Make a donation

Author Topic: Edition 30 - No Compression  (Read 7790 times)

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
Re: Edition 30 - No Compression
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2016, 03:06:14 pm »
Some EA113 KO4 engines (ED30, S3 etc) had weak valve springs and there was a VW TSB for it, so tell your mechanic to check the coloured bands on the springs.  If they are white and yellow, they need replacing for the uprated ones.

Burned out valves doesn't normally happen on standard cars though.  Weird.

Yep, do all of that whilst you're there.  Are you getting a brand new head, or a used one?  If the latter, make sure you clean out the intake valves / ports.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline RMK87

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2016, 01:43:35 pm »
I had the chain kit replaced and head refurbished. During this time the starter motor and MAF went too but not sure if this is linked at all. My belts were changed the month before so were practically new

Just be careful with the hpfp. The bolts and threads are crap so when re assembling its important to do it properly.

Offline norman1979

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2016, 05:47:36 pm »
I replaced the manifold also. Came out with a £1200 bill.

You got a stonking deal for £700 @RMK87. The parts alone come to £600ish.

Offline norman1979

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2016, 05:53:32 pm »
Some EA113 KO4 engines (ED30, S3 etc) had weak valve springs and there was a VW TSB for it, so tell your mechanic to check the coloured bands on the springs.  If they are white and yellow, they need replacing for the uprated ones.

Burned out valves doesn't normally happen on standard cars though.  Weird.

Yep, do all of that whilst you're there.  Are you getting a brand new head, or a used one?  If the latter, make sure you clean out the intake valves / ports.

Got a used head along with another inlet manifold which was already cleaned. I didnt get a chance to check the springs as he fixed it so quickly. Car was ready to pick up the next day.

Drives awesome now. Now it lights up the front wheels. I know the front tyres have some ditch finders on there but Im still surprised with it