Make a donation

Author Topic: New. Ed30 owner. Recent loss of power. Revs up&down when idle.  (Read 13110 times)

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
Re: New. Ed30 owner. Recent loss of power. Revs up&down when idle.
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2016, 04:32:18 pm »
No probs, happy to help. Fingers crossed it sorts it - keep us updated.

So what I've noticed today was driving for a duration of 20mins mainly motorway miles, my temp sat at 70'c, as I arrived to my destination and parked, it went up to just below 90'c. strange right?
That'll be the thermostat. Afaik there's more than one.

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2016, 04:32:58 pm »
f00glee beat me to it!

Offline UniquEd30

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2016, 07:21:27 pm »

So what I've noticed today was driving for a duration of 20mins mainly motorway miles, my temp sat at 70'c, as I arrived to my destination and parked, it went up to just below 90'c. strange right?

That sounds like a thermostat stuck open - meaning some coolant is always flowing through the radiator and keeping your temperatures down. Normally the thermostat should keep the coolant around the engine till it reaches temperature, at which point the radiator is bought in to the circuit via thermostat opening.

At least, thats the general idea. Not sure of the intimate details of the MK5 GTI (I understand there are two thermostats).

Right i'm totally newbie to this, whats the solution or fix?

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2016, 07:28:24 pm »
Have you taken it to a garage yet?

Offline f00glee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2016, 07:46:13 pm »

That sounds like a thermostat stuck open - meaning some coolant is always flowing through the radiator and keeping your temperatures down. Normally the thermostat should keep the coolant around the engine till it reaches temperature, at which point the radiator is bought in to the circuit via thermostat opening.

At least, thats the general idea. Not sure of the intimate details of the MK5 GTI (I understand there are two thermostats).

Right i'm totally newbie to this, whats the solution or fix?

Don't know enough to be able to advise you other than research the thermostats and see if you can diagnose yourself. Otherwise get a garage to look!
Current:
Mk6 R, Tornado Red, 5-door, '13.
Previous:
Mk5 GTI, Tornado Red, 3-door, '06, R-tech Stage "1+"

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 675
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2016, 12:26:09 pm »
If you update the front PCV valve, you need to make sure the rear one (the metal corrugated pipe that goes from the cam cover to the turbo) is also the updated one with the check valve in it.

I did the front only on mine (revision P at the time) initially and the revs bounced up and down at idle.  Fitted the newer rear pipe and it sorted it.  Mine's an 07 plate.

@UniqueED30 - I would have a look at the dump valve.  It might be split.  You would only get leaks from the new boost pipe if they didn't fit it properly.  It comes with new O rings, so I doubt they are worn out, but look for a puddle of oil on the belly tray at the pipe connections.  If you see that, boosted air is escaping.

just wanted to weigh in on the PCV/check valve quandry... This is what i found a while back, copied from an older post of mine:

"It seems revisions E, G and P require breather pipe with valve. Revisions N, L, K, F, C and R do not.

sources:
http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=44709.0
http://shopdap.com/2-0t-fsi-pcv-valve-failure-how-it-sounds-and-more/

The first link shows how the rev G requires the check valve, the second shows the two "types" of PCV. So reading between the lines I think that suggests which types do/do not require the "valved" breather hose."

I went from N -> R and did not have the breather pipe changed.   :happy2:

Thanks mate  :smiley:

So if I have a P and the revised rear tube, if I fit an R, will that still work or do I need to put the old valve-less tube back on?

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline f00glee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2016, 06:22:22 pm »
If you update the front PCV valve, you need to make sure the rear one (the metal corrugated pipe that goes from the cam cover to the turbo) is also the updated one with the check valve in it.

I did the front only on mine (revision P at the time) initially and the revs bounced up and down at idle.  Fitted the newer rear pipe and it sorted it.  Mine's an 07 plate.

@UniqueED30 - I would have a look at the dump valve.  It might be split.  You would only get leaks from the new boost pipe if they didn't fit it properly.  It comes with new O rings, so I doubt they are worn out, but look for a puddle of oil on the belly tray at the pipe connections.  If you see that, boosted air is escaping.

just wanted to weigh in on the PCV/check valve quandry... This is what i found a while back, copied from an older post of mine:

"It seems revisions E, G and P require breather pipe with valve. Revisions N, L, K, F, C and R do not.

sources:
http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=44709.0
http://shopdap.com/2-0t-fsi-pcv-valve-failure-how-it-sounds-and-more/

The first link shows how the rev G requires the check valve, the second shows the two "types" of PCV. So reading between the lines I think that suggests which types do/do not require the "valved" breather hose."

I went from N -> R and did not have the breather pipe changed.   :happy2:

Thanks mate  :smiley:

So if I have a P and the revised rear tube, if I fit an R, will that still work or do I need to put the old valve-less tube back on?

I believe if you do that you'll end up with a horrible noise as the extra valve flaps open and closed! Saw some videos where it made a horrible sound like an old generator. Better be safe rather than sorry and stick with PCV/pipe combinations stated above

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current:
Mk6 R, Tornado Red, 5-door, '13.
Previous:
Mk5 GTI, Tornado Red, 3-door, '06, R-tech Stage "1+"

Offline mrw

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2016, 09:20:13 pm »
Remove original message. Long day, forgot OP had an Ed30 :(
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 09:35:29 pm by mrw »

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2016, 09:30:52 pm »
Grey smoke is fuel vapour.

I think all this talk of PCVs is distracting from the real issue - I think an injector has failed and is literally pouring fuel into a cylinder.

Don't drive it hard until it's sorted  :happy2:

Oh, and your thermostat is defo failed, I had same symptoms
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline UniquEd30

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2016, 11:50:04 am »
Grey smoke is fuel vapour.

I think all this talk of PCVs is distracting from the real issue - I think an injector has failed and is literally pouring fuel into a cylinder.

Don't drive it hard until it's sorted  :happy2:

Oh, and your thermostat is defo failed, I had same symptoms

Hey pal,

Any way I can test if the injectors have failed? Or what I should look for?

Is it DIY-able the thermostat?

Offline UniquEd30

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2016, 01:26:27 pm »
Hey all,

MAJOR UPDATE!

So after weeks of confusion, loss of power and miles I have finally fixed my ed30 running as it should with all power restored.

It all came down to an OEM PCV which was on its way out.

So just incase anyone else comes across this, the problems I noticed was;

- Loss in power
- Rusty engine start
- Car smoking a lot usually light grey smoke
- Revs going up and down (between 900/1800)

No engine light whatsoever and no codes found when performing a fault-code test. After some days later of driving around still, engine light came on with code "p0171 system too lean (bank 1)". I replaced my old pcv with a Revision R pcv from TPS. Swiped the engine code clear and the car came out of some sort of restricted safety mode, and the car now runs amazing.

Thanks a lot guys!