Make a donation

Author Topic: FULL exhaust for stage 2?  (Read 8103 times)

Offline Lucastheone92

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
FULL exhaust for stage 2?
« on: September 21, 2016, 09:46:03 am »
I'm aware of the hardware I need before my car is stage 2 ready at r-tech but just wondering if I will need a full exhaust system or will a downpipe and sports cat be ok, such as this?

https://www.awesomegti.com/shop-by-brand/milltek/milltek-vag-2-0t-fsi-and-tsi-cast-high-flow-downpipe-options/

Offline Paradox1

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 82
    • Email
Re: FULL exhaust for stage 2?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 10:56:55 am »
You can do it alot cheaper to be honest.
Relentless downpipes have good rating and are much cheaper.

You dont really need a catback to get a decent result but it free's up a few BHP(i really mean a few bhp, its more for sound)

Offline Lucastheone92

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 11:12:33 am »

You dont really need a catback to get a decent result but it free's up a few BHP(i really mean a few bhp, its more for sound)
So my car would still be stage 2 ready with just a downpipe and sports cat instead of buying catback too?

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 11:19:59 am »

So my car would still be stage 2 ready with just a downpipe and sports cat instead of buying catback too?
Correct

Offline Lucastheone92

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2016, 11:41:38 am »
Cheers guys  :happy2:

Offline bonelorry

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 72
  • -Receive: 44
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2016, 11:46:19 am »
Yes niki Mapped a Golf Edition 35 not that long ago which had a 3" Downpipe mated to a Standard Cat-Back system, Its the Downpipe that is the biggest restriction and as such when going beyond Stage 1 the stock Pre-Cat and Downpipe will create high EGT's so the restriction is removed by fitting a Larger Downpipe and less restrictive Cat!

It made 351BHP & 385LB/FT of Torque which is about right for the Torque but the BHP is down a little, He said it was a poor flow set-up.

However and as Niki said for flow purposes a Full Turbo Back Exhaust is always the best option!

Upto you at the end of the day, After Stage 1 all Niki tries to do is maximise from the hardware fitted!

Offline Lucastheone92

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2016, 11:58:02 am »
Yes niki Mapped a Golf Edition 35 not that long ago which had a 3" Downpipe mated to a Standard Cat-Back system, Its the Downpipe that is the biggest restriction and as such when going beyond Stage 1 the stock Pre-Cat and Downpipe will create high EGT's so the restriction is removed by fitting a Larger Downpipe and less restrictive Cat!

It made 351BHP & 385LB/FT of Torque which is about right for the Torque but the BHP is down a little, He said it was a poor flow set-up.

However and as Niki said for flow purposes a Full Turbo Back Exhaust is always the best option!

Upto you at the end of the day, After Stage 1 all Niki tries to do is maximise from the hardware fitted!
Just a couple of questions...

What are EGT's?

And how would a full system be better than just a downpipe. Isn't the catback just for noise?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bonelorry

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2016, 09:31:21 pm »

What are EGT's?

And how would a full system be better than just a downpipe. Isn't the catback just for noise?

EGT = Exhaust Gas Temperature

A Full System is always better as it a freer flowing. The Catback is not just for noise, On a standard car it wont make to much difference however the recommended Minimum Hardware for a Stage 2 Edition 30 is a Full Uprated Turbo Back Exhaust such as a Milltek or Powervalve system.

This means a 3" Downpipe with Sports/Race Cat and ideally 3" Cat-Back too, As mentioned you can get away with just fitting the Downpipe and retaining you standard Cat-Back System but it is not ideal and as such you wont get the full benefit of going Stage 2/2+.

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2016, 09:52:14 pm »
you can still get 270+ bhp form just fitting a DP and de cat /sport cat and it's not necessarily important to replace the cat back from the dyno  I've seen on fb and no one had anything bad to say although the owner is going to replace the cat back at some point to free up the 5 maybe 10 bhp he's losing  :signLOL:

Offline bonelorry

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2016, 10:24:00 pm »
you can still get 270+ bhp form just fitting a DP and de cat /sport cat and it's not necessarily important to replace the cat back from the dyno  I've seen on fb and no one had anything bad to say although the owner is going to replace the cat back at some point to free up the 5 maybe 10 bhp he's losing  :signLOL:

The OP has an Edition 30 so at Stage 2 his car is going to be making a good 60BHP on top of what a GTI would make at Stage 2, At 270BHP on a GTI its not so much the Exhaust that is the main problem more so that the K03 is getting towards the end of its capability so yes 5-10BHP at those levels just by making it flow as well as possible.

On an Edition 30 it is the Exhaust that becomes a restriction before the K04 does!

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, An Edition 35 that Niki Gower mapped recently to Stage 2+ made decent power but had more potential with the right hardware fitted and could have made even more power. He said it was a poor flow set-up.

