: