Make a donation

Author Topic: RCD330 with apple car play  (Read 74353 times)

diego-d

Re: RCD330 with apple car play
« Reply #135 on: April 27, 2019, 01:31:33 am »
Hi Guys

Have read the entire thread and a lot of others too on this section but need a little help if you can provide it please?

My uncle is selling me his mk5 GTI it's 55 plate

He got loads of the extras including the sat nav screen but a few months ago it started scratching the disc and it doesn't work for satnav anymore so looking to replace it.

I use an android so would prefer something with android auto, the rcd330 looks good would you recomend that for me? Don't want spend a fortune, just something that does a good job.

There seems to be so many on Ali express, is it possible somone to post a link to one I should buy?

I also saw that instead of replacing the Cambus I could just order from Ali express the adaptor to make the 8 button steering wheel control work and that fixes the battery drain?

Is it as simple as buying those two things and giving it to a mechanic to install or can I do it myself relatively easily?

Thanks for your help and advice, sorry new to this and just a bit lost.

Did you ever get the new Canbus and if so how did you go about getting it programmed?

kharma45

« Reply #136 on: May 08, 2019, 11:16:12 pm »
Hi Guys

Have read the entire thread and a lot of others too on this section but need a little help if you can provide it please?

My uncle is selling me his mk5 GTI it's 55 plate

He got loads of the extras including the sat nav screen but a few months ago it started scratching the disc and it doesn't work for satnav anymore so looking to replace it.

I use an android so would prefer something with android auto, the rcd330 looks good would you recomend that for me? Don't want spend a fortune, just something that does a good job.

There seems to be so many on Ali express, is it possible somone to post a link to one I should buy?

I also saw that instead of replacing the Cambus I could just order from Ali express the adaptor to make the 8 button steering wheel control work and that fixes the battery drain?

Is it as simple as buying those two things and giving it to a mechanic to install or can I do it myself relatively easily?

Thanks for your help and advice, sorry new to this and just a bit lost.

Did you ever get the new Canbus and if so how did you go about getting it programmed?

Also curious to find out as well. Looking to upgrade my RNS 510 to the RCD 330. Considered ordering the canbus emulator but it seems on the mk5 it's not perfect. The arrow buttons on the MSFW when you try to scroll through the MFD end up changing the track on the radio at the same time. From looking about, I think that's the flaw with them unless someone knows of a way to get the MSFW to work with the RCD 330 properly?

Offline The Red Warrior

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 32
    • Email
« Reply #137 on: May 11, 2019, 12:41:37 am »
Upgrade the steering wheel to the mk6 MFSW.  :happy2:

kharma45

« Reply #138 on: May 12, 2019, 10:45:04 am »
Upgrade the steering wheel to the mk6 MFSW.  :happy2:

I think I’ll just stick to twisting the knob on the radio then lol

Offline RobC

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 20
    • Email
« Reply #139 on: June 06, 2019, 10:03:13 am »
Hi guys. If I buy one of the adapters to allow use of the Mk5 MFSW, does that mean I dont need to update the Steering Wheel Module? And is there any preference over the Desai or Noname models?

Offline The Red Warrior

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 32
    • Email
« Reply #140 on: June 07, 2019, 11:19:51 am »
Hi guys. If I buy one of the adapters to allow use of the Mk5 MFSW, does that mean I dont need to update the Steering Wheel Module? And is there any preference over the Desai or Noname models?

Yes, I think so. The steering wheel module is usually changed when upgrading to the mk6 steering wheel. Also, there is no mention of needing an upgraded steering wheel module on the seller’s sites selling the adaptor.

Most people seem to prefer the Noname version as it can have its software upgraded for free with some hacking software. Also, they tend to be the ones that have apple CarPlay and Android Auto.
I have the Desai. I don’t have Android Auto but as I’m an apple user I don’t really care. Desai have less bugs than the Noname but mine still has a few too. I’m happy enough with my choice and if I was buying another for another car I’m not sure which I’d get. Desai is cheaper generally though.

Offline RobC

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 20
    • Email
« Reply #141 on: June 07, 2019, 11:40:55 am »

Yes, I think so. The steering wheel module is usually changed when upgrading to the mk6 steering wheel. Also, there is no mention of needing an upgraded steering wheel module on the seller’s sites selling the adaptor.

Most people seem to prefer the Noname version as it can have its software upgraded for free with some hacking software. Also, they tend to be the ones that have apple CarPlay and Android Auto.
I have the Desai. I don’t have Android Auto but as I’m an apple user I don’t really care. Desai have less bugs than the Noname but mine still has a few too. I’m happy enough with my choice and if I was buying another for another car I’m not sure which I’d get. Desai is cheaper generally though.

