Make a donation

Author Topic: Eibach pro kit vs sportline kit help!!!  (Read 20176 times)

Offline Duffmeister

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 1
Eibach pro kit vs sportline kit help!!!
« on: December 27, 2016, 05:30:51 pm »
I'm due to have the sportline kit fit tomorrow but the more i read the more I'm confused.
Apparently the pro drops 20mm
The sportline depending what you read drops between 25 - 30 - 50!!
Does anybody have the definitive answer?

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
Re: Eibach pro kit vs sportline kit help!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2016, 05:49:32 pm »
In this country you can only get one kit for the GTI. It drops the GTI by 25-30mm. It's the equivalent of the Sportline kit, that would drop other models (that aren't factory lowered by 15mm) by up to 50mm.

A Pro kit, if you could even get one in the UK, would hardly lower a GTI. But would lower a low end mk5 by 20mm. The US GTIs come from the factory a bit higher than UK GTIs. Canadian ones even higher iirc. Maybe that's where the apparent choice is valid.

Both the Eibach and H&R GTI springs drop by roughly the same amount. And there's only really one type of each.

That's my take on it anyway... Not saying it's definitive but see what others say!

And if you do find some 50mm springs for a UK GTI, give me a shout. Might be worth a punt with some VWR/Bilstein shocks instead of coilovers - my current plan.

Offline Duffmeister

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2016, 01:19:20 pm »
Not a happy bunny!!!
Turns out my rear springs were broken and the sport line kit doesn't lower the rear at all but lowers the front over 40mm straight off the ramps and will obviously drop more in time. So now I'm in the position I can't put my old springs back on and the car looks like sh*t and jumps all over the road on the sport line kit, I've spoken to the seller who was addament it would lower 20mm evenly, he says as above Eibach Don t list the pro kit  for UK but is contacting them to sort this out.
I honestly wish I hadn't botherd at all.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 02:07:36 pm by Duffmeister »

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2016, 03:17:50 pm »
Not a happy bunny!!!
Turns out my rear springs were broken and the sport line kit doesn't lower the rear at all but lowers the front over 40mm straight off the ramps and will obviously drop more in time. So now I'm in the position I can't put my old springs back on and the car looks like sh*t and jumps all over the road on the sport line kit, I've spoken to the seller who was addament it would lower 20mm evenly, he says as above Eibach Don t list the pro kit  for UK but is contacting them to sort this out.
I honestly wish I hadn't botherd at all.
Something aint right there pal. So it doesn't sit anything like the cars on here on Eibachs? Should be more like 25-30mm all round.

Offline Duffmeister

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2016, 10:34:45 pm »
In a word no,  the front standard (18" monza) are under the arch now and will only drop more over time.
The rear hasn't altered from standard. It looks awful. To drive is terrible, bouncy on standard shocks on 62'000 miles.
Cornering left I can hear catching but it's so low I can't see where from.
Very poor in my opinion, I've had Eibach pro kit fit on a previous bmw e46 m3, 650I sport and 540I sport with perfect results every time. I can't understand why on a golf it's so wrong. I specifically asked for the pro kit again but was told it wasn't available for the gti but sport line was and that lowers by 20mm and 20mm only. (a supplier/sponsor on another mainstream mk5 gti forum)
Even on this forum a mkv golf gti forum in the mods section it shows pro kit as a mod for the gti and are available freely on various sellers on the web. I'm waiting for a response from the seller but I've paid for springs and fitting now so if replacements are coming my way am I within my rights for them changing FOC ?  HELP!!!

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2016, 10:54:32 pm »
In a word no,  the front standard (18" monza) are under the arch now and will only drop more over time.
The rear hasn't altered from standard. It looks awful. To drive is terrible, bouncy on standard shocks on 62'000 miles.
Cornering left I can hear catching but it's so low I can't see where from.
Very poor in my opinion, I've had Eibach pro kit fit on a previous bmw e46 m3, 650I sport and 540I sport with perfect results every time. I can't understand why on a golf it's so wrong. I specifically asked for the pro kit again but was told it wasn't available for the gti but sport line was and that lowers by 20mm and 20mm only. (a supplier/sponsor on another mainstream mk5 gti forum)
Even on this forum a mkv golf gti forum in the mods section it shows pro kit as a mod for the gti and are available freely on various sellers on the web. I'm waiting for a response from the seller but I've paid for springs and fitting now so if replacements are coming my way am I within my rights for them changing FOC ?  HELP!!!
I'd hope they'd play ball and offer you something towards the cost of all this. The springs are obviously wrong. Try and get a part number off them if you can, front and back, before they come off the car. That'll be proof enough that what you've been sold isn't fit for purpose. Then ring them, tell them how they've f*cked up, and that you only budgeted for one spring change, not two, and it's their error causing the cost, so why should you pay.

