Make a donation

Author Topic: Safe limit to push a K03 GTi  (Read 16046 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: Safe limit to push a K03 GTi
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2010, 04:00:21 pm »

The 'safe' limit on any car is surely going to depend on the map and mods and maintenance of that individual car.

The more you push the envelope, the more the risk to reliability and longevity. Hence why race cars and Nurburgring BMW Taxi engines get stripped down so regularly.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline micky 32

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2010, 04:27:47 pm »
The KO3 engine is well able for a KO4 turbo and can run REVO stage 3 with no problems at all, stage 3 is based on stage 2+ on the KO4 engine. Even though the KO4 engine is " beefed " up over the Ko3 engine the threshold where it will blow up isn't actually that much higher, the KO3 engine is quite strong.
2008 Octavia vRS K04'd , Forge twintercooler, Evoms, Autotech uprated pump, full Milltek exhaust 324bhp on JKM's rollers ;-)

Offline xxx_mojo_xxx

• Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 19
  • MUBster DUBster
    • Project MUBster DUBster Evolution
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2010, 04:57:50 pm »
Is this based on anecdotal evidence or road tests, etc.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2010, 05:03:39 pm »

Is this based on anecdotal evidence or road tests, etc.

....It's based on what some bloke told you on the internet  :evilgrin:. But that also applies to anything I say too  :grin:

It's not so much a question of whether a K03 GTI can be pushed but more a question of risk. As I said before, the more you push the envelope, the more the risk. You don't have to be an expert to understand that.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline xxx_mojo_xxx

• Thank You
  • MUBster DUBster
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2010, 05:08:43 pm »
True, but there must be some sort of indicative boundary at which things start going horribly wrong....

Has anyone mangled their engine...are the K03 300bhp and K04 400bhp cars being used as daily runs abouts and being serviced as normal?

Or are the owners of these having to maintain a shorter service interval?

I realise I am a long way from these figures...but I was interested purely from an academic perspective and whether this is a consideration when chasing the bhp numbers....

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2010, 06:00:24 pm »
micky 32 already has a k04 converted BWA engine so its from persoanl experience as well.

The k04 converted BWA engines have been proven to be working well within limits on APR and REVO software time and time again, whilst making 320+ horsepower, so 300Hp is within the abilities of the BWA engine. Provided you have a good intercooler and as the other guys say, a reputable remap with the correct settings

DanGB bent a piston rod on his BT leon when it had the GT2871 turbo fitted on the BWA engine  So id say that anything more than the k04 is a no no
Or are the owners of these having to maintain a shorter service interval?
the general consensus is that having your car serviced every 10-12k is thr way to go, unless you are making some ridiculous power like jonnyC where you could half that to 5-6k intervals
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 06:02:57 pm by vRSy »

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2010, 06:03:02 pm »

We are all individuals and some will push to the limits of their car more than others. It's clearly sensible imo to increase servicing on a modded car - Change the plugs more often for example. Closely inspect the car more often etc etc - It's common sense.

I don't think anyone here has 'mangled' their engine.... Yet! Reading the various threads shows the extent of people's mods.

If it's any help, I have been told quite independently by very experienced people in the industry that unofficially VW build-in a 'headroom' tolerance of about +40% to their oem cars. So, applying that, a 200 bhp car is 'safe' up to 280 bhp unless you do further modifications.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2010, 06:06:00 pm »
+40% to their oem cars. So, applying that, a 200 bhp car is 'safe' up to 280 bhp

if thast true the Ed 30 is only ok for 322Hp, which we know is way below the abilities of them. however if they have thesame  internals as the S3 then that would be good fro 365Hp

Offline xxx_mojo_xxx

• Thank You
  • MUBster DUBster
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2010, 06:06:31 pm »
OK, the bhp limit I'm chasing is 280...  :star:

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2010, 06:09:26 pm »
safe as houses, get some water meth as well, lower inlet temps, so less detonation so less heat, with the by product of more power as well.

As jonny says the only way past 280hp on a k03 is with water methanol.

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2010, 06:15:36 pm »
I watch my TV in black and white to make it last longer, I don't want to be putting any stress on the colour....
Sideways yo!

Offline T88OMM

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2010, 06:18:32 pm »
 :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:
TT-RS Plus - S-Tronic

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2010, 06:20:17 pm »
The point is, you go as far as you personally feel comfortable with, which is what Robin is saying..

You cannot assign a figure to the breaking point of a motor, its really not that simple, its not just 350hp its ok.. 351 and its going to sh*t itself.. There are so so many different factors.. Which brings me back to my point that you could easily throw a rod at 200hp all it takes is excessive heat, a bearing to nip up in the bottom end and see ya later..

the general consensus is that having your car serviced every 10-12k is thr way to go, unless you are making some ridiculous power like jonnyC where you could half that to 5-6k intervals

I do mine every 3-4k, but thats very much on the safe side.. For the cost of a filter and 5 litres of oil and 30 mins effort its VERY much worth it in my eyes.. That goes for any car!

safe as houses, get some water meth as well, lower inlet temps, so less detonation so less heat, with the by product of more power as well.

As jonny says the only way past 280hp on a k03 is with water methanol.

Lets not get back into the K03 making 300hp with a standard intake argument.. But seriously.. Its NEVER going to happen without W/M and every single supporting mod to allow you to run gobs of boost low down, and lots of ignition advance top end..

Anyways Bacillus, are you going to make it to Pod? Then you can shut us all up with a mid 13 second run..  :wink: :wink:
APR Stage III TT-RS - 11.37 1/4 mile - 2.82 0-60 MPH

Build thread http://www.vagoc.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=3128

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2010, 06:20:29 pm »

I watch my TV in black and white to make it last longer, I don't want to be putting any stress on the colour....

.... :signLOL:

That's extremely funny but not in the slightest an equivalent. Your colour TV is delivered to you as a colour TV, not a B&W.

[That reminds me, it's about time I paid my licence!]

Offline micky 32

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2010, 06:34:56 pm »
I have 8k done since fitting the KO4 , everything still running perfect.
2008 Octavia vRS K04'd , Forge twintercooler, Evoms, Autotech uprated pump, full Milltek exhaust 324bhp on JKM's rollers ;-)