Make a donation

Author Topic: clutch slip?  (Read 6521 times)

Phil Mcavity

Re: clutch slip?
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2008, 02:23:59 pm »
clutch needed by the sounds of it,thats a third more power going through that clutch over and above standard. i guess the torque must be pretty high aswell. Uprated clutch needed.

Offline jonnyc

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2008, 04:15:10 pm »
Its not really the clutches fault IMO, the standard DMF is sh*t and because of the design causes the clutch to wear prematurely when running high torque..

Go with a new DMF and a sachs clutch kit, thats what I did on the S3, about £1400 fitted  :happy2:
APR Stage III TT-RS - 11.37 1/4 mile - 2.82 0-60 MPH

Build thread http://www.vagoc.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=3128

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2008, 10:05:47 pm »
^^^^

What's a DMF, please?

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline billyboy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
  • Billy lar
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2008, 10:10:59 pm »
^^^^

What's a DMF, please?
my guess- dual mass flywheel ?

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2008, 10:18:25 pm »
^^^^^ defo dual mass flywheel  :happy2:

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2008, 12:09:08 am »
x3. so luca, is it still hapenning?

Offline luca

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2008, 10:36:09 am »
Im not getting it at all now, if it does start slipping i would just put an oem one on the car as i will probably be swapping the car within this year. Usually keep my cars for aound 18 months then change them. Should be some nice cars coming out this year :smiley:. I want something with a bit more shout from the exhaut and a quick out of the box car :evilgrin:
No idea what i want yet but will probably be changng early winter time.
For now the car is fine and the only thing going on it is some new front boots next week and its in for its first service on monday.

Tornado red ED30, Revo stage 2, ITG Panel filter, 3" Blueflame turbo back exhaust, leon cupra front brakes, ecs dogbone mount, WALK kit, Eibach sportlines, Satin black Monza II's, VWR/sachs paddle clutch

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2008, 11:12:49 am »
The problem is if the clutch is slipping now and you dont put a new flywheel in it at the same time as replacing the clutch then your new clutch will make very little difference at all.. Especially if you put a standard clutch back in..

Most of the costs for the job are related to labour, so if you end up having to do it again (IMO highly likely) within the year, then its going to cost you way more than it would have if you have done it first time.. Plus the Sachs clutch kit is pretty much the same cost of an OEM unit..

I would say either try and get one on warranty or go the whole hog and you wont have to worry about it again..

Offline luca

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2008, 09:26:53 pm »
thanks for the info jonny. the clutch isnt slipping at all now. will take it to ads when i get chance in the new year and get dave to give the car a full healthcheck and get some vag com done to see the car is running nice for santa pod.

Tornado red ED30, Revo stage 2, ITG Panel filter, 3" Blueflame turbo back exhaust, leon cupra front brakes, ecs dogbone mount, WALK kit, Eibach sportlines, Satin black Monza II's, VWR/sachs paddle clutch

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2008, 05:36:16 pm »
With the cold weather be sure that you really give the car time to warm up, clutch and gearbox included..

Can take up to 20mins of driving for everything to come up to full temperature.. Sure you do anyways but worth baring in mind..

A cold clutch will slip pretty easily, and the engine will be making more boost than ever in these conditions, that combined with doing a pull into the spool of the turbo in 6th will give the clutch a really hard time..  :happy2: