Make a donation

Author Topic: MK5 Edition 30 #57 Track/Race Build  (Read 35681 times)

Offline M4T VW

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
Re: MK5 Edition 30 #57 Track/Race Build
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2016, 04:39:03 pm »
That DIY blast cabinet is brilliant. I would do most of the modification myself aswell if I simply had a garage/workshop.

If your building a track car I would recommend buying some S3/TTS/passat front alloy hubs to help save some weight and they are more robust than the oem steel versions. You can pick them up very cheap if your look properly.

Yes, I don't have a picture of them but i have a set of S3 alloy fronts. I put a wanted advert out for them and it was Luke who sold me the brakes messaged me to say he had a set also so i purchased them  :happy2:

Offline welshname

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2016, 03:35:55 pm »
Some serious work going into this.

Loving the dash panel.

Offline M4T VW

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2016, 01:31:39 pm »
Thanks!

Plenty of work has gone on since, Just need to find the time to write it all up.

Offline teo_parvu

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 30
  • -Receive: 57
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,96115.msg955433.html#new
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2016, 07:49:01 pm »
Superb work here! Need to watch where this is going ...  :party:
Good idea with the carbon wrap, looks pretty cool.  :happy2:

Offline M4T VW

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2016, 10:13:52 pm »
With the car still away getting the cage done i moved onto the brakes i bought from Luke. One new addition is alloy front hubs which i put a wanted advert out for. Who contacts me? Luke again lol
I wanted to mock them up (or one anyway) because reading around, i was going to have problems with the carrier as the mounting point on the alloy hubs are thicker for added strength so longer bolts are needed from the S3 to go with the hubs. Some bolts were supplied with the brakes so it was a case of put them together and see what happens.

Here are the bolts supplied with the brakes. They have been replated so they look like new but sadly they are too short because of the alloy hub. This is even without a locking washer which they ideally need as the heads are quite small on them.

This is a factory S3 bolt that would be correct with the hub and standard carrier. It's the perfect length and has a locking washer built in. However this is not a standard carrier so the thread is a fine thread, not a coarse thread like the VWR brakes so that's a waste of money.

The two side by side.

The other problem is wheels. I was having trouble shifting the edition 30 alloys as they are rare and no one wants to pay money for them. I saw a set go for £100 more than I'm asking on ebay and they were in worse condition than mine. I was thinking about using them as track wheels until i fitted one over the brakes, well i tried to! I couldn't even bolt them up as the offset is all wrong so i either run a 5-10mm spacer or sell them. I don't want to run spacers on this car really so the best option is to sell them and purchase some proper wheels.

It's a shame as they do really compliment the brakes.

I look around on the internet and find a cracking deal on some pro race 1.2's. Doing research again these fit over the brakes fine with the correct offset and these are even the correct fitting from VWR. No spigot's, no spacers, nothing. Bolt straight on! They are also in the VWR anthracite grey which will look amazing once fitted. So i bought 10 of of them lol

[l] They look amazing behind these wheels.

Perfect amount of clearance, direct to hub fitment.

Purchased longer bolts and nord-lock washers for the fixing. I bought two sizes so have an option when i come to fit them.

While all this was going on i received a call from a friend of mine that a suspension set that i have been looking for just popped up on facebook. I had to stop what i was doing and look straight away as these just done come up 2nd hand. This set was removed from garage midnight's track project that never made it to the road. They were fitted and it was pushed around the workshop only so they are like new. I saved a load of money on these. They are KW clubsports so should be perfect for this car.

Oh, It's back! :D

Offline Shoduchi

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2016, 10:53:25 pm »
Another awesome update! :congrats:

Offline Adamcrake1991

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 2
    • My GTTDi 140
    • Email
  • My Ride: Mk5 GTTDi 140
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2016, 10:06:00 am »
How much you wanting for your pescaras? Could be intetested

Offline M4T VW

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2016, 02:00:34 pm »
Another awesome update! :congrats:
Cheers. Looking forward to getting this done but i'm pretty busy all weekends up until christmas now so dont think it will be done by then. I have about 2 weeks off at christmas so plan to get a lot done then.

How much you wanting for your pescaras? Could be intetested

Sent you a PM.

