Make a donation

Author Topic: Tool boxes / storage advice  (Read 5685 times)

Offline barelyrelevant

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 4
Tool boxes / storage advice
« on: November 22, 2016, 06:47:01 pm »
What type of box are you using to store tools in?

Like many, I started with a Halfords Advanced set a few years ago which comes in a carry case but obviously only for that specific set. Since then I've had to buy extra sockets, torx sets, extensions etc and sods law is that the tool I need is always in my other tool bag.

I was thinking of combining everything into something like this:

Can't be anything too big and heavy as I need to store it in the house and then carry it round to the driveway/road when using it. Oh how I long for a double garage with permanent tool cabinet...

Offline Carpy25

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 40
    • Email
Re: Tool boxes / storage advice
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 09:20:42 pm »
Why carry all your tools around they can be heavy , I've got tools I've only ever used once so keep them in a main box and use a smaller carry able box containing commonly used tools also my socket sets are still separate from this even if I need something not in the carry box I go and get just that tool

Big tool chest
Smaller carry box

:happy2:

Rob

Offline r5gtt

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 10:53:24 pm »
I have a flat pack halford style box called crescent with a side cutter/long nose pliers/all three ratchets 1/2 3/4 and 1/4 drive and it comes in very handy but if you have a mixture of tools.

4ndy

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2016, 07:42:01 am »
Have a look for tool rolls :happy2:

Offline grey golfster

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 79
  • -Receive: 34
  • Edition 30 # 993; Stage 2 n a bit....
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2016, 11:45:57 am »
What type of box are you using to store tools in?

Like many, I started with a Halfords Advanced set a few years ago which comes in a carry case but obviously only for that specific set. Since then I've had to buy extra sockets, torx sets, extensions etc and sods law is that the tool I need is always in my other tool bag.

I was thinking of combining everything into something like this:

Can't be anything too big and heavy as I need to store it in the house and then carry it round to the driveway/road when using it. Oh how I long for a double garage with permanent tool cabinet...

I've never found these to be much use, OK as storage, but as you amass a collection of tools they quickly become too heavy to move. Then they need to live on top of a roller trolley... then you need that garage - and a level driveway!

I store in a variety of chests, then take my tools to the job in various Stanley tool bags (get the hard bottomed ones to keep your kit dry on a wet road) and a medium size, lightweight, plastic tool box.

Offline HannahClark

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2021, 10:35:16 pm »
In my garage, all the tools are stored on shelves, where I can easily find them. In the car, they are located next to the spare wheel, there are not many of them, so I do not use boxes to store them. I can't say the same about my father. He is used to storing absolutely everything in special bags, which are sorted into all possible categories. He spent a really long time trying to choose high-quality bags for insturments. They are quite roomy and contain everything that he needs. In his golf (he has a station wagon) there is also a bag with insturments. There are so many of them that he can literally fix his car right on the highway (of course, if there is not a serious breakdown, for which spare parts will be needed).
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 02:04:52 pm by HannahClark »

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2021, 12:05:36 am »

I have the same constraint. I feel your pain! I used to have a double garage at my old house, and what a heavenly luxury that was.  But life throws us unexpected curve balls and I don't have that perk anymore.  It's not just about having the space and dry storage of a garage, it's also a private area to work on the car with your tunes on and a beer on the go.  I don't like working on my car outside in the shared car park, in eye shot of my neighbours, who I don't get on with.  And obviously outside car jobs are weather restricted, which is also frustrating.

Anyway, I've had to reduce my toolset down considerably as I only have a cupboard under the stairs to store them in. 

All you need is a good socket set, and I recommend the biggest Halfords professional set when they do a promotion on them.  Apart from that, you only really need torx and triple square sockets to do most jobs on these cars.  And a pair of trolley jacks and axle stands.

For any specific tools, ask for a loan on the forum.  A few of us have the genuine cam locking tools, polydrive sockets etc etc.

A long 3/4" breaker bar is especially useful for degreeing front and rear hub bolts/nuts after a bearing change. 

The old joke that all you need to fix a VW is a 10mm spanner and a hammer isn't actually too far from the truth tbh.  You don't need a lot of tools  :happy2:

« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 12:08:39 am by Pudding »

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline James Woodward

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2021, 09:38:59 pm »
In my garage, all the tools are stored on shelves, where I can easily find them. In the car, they are located next to the spare wheel, there are not many of them, so I do not use boxes to store them. I can't say the same about my father. He is used to storing absolutely everything in special bags, which are sorted into all possible categories. He spent a really long time trying to choose. They are quite roomy and contain everything that he needs. In his golf (he has a station wagon) there is also a bag with insturments. There are so many of them that he can literally fix his car right on the highway (of course, if there is not a serious breakdown, for which spare parts will be needed). I guess that some time soon I wiil get rid of them via this service.   
The other day my wife and I had sort of a quarrel and she threw all the instruments I kept in my garage. *facepalm*
« Last Edit: December 08, 2021, 05:07:33 pm by James Woodward »