Why create a restriction or put an obstacle in the way if you want more power and want to go to Stage 2 or beyond? Either do it right or don't bother at all!

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2016, 10:31:43 pm »

The OP has an Edition 30 so at Stage 2 his car is going to be making a good 60BHP on top of what a GTI would make at Stage 2, At 270BHP on a GTI its not so much the Exhaust that is the main problem more so that the K03 is getting towards the end of its capability so yes 5-10BHP at those levels just by making it flow as well as possible.

On an Edition 30 it is the Exhaust that becomes a restriction before the K04 does!

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, An Edition 35 that Niki Gower mapped recently to Stage 2+ made decent power but had more potential with the right hardware fitted and could have made even more power. He said it was a poor flow set-up.

Why create a restriction or put an obstacle in the way if you want more power and want to go to Stage 2 or beyond? Either do it right or don't bother at all!
Its very true not to restrict the flow and pardon me I just realised it's an ed30 K04 so will make more power with less restrictions from the exhaust. That's a bugger 60hp more than a K03 :sad1:

Offline Lucastheone92

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2016, 09:45:02 am »

What are EGT's?

EGT = Exhaust Gas Temperature

A Full System is always better as it a freer flowing. The Catback is not just for noise, On a standard car it wont make to much difference however the recommended Minimum Hardware for a Stage 2 Edition 30 is a Full Uprated Turbo Back Exhaust such as a Milltek or Powervalve system.

This means a 3" Downpipe with Sports/Race Cat and ideally 3" Cat-Back too, As mentioned you can get away with just fitting the Downpipe and retaining you standard Cat-Back System but it is not ideal and as such you wont get the full benefit of going Stage 2/2+.
Ok thanks i'll probably go for a full system then even though its double the cost of just a downpipe! Much difference between the Milltek or powervalve? swaying more towards powervalve to it is quieter at low revs  and have also heard about the Milltek cracking.

Offline bonelorry

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2016, 11:55:34 am »
Ok thanks i'll probably go for a full system then even though its double the cost of just a downpipe! Much difference between the Milltek or powervalve? swaying more towards powervalve to it is quieter at low revs  and have also heard about the Milltek cracking.

Both will do the job, Given the choice of the Two I would go for the BCS Powervalve System.

It is considerably expensive going beyond Stage 1 and it depends what your end goal is? As you are already at Stage 1 personally I don't think the additional 20BHP & 20/30LB/FT you will gain going Stage 2 is worth the £1200 it costs for a new Full Powervalve System.

I am not planning on taking my Edition 30 beyond Stage 1 not because of the costs involved but will focus on spending the £1200 it would cost for an Exhaust System on sensible Suspension upgrades and to make the most of the additional power. End goal for me is to make a balanced package with 300BHP or thereabouts whilst still keeping it as OEM as possible.

Totally up to you its your car, As you have only been at Stage 1 for a few weeks and already are asking questions about going further I would probably recommend going straight to Stage 2+ if you can justify the costs! You might get bored of Stage 2 very quickly!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 11:57:12 am by bonelorry »

Offline Lucastheone92

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2016, 12:17:00 pm »

Both will do the job, Given the choice of the Two I would go for the BCS Powervalve System.

It is considerably expensive going beyond Stage 1 and it depends what your end goal is? As you are already at Stage 1 personally I don't think the additional 20BHP & 20/30LB/FT you will gain going Stage 2 is worth the £1200 it costs for a new Full Powervalve System.

I am not planning on taking my Edition 30 beyond Stage 1 not because of the costs involved but will focus on spending the £1200 it would cost for an Exhaust System on sensible Suspension upgrades and to make the most of the additional power. End goal for me is to make a balanced package with 300BHP or thereabouts whilst still keeping it as OEM as possible.

Totally up to you its your car, As you have only been at Stage 1 for a few weeks and already are asking questions about going further I would probably recommend going straight to Stage 2+ if you can justify the costs! You might get bored of Stage 2 very quickly!
Yeah you have a point it is a lot of money and don't get me wrong I love the car and the power but I suppose the main thing I'd like is a bit more noise which I would get from an exhaust and an intake which would then be stage 2 ready anyway! I couldn't really go stage 2+ because my insurance wont allow me to get an intercooler.

At the same time, as well as the large cost I'm also thinking is it worth it when it already gives the traction control a hard time as it is! It can only really properly put the power down with 300hp when conditions are perfect!

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2016, 12:22:36 pm »

That's true bonelorry but don't forget the exhaust note is also part of the driving experience. I can tell you that an OEM exhaust isn't bad but the Powervalve system is even more addictive when really boosting the engine. It makes you want to go for a drive just for the sound it makes. :wink:

While keeping civilised when pottering around and daily driving.