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2016, 11:33:56 pm »
This is my Ed. 30 with Eibach Sportlines and OEM dampers:

And now it has H&R -30 mm with Koni Sport dampers:

You can check the European Eibach website to see what's the correct part number of the Sportlines for GTI (only two options: Manual or DSG).

AJP explained well, there are no Eibach Pro-Kits for GTI or R32, only for other less sporty models. There are for 2.0 FSI which I think online stores sell for GTI, which isn't correct.

Here's my GT Sport 1.9 TDI with Eibach Pro-Kits and Koni FSD dampers:

Offline Duffmeister

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2016, 08:27:41 am »
Has any body got vw racing springs?

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2016, 08:37:02 am »
There are a few cars in the forum with them, I think. For what you're looking for they might be the best option. :wink:

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2020, 05:00:19 pm »
Nope...but I saw this some months ago in a thread discussing if Eibach Pro and VWR springs are the same rate of spring.
It appears Eibach makes, or may make, the springs for VW Racingline...

« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 07:55:27 pm by ROH ECHT »
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline Octoparrot

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 99
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2020, 10:07:21 pm »

I have, a nice even drop all round, sounds definitely like the wrong springs have been fitted to yours.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2021, 12:43:30 am »
Nope...but I saw this some months ago in a thread discussing if Eibach Pro and VWR springs are the same rate of spring.
It appears Eibach makes, or may make, the springs for VW Racingline...

Doesn't matter who makes them because when matched to Racingline's dampers, you get horrific understeer and unpredictable cornering.  Always use linear rate springs.  Progressive rate springs are horrible.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2021, 04:42:15 pm »
  Always use linear rate springs.  Progressive rate springs are horrible.
I planned to switch to Neuspeed Race Springs within a month...but I need to confirm they are not progressive. ECS has a picture for them but are showing them as progressive. Neuspeed's site shows them being linear. So I am placing a call next week to Neuspeed to ask who's picture is correct.

Although neither site actually shows 55.10.92...they show 55.50.01(Neuspeed site) and 55.50.04(ECS site). So yeah, a phone call to Neuspeed will be made before I place an order;
Neuspeed; https://neuspeed.com/products/neuspeed-race-springs-kit-551092

ECS; https://www.ecstuning.com/b-neuspeed-parts/race-springs-set/55.10.92~neu/
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 04:43:27 pm by ROH ECHT »
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2021, 06:57:18 am »
After speaking with Whiteline for about an hour, over a week ago, I changed my mind and mounted Whiteline WSK-VWN002 springs. The front springs are linear and their rate is 179 lb/inch...the rear springs are progressive and their rate is 230 lb/inch. With their lighter front rate...I also softened the rear ARB.

After getting the rear springs installed, I went to do the front left...and I forgot to place the jack under the brake disc when I used the spindle spreader. Then it dropped and pulled out the axle spline from the wheel hub. So this morning I had to tend with that because it wouldn't move in 'D' or 'R' yesterday evening. But, I got the axle back together and went for a gentle drive....20 miles or so.

Immediately I notice the comfort and front steering response. The front springs being lower rate than the rear, and softening the rear ARB, seem to have done something positive with the understeer. My last set were too firm a rate up front. And with the rear ARB set to firm and the front ARB set to soft...it still would slightly push when pushed a bit hard through the corners. I still need to push it harder, a number of times, to finally determine if the tracking is balanced. I will need to re-examine tracking once I mount the next set of tires, because I plan to go 235/40-18 for the next set. I couldn't run that size before with the drop (24" FTG) I had and these wheels. It is now at 25-1/4' FTG...which may or may not settle and drop a bit more. I have already been told it doesn't look cool anymore...but I couldn't care less. So far it is an improvement.

As always...thanks Pudding, for your input.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 07:06:12 am by ROH ECHT »

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2021, 09:27:47 pm »
Don't forget the rear springs are inboard, so the rates don't quite work the same way as the fronts.  The leverage is different. 

On older, solid rear axle'd VWs the rates were always softer than the front to account for the stiffness of the beam, but on independent rear axles where the fulcrum point of the spring is half way along the control arm, it's not unusual to see a higher rate to compensate.

Anyway, I'm glad you've noticed a change/improvement.  It's good to experiment with spring/damper rates and dial it in to exactly how you want it, rather than just buying kit X, Y or Z and just putting up with it  :happy2:

My standard settings for a fast road FWD VW are as follows:

Front dampers = 50%
Front ARB = Mid setting.
Rear dampers = 25%
Rear ARB = Highest setting.

That works very well with no nasty mid-corner surprises  :happy2:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D