Make a donation

Author Topic: Which stereo?  (Read 68846 times)

Offline blueislander80

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 3
Re: Which stereo?
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2016, 11:11:32 am »
So I have seen the rcd330plus on aliexpress at a decent price - if I got that, it would have everything but DAB and a cd drive right? And would just slot straight in?

Cheers

Offline trackep

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2016, 11:29:33 am »
Will the RCD330G plus also charge my phone when it is plugged in? thank you

Offline PatchySan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 59
  • Gracie!
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2016, 12:29:29 pm »
So I have seen the rcd330plus on aliexpress at a decent price - if I got that, it would have everything but DAB and a cd drive right? And would just slot straight in?

Cheers

Correct, the RCD 330G Plus doesn't have Digital Radio (DAB) or a CD player but you gain a bigger screen making it easier to view and scroll (worth it IMO). 

It uses the standard Quad Lock cable so it is straight plug and play so no need to splice wires like the RCN 210. If you have the MDI interface or 6 CD Autochanger prefitted then you will lose those features but the RCD 330G makes them redundant anyway.

It should do yes, plus if your phone is Mirrorlink 1.1 compatible you can use it to view certain mobile apps on the stereo system as well.

Offline blueislander80

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2016, 02:27:32 pm »

Cheers

Correct, the RCD 330G Plus doesn't have Digital Radio (DAB) or a CD player but you gain a bigger screen making it easier to view and scroll (worth it IMO). 

It uses the standard Quad Lock cable so it is straight plug and play so no need to splice wires like the RCN 210. If you have the MDI interface or 6 CD Autochanger prefitted then you will lose those features but the RCD 330G makes them redundant anyway.

It should do yes, plus if your phone is Mirrorlink 1.1 compatible you can use it to view certain mobile apps on the stereo system as well.

Great, I am going to order a 330G or G PLUS tomorrow off aliexpress. I have a 2006 gti... will I need to order a canbus as well?

Thanks!

Offline PatchySan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Gracie!
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2016, 04:06:10 pm »
Great, I am going to order a 330G or G PLUS tomorrow off aliexpress. I have a 2006 gti... will I need to order a canbus as well?

Thanks!

On the safe side you will need to order an updated Canbus Gateway to prevent battery drain for the RCD 330G, look out for the 7N0 907 530 gateways which are some of the later ones.

Offline blueislander80

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2016, 05:06:15 pm »

Thanks!

On the safe side you will need to order an updated Canbus Gateway to prevent battery drain for the RCD 330G, look out for the 7N0 907 530 gateways which are some of the later ones.

Excellent thank you, I will try and find that on aliexpress at the same time.

So RCD330g, canbus, fakra aerial and I should be fixed? :)

Offline PatchySan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Gracie!
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2016, 06:59:58 pm »

Pretty much all you need!  :smiley:

Offline blueislander80

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2016, 09:37:07 am »

Pretty much all you need!  :smiley:

Ordered a 330G+ (fakra included) and the 7N0907530 AH canbus from aliexpress, just under £140 all in, including shipping on their big 11.11 day!

Patchysan, invaluable help, can't thank you enough.

And now to google how to switch canbus out...!!!

Offline trackep

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2016, 10:28:26 am »
Ditto mate haha. Just done the same. Thanks again Patchysan. I'll update when i get it and fit. cheers Adam

Offline blueislander80

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2016, 10:49:00 am »
Ditto mate haha. Just done the same. Thanks again Patchysan. I'll update when i get it and fit. cheers Adam

lol same sort of price? That website is a nightmare to navigate!

I'd be keen to see how your fitting goes. I have never swapped or upgraded or done anything to any car I have ever owned so it's all new to me!

Offline trackep

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2016, 10:12:16 am »
Think is was about 180 dollars ithink haha. Regard fitting, hardest part will just be removing dash plastics without scratching them. I ordered one of them orange plastic trim kits of ebay. Then youtube is your friend mate, there will be a few videos on there about fitting.

Offline trackep

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2016, 09:34:03 am »
Received mine yesterday, all fitted up last night. Perfect condition. Not sure if i got the wrong Fakra cable but i had to leave one aerial unplugged but radio reception is fine. The only downside it seems is that i have lost volume control on the steering wheel. Any ideas if this can be rectified? It's no massive problem just a little niggle. The advantages of bluetooth and phone calls easily out weigh it. Very happy!!

Offline blueislander80

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2016, 10:45:17 am »
Received mine yesterday, all fitted up last night. Perfect condition. Not sure if i got the wrong Fakra cable but i had to leave one aerial unplugged but radio reception is fine. The only downside it seems is that i have lost volume control on the steering wheel. Any ideas if this can be rectified? It's no massive problem just a little niggle. The advantages of bluetooth and phone calls easily out weigh it. Very happy!!

Great news, did you need to change CANBUS and code it yourself? I am getting a local to do it as I am fairly sure the car will explode if I even think about trying it, such is my total lack of knowledge :)

Pics would be great to see how flush it is!!

Offline sambo101

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
  • My Ride: 2005 GTi Black, Stock Tune, 18" BBS CH
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2016, 10:53:08 am »
Wow great info in this post!

Will the 330G plug and play with a 2005 mk5?

I am very interested in getting one now.....
2005 GTi Black, Stock Tune, 18" BBS CH

Offline blueislander80

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2016, 11:08:35 am »
Wow great info in this post!

Will the 330G plug and play with a 2005 mk5?

I am very interested in getting one now.....

I "believe" so - that's what sold it to me, with inbuilt Bluetooth and aux/usb/sd etc so that there is no splicing or additional purchases.

CANBUS upgrade is needed for older models like my 56 I believe