Thanks. I was looking at the Noname for precisely that reason, the updatable Firmware. Some of the bugs are a deal breaker for me and so knowing people are working on them to iron them out is peace of mind.

Has anyone found a decent twin-Fakra adapter or is it still a case of just running one of them and putting up with not having AM reception for instance?

Offline f00glee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #142 on: June 07, 2019, 03:01:23 pm »
I bought one of these 6 months back. I sought out the "ReV E" version specifically as these have had all the bugs sorted already and no mucking about with firmware upgrades etc.

Wish I could give you some more details, but I have crap memory! All I know is this was the clear choice when I did a lot of researching. For the sake of ~£30 extra I figured a flawless system was much preferable!

6RF 035 187E was the part number.
Current:
Mk6 R, Tornado Red, 5-door, '13.
Previous:
Mk5 GTI, Tornado Red, 3-door, '06, R-tech Stage "1+"

Offline Joshy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #143 on: June 14, 2019, 08:41:16 am »
I've only recent just come across this thread and the RCD330. Tempted to swap my RNS510 out for one!
The nav on the 510 is good, but i don't use it. Google Maps is my go to on my phone, so having the Apple carplay sounds like it is something that would constantly get used!

I do have a few concerns / questions though.

1) My current RNS setup has the OEM Mk6 reversing camera installed, will this still work with the RCD330? I've not really seen much information concerning this.

2) I've read a lot about the MFSW controls not working, but do they only not work to change the radio station / song, or do they actually stop working all together? I rarely change the station or song using my steering wheel controls, but i do often swap through my menus!

Offline v4rley

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 104
« Reply #144 on: June 14, 2019, 11:04:10 am »
@Joshy

I was in the exact same situation as you. RNS510 with oem camera.

1) To retain the camera you need to use and adaptor to convert the oem AV to RGB. The general consensus online was a large drop in quality of the picture. So taking into account the cost of the converter I opted for a replacement camera selling my oem. The picture quality isn’t oem standard but imo it’s probably because it isn’t AV fed to the rcd330

2) not to sure as I fitted it all in one go, if your not bothered to adjust the radio I would be inclined to leave this adapter out. I have experienced issues of when trying to use the menus with the adapter fitted where when I press down it does it twice, I think this is because the emulator mimics what you press.

Offline Vick N

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #145 on: July 15, 2019, 07:58:21 am »
Hi guys,

My wife has a 2007 vw gt tdi sport 140. It hasn't got MFSW and she desperately requires a Bluetooth head unit for navigation and mobile phone connectivity.  :grin: :mad:

Could anyone share the exact model and source to purchase from as all this talk of coding modules is going over my head  :sad1:
Thank you

Vick

Offline Enzoxs

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
    • Email
« Reply #146 on: July 16, 2019, 04:54:27 am »
Hi all

Just bought a 2008 MK5 Golf with an rcd300 unit installed, looking to upgrade to something with bluetooth or maybe even car play in the near future as i'm currently having to use my mum's old tunecast and it's slowly killing me

Was wondering if I was to get an RCD330 Plus what other bits i'd need for it to work properly without battery drain and with some MFW functionality? Would be nice to be able to change songs from the steering wheel and operate the MFD separately, I have very few p's so watching my mpg readings fills me with great joy at times - does this adapter work fine with the MK5 steering wheel?

Also, is there any way I can use my iPod connector in the armrest for Carplay? not keen on having a wire dangling from the headunit

I'm considering an RCN210 as a stepping stone to an RCD330 to allow me to charge my phone whilst playing music  :smiley: would this work with the MFSW nicely?

thanks x x

Offline kpowell911

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #147 on: October 05, 2019, 02:47:37 pm »
Hello, wondering if you guys can help me.

I have a 2007 GTI and I want to buy an RCD330 in my car. I dont have steering wheel buttons so that isnt an issue. I am an iPhone user so want to use car play but not bothered about the other features to be honest. I just went reliable Apple Car Play and OEM looks on a budget!

Could anyone link me to what I need including the CAN GATEWAY

Thanks

Offline kpowell911

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #148 on: October 05, 2019, 03:48:25 pm »
Hello, wondering if you guys can help me.

I have a 2007 GTI and I want to buy an RCD330 in my car. I dont have steering wheel buttons so that isnt an issue. I am an iPhone user so want to use car play but not bothered about the other features to be honest. I just went reliable Apple Car Play and OEM looks on a budget!

Could anyone link me to what I need including the CAN GATEWAY

Thanks

Obviously, want the Can Gateway for the battery drain issue

Offline burtz

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
« Reply #149 on: May 08, 2020, 06:33:19 pm »
Hi,

I have found a RCD330 for sale on eBay but apparently you get battery drain when changing to these units. Does anyone know what can gateway I need to avoid this? I have no controls on the steering wheel, sat nav or rear camera if that helps