General > Random Chat

Tool boxes / storage advice

<< < (2/2)

HannahClark:
In my garage, all the tools are stored on shelves, where I can easily find them. In the car, they are located next to the spare wheel, there are not many of them, so I do not use boxes to store them. I can't say the same about my father. He is used to storing absolutely everything in special bags, which are sorted into all possible categories. He spent a really long time trying to choose high-quality bags for insturments. They are quite roomy and contain everything that he needs. In his golf (he has a station wagon) there is also a bag with insturments. There are so many of them that he can literally fix his car right on the highway (of course, if there is not a serious breakdown, for which spare parts will be needed).

pudding:

--- Quote from: barelyrelevant on November 22, 2016, 06:47:01 pm ---Can't be anything too big and heavy as I need to store it in the house and then carry it round to the driveway/road when using it. Oh how I long for a double garage with permanent tool cabinet...

--- End quote ---

I have the same constraint. I feel your pain! I used to have a double garage at my old house, and what a heavenly luxury that was.  But life throws us unexpected curve balls and I don't have that perk anymore.  It's not just about having the space and dry storage of a garage, it's also a private area to work on the car with your tunes on and a beer on the go.  I don't like working on my car outside in the shared car park, in eye shot of my neighbours, who I don't get on with.  And obviously outside car jobs are weather restricted, which is also frustrating.

Anyway, I've had to reduce my toolset down considerably as I only have a cupboard under the stairs to store them in. 

All you need is a good socket set, and I recommend the biggest Halfords professional set when they do a promotion on them.  Apart from that, you only really need torx and triple square sockets to do most jobs on these cars.  And a pair of trolley jacks and axle stands.

For any specific tools, ask for a loan on the forum.  A few of us have the genuine cam locking tools, polydrive sockets etc etc.

A long 3/4" breaker bar is especially useful for degreeing front and rear hub bolts/nuts after a bearing change. 

The old joke that all you need to fix a VW is a 10mm spanner and a hammer isn't actually too far from the truth tbh.  You don't need a lot of tools  :happy2:

Octoparrot:
I've got a couple of these https://www.wickes.co.uk/Stanley-1-92-902-Professional-Mobile-Tool-Chest-with-Tote/p/117817?utm_source=google&scid=scplp117817&sc_intid=117817&ds_rl=1255384&ds_rl=1255441&ds_rl=1256318&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIoqOzvoSz7gIV2sLtCh0ZEAV-EAQYAyABEgLxz_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Easy to move around even when fully loaded.

LC5F:
Just for scrap yard trips I have a Bahco 4750FB1-19A Open Tool Bag.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bahco-4750FB1-19A-Open-Multi-Colour-19-Inch/dp/B014ZE126M/ref=bmx_1?pd_rd_w=4V7Q1&pf_rd_p=3b4d17ac-6eab-47e0-8b13-ee240cd59373&pf_rd_r=58CB8RWWZ3P7JSNJGP52&pd_rd_r=b487c9d0-0a91-482f-8a1c-29d3afc48c2a&pd_rd_wg=aWsPP&pd_rd_i=B014ZE126M&psc=1

James Woodward:

--- Quote from: HannahClark on January 14, 2021, 10:35:16 pm ---In my garage, all the tools are stored on shelves, where I can easily find them. In the car, they are located next to the spare wheel, there are not many of them, so I do not use boxes to store them. I can't say the same about my father. He is used to storing absolutely everything in special bags, which are sorted into all possible categories. He spent a really long time trying to choose. They are quite roomy and contain everything that he needs. In his golf (he has a station wagon) there is also a bag with insturments. There are so many of them that he can literally fix his car right on the highway (of course, if there is not a serious breakdown, for which spare parts will be needed). I guess that some time soon I wiil get rid of them via this service.   

--- End quote ---
The other day my wife and I had sort of a quarrel and she threw all the instruments I kept in my garage. *facepalm*

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version