Offline fab5freddy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 238
  • -Receive: 239
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2016, 08:39:50 pm »
10 wheels, love it.  :signLOL:

What offset did you go for to clear the brakes? 35? I'm looking for a set and interested to know what clears BBK, would you have a linky to where you got the wheels?

Those club sports look the business  :driver:

Such a great build  :happy2:

Offline M4T VW

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2016, 10:22:47 pm »
Roll cage update.

I received a call from TSR that the car was ready but they wanted me to pop down to have a look so went down early one Saturday. All looked great, apart from half of the dash, steering column, shuttle, engine missing. I didn't think how much they needed to remove to fit the cage. I had removed as much as i could, or so i thought lol
Here are some pictures from the Saturday. We collected it on the following Monday but it was raining, hence the bubble wrap at the windows. Oh yeah, they were missing too! lol

International spec cage with a few extra bits added. I didn't need it going through the bulkhead to the front struts so that saved a bit. Custom gear shift tower added also. I thought i might as well put a pretty good cage in seeing as i have come this far with the shell. It also adds to it's value but will limit it from some race series. I don't intend on selling it any time soon though [:s]
Back at my workshop it was time to mock a few things up before the inside was painted. Last thing i would want to do is ruin fresh paint on the inside.

Let's start with the hand brake.

Oh dear, that doesn't work. Let's move on lol
I loosely assembled the dash bar and column back together so we could start fitting the dashboard. This needed lots of cutting to fit around the two uprights. It doesn't help that the dash falls right on the bend also. I wanted to keep the front of the dash intact so no cut's through the vents. I have seen some shocking jobs of these done so it took a good half a day to get this fitted.
I had to cut into the dash more than i wanted to get it into position so once it's in there is quite a gap. I can cover this with a plate at a later date but it's the lesser of the two evils. The front stand intact and i might be able to get the vents working still.

Fixed the hand brake. Had to make up some brackets to move it towards the driver. It's in the middle of the car now so i don't chop my fingers off. To be honest i could do away with the whole thing but it creates more problems than it's worth.

I thought i would leave this stuff in as i know what a ***** it was to remove on the MK2. However i spilt petrol on it removing the tank and it reacted a little so had to remove it or it would show in the paint and bug me. I wish i had done it before the cage was installed though [><]

It's actually a lot easier to remove than the MK2 stuff but i suppose it's only been there 10 years, not 20+

I originally purchased Cobra Suzuka's for this car. I had them in the MK2 in GT width and they were very comfortable but we did slop around in them. I knew at the time if i did another car that i would get the same seats in standard width, so that's what i did.
When they arrived i got one out to test it and i couldn't actually get my bum into the seat :thumbd:. I never knew how much difference 30mm could make as i have a standard width Evolution pro on another project and that is the perfect width. I had no option but to send them back and swap them for two Evolution pro's instead.

I had to test fit the harness as it seems a little short. I'm looping around the rear roll cage bar which is between the rear struts. It's further back than most that i see but they have much more webbing left on their straps so i think it's a combination of the bar being that far back and the harness being shorter than most. I think it will be fine but will check it again once everything is bolted in tight and i can pull the straps in nice and tight.

The door side lap belts fall right into the standard seat belt captive nuts, much like the MK2.

The inner ones require welding in so i let my old man do that while i worked on the gear shift tower.

There was a little side to side movement in the tower so it needed changing. Now is the perfect time to do that so i set about beefing it up. I removed the two bars holding the actual shifter and welded in a flat plate to hold it properly. I can also mount the factory ABS and TC switches in front of the gear stick. I wont need them when it's mapped but have to switch them off manually currently. I will have to see if i can reach them once strapped in or might have to put them on a riser plate facing the driver.
I also changed the length of the side bars, making them shorter and bolted under the shifter means this is now very strong. There is no movement it in at all.

A date was booked for the painting so worked a few late nights on it. The rear struts had some spot weld drill marks on from the removal of rear brackets so i wanted to so something about this. I welded them up and smoothed it over. I gave it a spray of primer to make sure it was OK.

Just had to mask up the rest of the parts i didn't want painting then. It was easier to paint with the gearstick in place than remove it again so i covered this over. Also i wrapped the cables up to the pedals and put a big bag over them.

