Make a donation

Author Topic: Reflex Silver - Family GTI Project  (Read 1504 times)

Offline Golf_is_not_a_sport

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Reflex Silver - Family GTI Project
« on: November 17, 2021, 05:34:42 pm »
Here she is:

That's right, she's a beaut - Bought in lockdown when I no longer needed a new car that would certainly get me from A-B every day, whilst I settled into my work from home cave, i explored the mid-00's hot hatches, between this and a CTR, i happened to find this example from a family friend, full VW service history and well loved from a part time brit, 2 months of the year here, 10 in god knows where. Anyway, i feel like it's a good'un.

What have I done in the first 3 months?
- Replaced all brake discs and pads
- Replaced a door lock module
- Just managed to deal with zero A/C whilst the summer died away
- Added some A4 Exhaust Tips
- Broke both transponders in my keys trying to make the cases look good (that was a nice £120 "cheap job")
- Various touch-ups

What's to come?
- Get it a little lower
- Change all the tyres to something a little more, uh premium and stickier.. (sunrise, pingpong, phoenix and scatman on each corner, or names to that effect anyway)
- Then change the headunit for something a little more, bluetooth'y

And no idea what else next, it's basically a second car that i can mess around with a little, but still need to appear like I've got a toddler and turn up to rugby-tots without a loud exhaust.. So we shall see! Probably a remap at some stage.. and maybe some other cool stuff?

You all seem like a decent bunch, i've enjoyed lurking so far - and will add my 2 Pence if i find somewhere to say it, and will absolutely take all the advice out there?

Finally, can anyone guess where I took the photo?

Offline Dazie00

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
    • Email
Re: Reflex Silver - Family GTI Project
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2021, 08:24:56 pm »
Good luck with the new project, bought a silver 5 dr myself this year, all sounds familiar, new brakes and stereo!!!

Offline JoshB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2021, 01:54:14 pm »
Looks a nice example, with an awesome tyre selection...
I remember going to view an Audi TTS a couple of years ago and it was advertised with a plus point that it had “4 new tyres with receipts”. They were £50 a corner... on a 245/40/20...
I actually laughed at the tyres when I saw them.

I’d see how you get on with it first before going a little lower. If the shocks are getting on in years then fitting lowering springs will trash the ride. Look for a full kit if you’re set on it but honestly, an original GTi is a great handling car.
Getting too old for this...

Offline Acekid

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2021, 04:55:30 pm »
Looks like a good project!
   Plenty of options out there for a better stereo, I did put a Pioneer S820dab (now up for sale) unit in, but already changed to a Chinese rns510 lookalike, really good actually for the price, not quite as good sound as the Pioneer, but looks more OEM.

Offline Golf_is_not_a_sport

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2021, 02:45:20 pm »
So with many thanks to Mr Brian_Badonde (boh!!) We are now a little lower..

..But what a pain in the crack that was, lots of seizures here and there - but we finally got there and here she is:

I made the controversial decision to keep the standard dampers, this is a very hardly used car and won't be clocking up the miles anytime soon, and i couldn't justify the entire set-up cost to Mrs Golf_is_not_a_sport, so decided i'll wait for some surprising creaks and noises which will obviously force my hand to an upgrade..

Anyway, i think it looks great - Feels good, and the 17's finally look like they're at home.

..Next up, some good rubber and a new front wing, sans-rust.