Make a donation

Author Topic: Tomble22 - 2007 Graphite Blue GTI  (Read 2737 times)

Offline Tomble22

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 0
Tomble22 - 2007 Graphite Blue GTI
« on: February 23, 2017, 11:23:20 am »
Hi all,

I've been away from GTI's for a while since i sold my old Steel Grey GTI in order to fund an R32 purchase after having always wanted one:

My old GTI

My old R32

After getting the R32, i realised how good the GTI was/is. I really didn't get on with the R32 at all and after having wanted one for so long, was a huge disappointment. A few other things have followed since:

2007 BMW 320d M Sport
2007 Honda Civic Type R
2007 Audi A3 2.0 TDI

But i just couldn't settle with any of them, so i was back on the hunt for another GTI, and i found a beaut!!

A 2007 Golf GTI with the DSG box in Graphite Blue!! Has done a few miles but has a complete service history, cambelt was done 1,500 miles ago and DSG service was done in December and has been done at VW intervals.

Has a nice list of options including xenons, heated leather, 18 inch monzas (which have been freshly powdercoated), MFD2, highline display, MFSW, parking sensors and ipod connection.

I bought the car off a chap who bought it last year from a local prestige dealer and they had done a huge amount of prep work prior to sale, the paintwork is absolutely immaculate and the interior looks like it has done half the actual mileage.

I wasn't 100% on the colour before i went to see it but it's absoutely stunning in person.

All in all, very very pleased to be back in a GTI and the DSG box is superb, very easy to cruise around in and superb when pushing on. Will certainly do until i can put an order in for a MK7.5/8 or whatever is around in a couple of years time.

Have bought a couple of bits for it so far, panel filter, R8 coils and stuck some wind defelectors on. May look at a Powervalve this year but won't be doing too much else. Got a few cleaning bits coming this week so will be giving it a good clean and sealant at the weekend and will get some more pictures up.

Thanks for looking!!

Tom

Offline Vish8895

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
Re: Tomble22 - 2007 Graphite Blue GTI
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 11:50:58 am »
Very nice looking motor!

I am in a similar boat, I had a stage 2 Mk5 GTi and it was everything I had hoped and more!

I then had a few cars and am now looking for another MK5 GTI. I toyed with the idea of a FN2 Type R and even a Nissan 350z but something about the golf draws me in.

Out of interest, what mileage has it got? I am limiting my search to under 80K but know in the back of my mind cars with 80k+ will be just as reliable and worthwhile, providing the maintenance history of course.

Offline Tomble22

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 12:07:25 pm »
Hi Vish,

This one is on 112k. My previous grey one was on 85k and this one feels tighter and less noisy etc than the grey one to be honest. As long as it's been looked after, serviced as per VW intervals i don't think you can go far wrong. I was a little peturbed by the mileage but as soon as i saw the condition of it and how it had been looked after i was sold.

Don't get a Civic Type R, worst car i've had (and this GTI is my 35th!!). Worst thing about it was the ride, granted mine had the optional 19 inch wheels but it was absolutely terrible!!

Offline Vish8895

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 01:35:57 pm »
That's is surprising to hear it feels better than your lower mileage one, but like you said its all about how they've been maintained.

How do you find DSG? I was a die hard manual guy until my latest car, now I'm quite happy pottering around in an auto. I wan't DSG though for those supposed "8ms" gear changes!

Offline Tomble22

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 02:38:37 pm »
To be honest, i wasn't 100% set on a DSG one. My old GTI was a manual and i loved that but in the interim i had the BMW 320d which was an auto and really enjoyed the ease of town driving etc. I also do a fair few miles for work and the DSG makes it so much easier.

When pushing on it's not quite as involving, but is just as fast and is good fun. The chassis is still as good which makes the driving experience really.

I can imagine there are a fair few higher mileage dogs around mind you, it is all down to care/maintenance.

Offline prp74

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 37
  • -Receive: 126
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 07:37:47 pm »
Nice spec motor, from another graphite blue owner  :happy2:
mk5 Graphite Blue GTI - Leathers, Xenons, MFD2, PDC, Boot Pop - SOLD
mk7 Pure White GTI - Performance Pack, Xenons, DSG, Leathers, Pro Nav, Dynaudio, Self Park, Keyless, 18" OZ Ultraleggera