Make a donation

Author Topic: MK5 Edition 30 #57 Track/Race Build  (Read 35674 times)

Offline MIJ_JAGGER

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 103
  • -Receive: 77
Re: MK5 Edition 30 #57 Track/Race Build
« Reply #75 on: June 06, 2017, 10:34:24 am »
Now this is a build thread top work mate!

Offline M4T VW

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #76 on: June 07, 2017, 09:29:44 am »
Thanks guys, next update is a big one which spans over a couple of weekends due to complications so will take a day to write it up!

Offline ChrisGT

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 40
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,106577.0.html
« Reply #77 on: June 07, 2017, 11:40:13 am »
Thanks guys, next update is a big one which spans over a couple of weekends due to complications so will take a day to write it up!

Looking forward to it! This build thread is awesome  :drinking:

Chris
It wouldn't be fun if it was easy, I just wish it wasn't this much fun.

Offline M4T VW

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #78 on: June 07, 2017, 10:56:53 pm »
Parts to fit in this instalment:

Superpro alloy lower control arms and alloy brackets.

Vibra-Technics Bottom Engine mount/Subframe mount

The front FK Clubsport coilovers with adjustable top mounts

Plus Audi S3 alloy front hubs, VW Racing front brake discs and mounting adapters for the VW racing brakes with braided lines. New outer CV’s both sides & new hubs, new droplinks to the superpro front ARB. Superpro adjustable ball joints.

Tools broken: Air impact gun, Small ½” breaker bar, Larger ½” to ¾” adapter and nearly my hand.

Right, where to start on this one. Like the rear setup I knew this was going to be hell of a job to fit all this. I planned a whole weekend and it actually took two because of a few problems along the way which you will see. It’s just nuts and bolts, should be pretty easy right?
Well firstly, let’s start by removing the driver’s side wheel and hub nut. No picture as it’s not a very interesting process! Crikey that hub nut is a bit tight, SNAP! There goes my Halfords 1/2” breaker bar. Let’s try the air impact wrench, at least 10 ugga duggs’s and BANG! There goes my trusty air impact wrench. I’m down 2 tools already and all I have taken off is a wheel! Let’s get some lunch and I will go to machine mart to see what I can find to help. A couple of hours later I have these.

A 900mm ¾” breaker bar. Sadly they didn’t have a ¾” socket in stock to fit the hub nut so I had to buy a ¾” – ½” adapter to fit the socket.

This is it against the ½” Halfords bar.

The biggest air impact gun they had on the shelf (nearly double the rating of my old one)

This better bloody work or I’m stuffed.
SNAP, Oh come on!! (The breaker bar in this picture is the ½” Halfords one who replaced it FOC)

The air impact gun also failed to get it off, even with heat. However the other side flew off! That was a whole day gone so gave up and went home ****ed off.
Asked around for ideas and everyone suggested to remove the whole shaft and hub. I was replacing the hub and CV anyway but at the time I didn’t know you could split the CV from the shaft with the hub bolt still in there. I could have saved half a day if I had known this. It’s still a learning curve for me.
So with a plan for Sunday we got cracking early. Removed the drive cup from the gearbox however the strut would not split from the hub so had to take the whole bloody lot out in one go. Even the 3 bolts holding the top mount on were seized and needed cutting off. All the problems we had were on this side, everything came off lovely on the passenger side.

Success!

Right, let’s carry on with this side and replace the lower arm and bracket first.

The driver’s side curse strikes again, the passenger ones were fine! I was worrying at this point as it looked like a replacement subframe was required. Thankfully VW have this covered as the mounting points for the lower arms are replaceable without replacing the whole subframe. I jumped on eBay and purchased this.

While we wait for that to arrive, let’s move on to the lower engine mount. I couldn’t get hold of a matching revo mount so when for the vibra-technics one which everyone said was better anyway.
It was actually quite difficult to install due to the corrosion on the subframe. Its cast alloy so not too bad, it just needed some rubbing down with emery paper so take the rough part off and make it smooth so it slid in….with a mallet.