Gave the cage a rubdown to remove the sharp edges and welding blobs. Pushed it outside and gave it a couple of coats of etch primer.

All done ready for painting! :D

Offline M4T VW

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2016, 10:25:52 pm »
10 wheels, love it.  :signLOL:

What offset did you go for to clear the brakes? 35? I'm looking for a set and interested to know what clears BBK, would you have a linky to where you got the wheels?

Those club sports look the business  :driver:

Such a great build  :happy2:

Thanks!

The offset is ET45 to clear the brakes. I have the older VWR BBK though, Not sure on the newer one with the mono-block type calipers but i expect it to be the same.
These are the wheels. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-x-Team-Dynamics-PRO-RACE-1-2-Gloss-Black-Alloy-Wheels-8x18-5x112-PCD-ET45-/302104116189?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

Offline Dan_ED30

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2016, 06:48:04 pm »
Theres some time, effort and money went into this!

Fair play to you mate it looks awesome!

Offline M4T VW

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2016, 05:49:51 pm »
On to the paint then. We had a few choices for the inside and cage. White, which i did the MK2 in, was not very practical. It gets dirty & dusty quickly and these things aren't easy to climb in to hoover it out once the seats and cage is installed so that was out.
A couple of friends of mine just painted the inside of their MK1 in a dark grey. Although it looks great and very practical for a car like this, i wanted mine to give a professional look like it was factory built so there was only one choice, red! lol
I wanted a hard wearing colour as the white on my MK2 was just a colour, no clear coat or anything so you had to be careful. As we were trying to match the outside for colour it made sense to treat it like the exterior and follow the same products that were used. My friend managed to get me some LY3D hard coat base colour and also the other materials needed. He paints professionally for a living so i just left it up to him as i had no idea what i needed lol

A plan was hatched to use one of those paint booths that you can rent and they also have an oven. However, once the car came back from TSR and the state it was in currently, i think it would have been too much hassle getting it there and then getting it back without damaging the paint so we needed a plan B. We decided to do it in my unit as i had a good air supply, but a lot of planning was needed to stop the over-spray from covering everything. Firstly, I purchased a 3m x 6m one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121465515324?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&var=420405119128&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT It was cheap enough and i can use it in the garden one day maybe, Apart from it looks like someone has now died it in lol
Me and a work colleague put it up one Friday afternoon with the plan to paint it early Saturday. I was busy as work during the week so the unit was a little tight for space sadly.

Once we masked the car up outside of the "booth" to give us more space, we masked the inside also to try and protect the booth so it could have been used as a later date. I'm glad we actually gave it extra protection as it wasn't exactly sealed so every little helped on stopping the over-spray from getting out. The windows were so thin, I think a sandwich bag has thicker gauge material, but i suppose you get what you pay for [:s]

Although i had given the cage a coat with etch primer, guy wanted to go over it again with a light "mist" coat of normal grey primer.

From this point on, it all seemed to get a little messy! lol The booth did have a door on it but we removed it at the end. This is after 2 coats of colour and also one coat of lacquer. The floor covering did get a little damaged as the paint stuck to Guy's shoes and ripped the material. He started sticking to the floor in the end!
I think it looks amazing :D

This was the day after. I popped down to the workshop to peel off the covering and the colour just started to blend into the exterior colour. It looked a little dark in the previous pictures but it needed time to cure. As you can see from the next set of photos, the colour match is great.

I slotted together the R32 rear bumper and just hung it on the car to see what it looked like. There was a slight colour difference. The bottom part was practically orange! More paint needed :cry:

I want to thank Guy for the painting and all the advice he has given to get to this stage. I'm very happy with the end result! I also want to thank his partner Charlotte for the support and biscuits while we watched Guy paint lol:clap:

Offline Orc

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 25
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2016, 06:29:53 pm »
Great thread Matt, Lukes a good friend of mine and I've done a fair bit of work for him. This looks like a great build and your not far from me. I am doing the same currently in my garage getting ready for track.

Offline M4T VW

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2016, 10:01:30 am »
Great thread Matt, Lukes a good friend of mine and I've done a fair bit of work for him. This looks like a great build and your not far from me. I am doing the same currently in my garage getting ready for track.

Thanks! When do you think yours will be ready?