Make a donation

Author Topic: RCD330 with apple car play  (Read 74347 times)

Offline neilneddy

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
Re: RCD330 with apple car play
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2017, 10:03:12 pm »
Originally had 1K0 907 530 F gateway but after the battery drain started I updated to 1K0 907 530 AA which was £30 off ebay so not too bad.  :happy2:

Offline v4rley

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 104
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2017, 10:10:58 pm »
You got a MFSW or highlines clocks? Wondered if either were compatible with the unit?

Offline neilneddy

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2017, 05:44:21 pm »
Yes MFSW works fine, I have highline clocks in Red which don't show anything on the stereo side I believe the white highline clocks may work but as yet not known. Just trying to source some white clocks now.

Offline v4rley

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 104
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2017, 07:49:35 pm »
Thanks. Seriously tempted but got the oem rvc and don't think that's compatible  :sad1:

Offline c.grex

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2017, 07:57:10 pm »
No camera as yet, but the lead it comes with is a standard AV lead so my assumption would be any camera with AV out would work, but cant confirm that. I have attached the link of the unit I purchased below, carplay ready. Hope it helps.  :happy2:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/VW-6-5-MIB-6-5-RCD330-RCD330G-Plus-RCD510-RCN210-Car-Radio-No-Name-6RD/32780955682.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.Nka5Ae

What did you do about the radio antenna?

I have two leads in my car, but only one socket on the back of the radio. The adaptor that came with it is no good.

Offline neilneddy

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2017, 09:10:50 pm »
Thanks. Seriously tempted but got the oem rvc and don't think that's compatible  :sad1:

No problem I am looking at reverse cameras, may have a look at the MK6 OEM camera as I need to replace boot hatch emblem anyway, will let you know how it goes.

Offline neilneddy

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2017, 09:12:31 pm »
No camera as yet, but the lead it comes with is a standard AV lead so my assumption would be any camera with AV out would work, but cant confirm that. I have attached the link of the unit I purchased below, carplay ready. Hope it helps.  :happy2:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/VW-6-5-MIB-6-5-RCD330-RCD330G-Plus-RCD510-RCN210-Car-Radio-No-Name-6RD/32780955682.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.Nka5Ae

What did you do about the radio antenna?

I have two leads in my car, but only one socket on the back of the radio. The adaptor that came with it is no good.

The double fakra to single adaptor that came with my unit worked okay, otherwise maybe something like this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fakra-Aerial-Antenna-Adapter-Columbus/dp/B00I9XNDIQ/ref=pd_lpo_263_tr_t_3/253-0410252-5698115?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=XN36FZXTJA8ECK3NPD81

GTI-collector

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2017, 05:25:22 pm »
Looks like it fits in perfectly neilneddy! Any problems since you bought it?

I have a 2006 MK5 GTI with a MFSW and the highline clock; so pondering the RCD330, just not a 100% certain that with it I will lose functionality with the steering wheel controls or the highline display....

Offline neilneddy

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2017, 07:56:48 pm »

Looks like it fits in perfectly neilneddy! Any problems since you bought it?

I have a 2006 MK5 GTI with a MFSW and the highline clock; so pondering the RCD330, just not a 100% certain that with it I will lose functionality with the steering wheel controls or the highline display....

No problems other than the battery drain, but cured that with a new can gateway. As discussed before nothing showing stereo wise on my red highline clocks but I have a feeling it may work with white clocks but still cant confirm that. Steering Controls should be okay? Is it a MK5 oem MFSW?

Offline noopets

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2017, 09:55:37 pm »
Just installed mine tonight - the CarPlay doesn't seem to be working, it just shows baidu carlife or something. Any one any idea?

Also only connected one antenna cable as couldn't pop the other in so no radio but I'll look at that on Sunday when I have some more time. Overall the unit is really nice. Let's see if the battery is ok over the next few days though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline neilneddy

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2017, 08:06:26 am »
Just installed mine tonight - the CarPlay doesn't seem to be working, it just shows baidu carlife or something. Any one any idea?

Also only connected one antenna cable as couldn't pop the other in so no radio but I'll look at that on Sunday when I have some more time. Overall the unit is really nice. Let's see if the battery is ok over the next few days though

The only thing about carplay with my unit is that it had to be a genuine apple lightening cable in order to work.

Offline c.grex

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2017, 11:29:00 am »
Same here with carplay, I had to use a proper lighting cable.

I've had a quick mess with my RCD330 over the past few days and I'm more than happy with it. carplay/apple maps when going on a 70 mile round trip and it worked fine. Playing Mp3's from SD card fine. Bluetooth for phone calls works great, no issues with built in mic. streaming over Bluetooth works fine.

I'll install my camera next week and then post a video review.

The unit isn't prefect be any means, and I try and detail some of my niggles in my review (unfortunately some issues are firmware related) but it wouldn't put me off buying it again as it seems great value for money.

Offline c.grex

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2017, 02:49:41 pm »
Looks like there is a update for the CarPlay hacked units:
http://s.aliexpress.com/fMfIVji2

It looks to sort the button issues out (obvious the mute button is still there but now this works the CarPlay). But can't find it anywhere and the seller wants you to buy the radio and won't give the software / firmware out. Looks like it is version Y311 or 5321.

So anybody looking to buy, I'd get the above one.

Offline noopets

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2017, 03:23:57 pm »

The only thing about carplay with my unit is that it had to be a genuine apple lightening cable in order to work.

Got the radio working now but still no CarPlay. Tried my wife's iPhone and it works so I'm puzzled!

Can't fault the seller though he gets back quick with any answers..

Typical the new firmware version is out - might try and wangle it

Offline Ryan M

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2017, 08:38:16 pm »
The RCD330 looks like a great radio with lots of features but the one small thing I dislike about it is the lack of saving the station name into the preset area.
Is there a way to work around this and get it to save, or is it just something I would have to put up with?  :phew: