Make a donation

Author Topic: help needed: central locking stopped working  (Read 19182 times)

Offline lordbigsack

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
help needed: central locking stopped working
« on: October 04, 2016, 09:36:17 am »
I get back to my car last night at the train station and find some muppet without any spacial awareness has scuffed my rear bumper on the offside.  motherf***ers that is bad form, obviously no note or details.  Thanks a bunch. 

Anyhoo, i get home park on the drive, press the button to lock the car and wait for the 'clunk' - nothing.  Strange, must be a door open or something.  Check and they all look closed, try the button again - nothing.  I go around the car and open both doors and boot and shut them up, again  - nothing.

When i am in the car the button on the door works but the fob still doesnt.

Reason i mention the scuffing is just incase there is anything around that area that could have anything to do with the problem.  Might just be coincidental.

Anyone had similar ??

Going on Holiday tomorrow and the car is booked into the airport carpark.

car:  2007, Standard Ed30, 3 door

Any help appreciated.

S
Standard Edition 30

Offline Flyingscotsman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 21
Re: help needed: central locking stopped working
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 11:15:35 am »
If button on door works but not fob, then try changing battery in the fob. There are various you-tube videos that show you how.

Offline lordbigsack

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 11:20:03 am »
Garage changed battery today but its made no difference :(

Any other suggestions?  This could scupper my holiday if i cant get it fixed   aaaarrrggghhhhhhhhh

Standard Edition 30

Offline f00glee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2016, 12:20:44 pm »
Does the little light on the remote blink when you press buttons? Could be a fault with the remote (other than battery) or could be the reciever on the car. Possibly just that the car has "forgotten" the remote? im sure ive seen somewhere a routine for re-pairing keys. some sequence of putting the key in the lock, twisting, etc  :thinking:

Can you not just lock the car manually i.e. key in lock, for your holiday? Im pretty sure this just perfroms the same action as the remote anyway so all alrms etc will be set? Or another silly suggestion.. spare key? (Just call me captain obvious!)

I had a wierd one the other week where I could not lock my car via remote, so used the key. Turned out later in the day that one of my colleagues had been broadcasting from his in-car amateur radio and we came to the conclusion that his broadcasting jammed the signal from my remote!
Current:
Mk6 R, Tornado Red, 5-door, '13.
Previous:
Mk5 GTI, Tornado Red, 3-door, '06, R-tech Stage "1+"

Offline leebes

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 7
  • When's the next track day?
  • My Ride: 2007 Mk5 Gti (Reflex Silver)
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2016, 12:30:57 pm »
...another silly suggestion.. spare key? (Just call me captain obvious!)

That's exactly what I was gonna suggest...would help point to either the central locking itself or the original key  :happy2:

Offline lordbigsack

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2016, 02:19:01 pm »
Thanks captain obvious :) 

To my shame I had not considered just using the key until reading this.  Think I was just in a bit of a panic with the Hol tomorrow (or maybe the thought of 100mile journey in a fiat 500).  Panic now over.

Spare key not working either, tbh not sure if it ever has though as I have never used it the entire time i've had the car.

Battery swapped over at local VW place, light blinking away when pressed, made no difference.  Light was blinking before battery swapped as well.

Taking spare into garage tomorrow for them to check the battery on it.  i'll keep googling to see if anything pops up.

Standard Edition 30

Offline f00glee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2016, 03:25:03 pm »
http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=43747.0

4th post from the above details the process for re-pairing the key. No idea if it actually works, but must be worth a go!
Current:
Mk6 R, Tornado Red, 5-door, '13.
Previous:
Mk5 GTI, Tornado Red, 3-door, '06, R-tech Stage "1+"

Offline r5gtt

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2016, 03:36:32 pm »
Try putting your key in the Ignition and pressing the buttons whilst ignition on or hold key in door and turn either way to make windows auto drop and locking again then press remote to se if that helps.

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2016, 05:19:29 pm »
You need to reset the remote. Instructions should be in your manual.
Mine says:
1) Within range...Press Unlock on the remote control key.
2) Within one minute, use the key bit to manually unlock the driver's door.
3) Switch the ignition to "ON".

It also says "TIP", "if the unlock button is pressed many times outside its effective range...it will no longer unlock the vehicle".  Chances are your pocket was playing with it too much.

If following the reset instructions don't work...you may need to have the dealership reprogram it.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 05:25:08 pm by ROH ECHT »
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2016, 02:02:51 am »
Did this work...what I posted? Would like to know what solved this for future reference  :happy2:
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline lordbigsack

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2016, 07:04:21 pm »
Sadly it didn't help  :confused: back off hols now and I'm going to take it down to the garage to see if they can help any further. They were getting a new diagnostic machine last week and seemed confident it would help. They don't charge unless they fix so I've nothing to lose. 

Standard Edition 30

Offline grant

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2021, 03:29:57 pm »
Sadly it didn't help  :confused: back off hols now and I'm going to take it down to the garage to see if they can help any further. They were getting a new diagnostic machine last week and seemed confident it would help. They don't charge unless they fix so I've nothing to lose.

Did you ever get this fixed I have pretty much the exact same issue!

Offline Bradstaroz

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2023, 12:47:05 am »
Hi I have the same fault on my MK5 R32. Tried the battery disconnect / reconnect procedure without success. Anybody else find a solution?

Offline deltawing

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2023, 12:07:37 pm »
Hi I have the same fault on my MK5 R32. Tried the battery disconnect / reconnect procedure without success. Anybody else find a solution?

When I had central locking problems, it was the Comfort Control Module. The central locking would rarely work and only if right next to the car, until it gave up completely. In the end i had to buy vcds to recode the replacement ccm from the old one as each one is coded to a particular car for keys etc cost around 200 all in with vcds and a used ccm