(Old bolt used, forgot to order a new one. This has since been changed for a new one)

Replaced the passenger side lower arm and bracket for the superpro alloy ones. They are so much lighter!

While waiting we broke out the angle grinder and cut the top off the suspension top mount. I didn’t want to take this off completely because it would lose strength and also make a lot more work to clean it up so we cut it as low as possible without marking the factory bonding stuff. After a clean-up and paint it should look good.

Also removed the other drive shaft to replace the CV so did them both at the same time.

Offline M4T VW

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #79 on: June 07, 2017, 10:57:57 pm »
That was it for another weekend so fast forward a week. The car was stuck on the lift. Thankfully being a single post lift on wheels you can lower the car down to the ground and actually move the whole thing around! The replacement subframe arrived during the week so it meant we can crack on at the weekend and get it back on its wheels.
Fitted the subframe piece, new hub, CV, suspension and tie-rod here. However you can see a problem. The factory tie-rod is far too long for the level of drop this suspension gives, which to be honest is actually not much! The ARB is now hitting on the alloy arm.

I guess it was obvious why we cut the top off the suspension mount, right? I think it works pretty well. You can fully adjust the top-mount now quickly and easily. I gave them a lick of paint to cover the raw edge.

I bolted on the brake adapter and braided line but that’s as far as I could go. I was yet to get any tyres for the new wheels and the wheels I was using to move the car around wouldn’t fit with the big brake’s on so couldn’t fit the caliper’s on sadly.

This nut gave me some issues as it’s frozen on the pipe. Managed to get the braided line on and it doesn’t leak thankfully!

Finally back on its wheels

Much camber?

Offline Paradox1

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 82
    • Email
« Reply #80 on: June 08, 2017, 10:35:49 am »
Crazy build!

im loving the attention to detail on this!!

Offline M4T VW

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #81 on: June 08, 2017, 01:49:26 pm »
Missed off the last bit fro the above post!

I managed to get hold of some superpro adjustable tie-rods which are a lot of money for what they are.  I don’t see that they are “adjustable” more “universal” as it’s a set and forget. Please someone let me know if I’m wrong but I don’t see how adjusting the length of the tie-rod will change anything.

This pulled the ARB away from the lower arm.

I had some friends pop over with a couple of things for me to try. One of them was a spare stud from their MK1. Obviously it was the wrong size for the MK5 but I wanted to check the length against the new wheels which I have just put tyres on. I went for 4 Yokohama AD08R as my road/wet setup to start with which leaves me 6 wheels for the track tyre which I have not decided on yet. This gave me an excuse to test fit a caliper and try the new wheels on.

However on the way down Guy (who painted the inside) noticed some brake binding on the MK1 so we took it into the workshop for a quick look. The caliper was half hanging off and needed a new adapter (G60 brakes) so they had to leave the MK1 at mine for a few days while they sourced the parts.

That concludes this part of the build, back to the interior next and get the bloody thing running again!

Offline tommygti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
« Reply #82 on: June 08, 2017, 01:54:31 pm »
Love the progress.

I feel your pain with those bolts. Ive snapped various bolts, rounded nuts off, stripped threads, etc... I'm no mechanic but its all a learning curve at the end of the day. I'f prefer to say I had a go at it at least before paying through the teeth for a professional to do it. Plus genuine VAG tools are stupid money.

Who needs the genuine tool anyway. Yeeehaaa 

Offline Shoduchi

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #83 on: June 08, 2017, 09:42:55 pm »
Those are lovely updates! Can't wait to see more now! :drool:

Offline Orc

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 25
    • Email
« Reply #84 on: September 30, 2017, 07:58:17 pm »
Matt, adjustable drop links ARE required for corner weighting of which you will def need going this balls deep into a track build!

Offline vag

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #85 on: October 01, 2017, 06:07:13 pm »
What an awesome build, need to crack on my with my track Slag!

davidif

« Reply #86 on: January 26, 2019, 11:26:53 pm »
Great read. Did this car get finished?