Make a donation

Author Topic: Car Dead help needed...  (Read 5682 times)

Offline cuprak1

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
  • Cupra k1 - 360 bhp/360 ft-lbs
    • London web design
Car Dead help needed...
« on: January 26, 2010, 12:23:27 pm »
Ok, bascailly I was going along the motorway, quite high revs, then engine light started to flash, car was just burbling when i put my foot on the gas..

pulled over, cylinder 4 missfire was the code, took our the coil and cylinder 4 was full with water.

white smoke out the back ... im thinking its the head gaskett .. or could water of gotten in some other way?

car drives at low speeds but when coming on boost is just doesnt boost up.

i havn't driven it since..

just wondering basically given my brief description anyone could assist in narrowing down the problem?

Its going into seat in a week or so. Just hope there is no other damage.

any ideas or help ?

cheers

SpeedStats iPhone app  - AVAILABLE NOW!
---------------------------------------
View my Cupra k1 project thread here! 360is

Offline snapey

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
Re: Car Dead help needed...
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 12:37:04 pm »
How was the coolant level looking? Or how is it looking....
If you have to ask why, you'll never understand.

Offline vRStu

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 12:37:55 pm »
Do you mean water in the cylinder or water on top of the spark plug in the coil pack chamber?

Just in the coil pack chamber then dry it out - may blow compressed air in.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 12:41:06 pm »
Did you find out what the fuel leak was etc after the 'jump'??
APR Stage III TT-RS - 11.37 1/4 mile - 2.82 0-60 MPH

Build thread http://www.vagoc.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=3128

Offline cuprak1

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • London web design
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 12:48:33 pm »
snap - im loosing coolant somwhere somehow, it has defo gone down and exhaust smoking.

vt - water in chamber on top of spark plug i sucked it out with a straw (yum) and im leaving it to dry for a few days before i get a new coil in there and start it up for the 1st time.

the strange thing is trying to work out why it wont come on  boost? and how and why the water got in there?

jon - nope no more fuel issues since sump was replaced maybe your thinking of other k1

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 12:56:35 pm »
snap - im loosing coolant somwhere somehow, it has defo gone down and exhaust smoking.

vt - water in chamber on top of spark plug i sucked it out with a straw (yum) and im leaving it to dry for a few days before i get a new coil in there and start it up for the 1st time.

the strange thing is trying to work out why it wont come on  boost? and how and why the water got in there?

jon - nope no more fuel issues since sump was replaced maybe your thinking of other k1

Ohh sorry mate, yeah must be, I know your user names are pretty close..

Hmm, I would say do all the normal bits, check for codes etc.. Does it pull as normal before it comes on boost?? Also, pull off the PCV recirc hose (and block off the inlet manifold) and check for excessive vapor from the PCV

Does the smoke have a scent to it? And is it water smoke (ie very white??)

Offline cuprak1

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • London web design
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 12:59:49 pm »

Hmm, I would say do all the normal bits, check for codes etc.. Does it pull as normal before it comes on boost?? Also, pull off the PCV recirc hose (and block off the inlet manifold) and check for excessive vapor from the PCV

no more fault codes come up other than the misfire which was caused by the water..

car pulls fine untill turbo spools and then just doesnt pull anymore but i havnt tried driving it since clearing out the water etc...

ill tru the pcv and yes smoke is white and just chugs out when i start it (again though this was before i cleared out the water)

so ill leave for a few more days to dry and need to work out how water got in there, if its the head gasket gone what other damage and repair bills can i be expected to pay?

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 01:10:16 pm »

no more fault codes come up other than the misfire which was caused by the water..

car pulls fine untill turbo spools and then just doesnt pull anymore but i havnt tried driving it since clearing out the water etc...

ill tru the pcv and yes smoke is white and just chugs out when i start it (again though this was before i cleared out the water)

so ill leave for a few more days to dry and need to work out how water got in there, if its the head gasket gone what other damage and repair bills can i be expected to pay?

Sounds like head gasket really.. Unless there is some way the water gallerys in the turbo have fractured and its pulled in water from the intake side of the turbo!? I dont know if thats really very possible though..

Head gasket is a couple of days work, although you should skim the head at the same time really but thats only £50 or so.. I would say £400 in labour and another £100 or so in parts..

Offline cuprak1

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • London web design
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 01:14:53 pm »

Sounds like head gasket really.. Unless there is some way the water gallerys in the turbo have fractured and its pulled in water from the intake side of the turbo!? I dont know if thats really very possible though..

Head gasket is a couple of days work, although you should skim the head at the same time really but thats only £50 or so.. I would say £400 in labour and another £100 or so in parts..

Good theory, could be true its been wet lately and all that melted snow had to go somewhere lol but its lost coolant yes and car hasnt really felt like its pulling right lately.

Its the ballache of seat trying to diagnose the problem for a few days then charging me for the pleasure.

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2010, 05:35:38 pm »
belsy got his headgasket done by AMD recently, you might wanna give him a call

Offline Gene Hunt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 61
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2010, 06:15:50 pm »
Has the coolant got the gungy mayo look to it ?, if so i would say headgasket has gone.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 07:28:50 pm by Gene Hunt »
ED35. Standard factory condition.

Offline cuprak1

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • London web design
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2010, 09:53:36 am »
Coolant looks ok and no traces of mayo etc, the car is only a year old lol its bad if HG goes even with increased boost etc but lets hope seat can narrow it down first..

what at the warantee stipulations here, like will i have to pay for the time they spend trying to locate the problem? etc

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2010, 10:08:54 am »
Depends very much on your dealer.  Some may very well tell you they'll not touch it at all if they realise it's running 360hp  :evilgrin:
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline joesgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
  • Eat my sick, Eat my sick.
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2010, 04:47:48 pm »
id get the map and everything else taken off before seat even look at it, i remember a lad broke his engine and seat wouldnt touch it as it had been mapped.  :scared:

also car has probably gone into limp mode to protect the turbo from damage. thats why no boost.  :smiley:

If you need any games consoles or games, accessories, etc etc, PM me for my best price,

Offline gillm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 14
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2010, 09:13:51 pm »
do a compression test . or leak down test
west tuned gt28 @ 340hp