Make a donation

Author Topic: Bought a mk5 golf gti 2.0 turbo on a 58 plate standard need ideas for mods  (Read 1626 times)

M31dcm

got my mk5 2.0 turbo golf gti on a 58 plate,guy was the only owner and kept it all standard,need ideas about mods,interested in a remap and upgrading the steering wheel to a multi function mk6 or mk7 wheel if possible,need a new head unit asap also,I think standard it's 200bhp looking to push that to 250 for starters,any help would be appriciated,I'm based just outside Glasgow,thanks in advance people

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
Have you looked at the mods section linked from the homepage? Decent little feature and lists the majority of good basic mods with user reviews etc.

Power wise, you can go mad. If you think you might soon get used to the 240-250bhp a remap gets you, there are loads of things you can do before the map to gain anything up to about 285bhp and 360lb/ft on the k03 engine (normal GTI). If it's an Edition 30 (k04) the same mods can take you past 350bhp and similar torque. If you want subtle, then a precat delete is useful, along with an uprated panel filter, or for a bit more noise and flow an intake kit (Revo, ITG, Ramair, the list goes on). A bigger downpipe and decat/sport cat will gain more power than a precat. An uprated fuel pump (HPFP) is a great mod on a TFSI (Loba or APR). Then there's bigger intercoolers etc. When you get round to mapping, R-Tech are very good. Fully custom, very smooth, loads of usable torque. Revo are good for tweakable generic maps.

There's loads to list. Have a read of some build threads.

It's worth renewing a few known weak points before upping the power. The diverter valve, pcv and cam follower all wear and can affect reliability and performance. A VW revision G diverter valve is a good option, along with the revision R pcv.

Again, do a search, read up, and you'll get the idea. Good luck!

Offline El1M1N8OR

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=rk34e002gu16vlgd5kqcf42lr0&/topic,127700.msg1139562.html#msg1139562
Have you looked at the mods section linked from the homepage? Decent little feature and lists the majority of good basic mods with user reviews etc.

Power wise, you can go mad. If you think you might soon get used to the 240-250bhp a remap gets you, there are loads of things you can do before the map to gain anything up to about 285bhp and 360lb/ft on the k03 engine (normal GTI). If it's an Edition 30 (k04) the same mods can take you past 350bhp and similar torque. If you want subtle, then a precat delete is useful, along with an uprated panel filter, or for a bit more noise and flow an intake kit (Revo, ITG, Ramair, the list goes on). A bigger downpipe and decat/sport cat will gain more power than a precat. An uprated fuel pump (HPFP) is a great mod on a TFSI (Loba or APR). Then there's bigger intercoolers etc. When you get round to mapping, R-Tech are very good. Fully custom, very smooth, loads of usable torque. Revo are good for tweakable generic maps.

There's loads to list. Have a read of some build threads.

It's worth renewing a few known weak points before upping the power. The diverter valve, pcv and cam follower all wear and can affect reliability and performance. A VW revision G diverter valve is a good option, along with the revision R pcv.

Again, do a search, read up, and you'll get the idea. Good luck!

Any Exhaust brands to buy.  I want to go stage 1 upgrade along with other hardware upgrades to get the most of of the stage 1.

Offline Octoparrot

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 99
    • Email
BCS POWERVALVE seem to be the top exhaust manufacturer. All the other manufacturers seem pretty much the same. Personally I'd stay away from the cheap Ebay stuff.

Offline imprezzaworks

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 6
Subtle mods and keep it close to standard imo.

Rare to find these days.