Make a donation

Author Topic: Exceeding oil capacity  (Read 1232 times)

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 33
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=gm99el289nrp5tjbp9j8hijmv5&/topic,131272.0.html
Exceeding oil capacity
« on: October 30, 2022, 06:05:03 pm »
Oil capacity is 4.6 litres. Would there be an issue by sticking 5 litres in instead? Wondering if it's an alternative or at least an improvement over standard to running a baffled sump for track work that costs no additional money - just for that peace of mind that its less likely to encounter oil starvation at any point.

Offline LC5F

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 79
Re: Exceeding oil capacity
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2022, 06:43:36 pm »
Hi fella - what are you trying to achieve here is it avoiding oil starvation in corners?

Don't know what it is, but I struggle to read the grey plastic on the dip stick - I have over filled mine several times, but that's a road car - it may not be sustainable if tracking.

Maybe look into increasing capacity - I read that as the the AKS balance shaft delete kit completely removes the mass of the balancer shafts - this adds more oil capacity https://www.akstuning.co.uk/shop/home/550-13139-tfsi-oil-pump-balance-shaft-delete-modification.html#/417-balance_shaft_delete-i_am_sending_you_my_pump_1st/1628-vis_sprocket-yes
Strangely the link doesn't state how much.

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=gm99el289nrp5tjbp9j8hijmv5&/topic,131272.0.html
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2022, 07:11:23 pm »
Basically yeah via the corners. If I ran slicks think some sort of modification like that would be a must but on just a semi slick I think it's likely going to be okay but was pondering if adding an extra 400ml of oil doesn't do any harm then it might better the chance that oil starvation never happens? Could be over thinking a non issue but as it doesn't cost anything to do was wondering if I might as well if it indeed doesn't do any harm?

Nice idea on the balance shaft delete - I'd heard of that mod but never understood what the purpose was - now I know!

Offline LC5F

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 79
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2022, 07:25:24 pm »
The free wheel VIS cog leaves the shaft masses still sat there taking up space & weight.

Offline GVK

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 62
    • GVKmotorsport
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2022, 07:53:46 pm »
I wouldnt overfill it, I think it will push excess oil into the pcv/inlet and smoke

Offline breeze

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 12
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2022, 06:35:57 am »
Balance shaft delete (as in properly removing the shafts) makes sense, I think if I were tracking mine I would be disengaging them / removing them anyway.

Generally filling to max on the dipstick for trackdays is a good start.

Unless you are very quick / running slicks you are probably OK but honestly I’m not familiar with the MK5 in particular.

Assuming you have things like an uprated intercooler and a map that is standard or at least not pushing everything to the limit. I’d be careful about running one of the big power maps on a hot trackday.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2022, 12:30:46 pm »
I've always shoved a 5 litre tub in at every oil change for 8 years and it's never done any harm, or smoked.  I just can't be arsed to measure out 4.6 litres, or what ever it is.
5 litres is only a few mm above the max marker. I think the EA113s track better than EA888s in terms of PCV oil dumping.  MK7s are really bad for blowing clouds of blue smoke on tracks.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2022, 12:37:48 pm »
I've always shoved a 5 litre tub in at every oil change for 8 years and it's never done any harm, or smoked.  I just can't be arsed to measure out 4.6 litres, or what ever it is.
5 litres is only a few mm above the max marker. I think the EA113s track better than EA888s in terms of PCV oil dumping.  MK7s are really bad for blowing clouds of blue smoke on tracks.

Ah that was the reassurance I was looking for, May not doing much or anything at all and may be a non existent issue but if its no extra cost and helps me sleep a little easier then why not. Yeah I've noticed little talk about issues with these in standard form but have heard  afew say catch cans and such are a necessity for mk7's on circuit.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2022, 03:26:09 pm »
I don't know if extra oil will help with oil surge on track, but it certainly doesn't hurt it in terms of over filling  :happy2:

I've never even seen a baffled sump for MK5s?!  The oil pick up is barely any lower than the balancer/pump assembly, so that bulky piece sat in the oil will help reduce surging on corners.

MK7s have a more open sump as the balance shafts are in the block higher up I believe, so more room for the oil to slosh about into the primary oil separator, which then finds it's way into the upper PCV, and then dumped into the intake  :grin:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline bobby_fodge

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 38
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2022, 06:50:09 pm »
I've done the full balance shaft delete jazz and I run a mocal external oil cooler.

I end up need to add about 5 something litres to get the dipstick to show near max.

I guess the oil should be in a better condition for longer as it won't get as hot and degrade as 4.6 litres would.

Could you weld some baffles into the sump if you plan on slick and stuff?