Make a donation

Author Topic: New Passat requires sat nav, ipod connection and handsfree kit in one unit!  (Read 3046 times)

Offline iainalpine

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Hi guys, not posted on the forum for ages as have started new job with Bosch automotive so not sitting in front of pc teaching anymore.
New company car should be with me in the next few days. Its a bottom of the line Passat so i am looking to fit a new headunit that has satnav, ipod connection and handsfree fitted to it.
What do you guys suggest i go for and where would the best place be to get it?

thanks in advance

Iain
2006 MKV GTI, DSG, Stg2 Revo map, VWR front splitter, KWv3's, Eibach rollbars, Walk kit, Carbonio induction kit, Full Milltek exhaust system, Forge FMIC

Offline SteveP

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
Hi Ian,

Welcome back, what's your budget???

Offline iainalpine

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
Hi Steve

Looks like it has been busy on here.

Think im looking at around £700, Just really want the right thing for the job. I have an Alpine w202 in the golf running everything im looking for (except nav) but if i take it out she will kill me. Still cant believe she is driving about in my lovely car (with map off  :grin:).

what are peoples thoughts on the Zenec 2010 http://www.zenec.com/index.php?id=335&L=1

Iain
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 09:40:17 pm by iainalpine »
2006 MKV GTI, DSG, Stg2 Revo map, VWR front splitter, KWv3's, Eibach rollbars, Walk kit, Carbonio induction kit, Full Milltek exhaust system, Forge FMIC

Offline Rob GTI

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
I had the previous version of that in my Leon. It has more functionality than a RNS510 for sure but the interfaces are rubbish (although I think they are improved with the new one you are looking at.) Also the tuner performance and BT were rubbish but again I'm not sure if this has been improved with the newer model.

GTI Edition 30 No. 907, 3 door, Black. (Now Sold)

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
IMHO I would steer clear of Win CE based stuff like that.

For me it has to be OEM FTW  :innocent:

RNS-510 Touchscreen Sat Nav with VW MDI & OEM Bluetooth, will be over £700 but is one of the best setup's on the market  :happy2:

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
I think RNS510 and OEM BT as Steve says is the way forward, could be done for a little over £700 and will remove the immediate need for MDI with internal HD and SD Support.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline iainalpine

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
Thanks for the reply guys. wgat is the MDI?

Where would you suggest to go for the 510 and its add-ons?

thanks

Iain

Offline DanoGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 3
    • DA Productions
I'm gonna put a fly in the ointment and say the Pioneer F900bt or F910bt. MUCH cheaper and you've got the options for putting subs and amps onto it.

The Kenwood is roughly the same price.

The Pioneers have built in GPS/Satnav, BT, and a GOOD ipod interface.

The advantage of the RNS is purely one of OEM looks (imho) - the HD transfer of mp3s etc is good, but nothing that can't be done by other options.

In the RNS's defence, I have yet to hear one - it may be VERY good, but I personally like the warmer sound of the Pioneer stuff.

Just IMHO :wink:

Dan

DA Productions

The fine art of diplomacy is telling somebody to "fcuk off" in such a way that they actually look forward to the journey....

Offline Lyons

• Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
I was close to buying the Kenwood DNX 5240BT last week as it was cheaper and more could be added easily to it than the RNS, but along with the OEMness of the RNS, the HDD was the major swaying factor- rules out the need for the ipod connection really. Then I just fitted a Parrot bluetooth kit for £50.

Offline k18dan

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 0
Pioneer F910bt!

On special for a limited time at caraudiosecurity.com - £799

Runs a 3D sat nav that zooms in when you approch junctions, plays CD's.. DVD's.. mp3's on a CD OR DVD... has USB lead running out the back for ipod/iphone/usb stick/usb hard drive.. SD car slot for updates/wallpapers/music/films ect.. can plug in any av source - playstations/digital cameras ect.. you can plug in a reversing camera that comes on when you reverse (or you can have it running all the time).. TMC traffic updates and re-routes.. Bluetooth phone connection.. the list is endless..

Pop down your local audio shop for a demo.. oh and worth noting the F910 BT and the F9110 BT are the same units however the 9110 has the VW skoda group fasica surround already fitted, however it retails for £1000, better off buying the 910 and the fasica kit for £30  :wink:

Offline iainalpine

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
You guys have got me thinking!

God knows what i will go for now.

Iain