Make a donation

Author Topic: EVOMS engine cover help needed, please....  (Read 12598 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
EVOMS engine cover help needed, please....
« on: January 30, 2010, 07:04:20 pm »

As stokeballoon aka Quality Dave and others who know me will confirm, I'm useless when it comes to DIY or fiddling with car bits.

GTIjames very kindly gave me an EVOMS engine cover which is missing the fixing bolt(?) from the original kit and which also a previous owner has 'modified'. Providing I can learn which adhesive to use, I can repair the 'modification' by sticking on a washer to restore the hole in the ali sheet EVOMS cover in readiness for the bolt.

So, I'm using a stainless steel screw (threaded bolt) plus nut and washers. For those familiar with the EVOMS cover, it's the fixing point near the battery and it would help to know what the missing 'bolt' looks like.

The engine has a substantial bracket which the EVOMS uses, as does the ITG intake (for those who have one).

So, which heat resistant adhesive is recommended for stainless steel to aluminium? Or is welding practical?

What's the trick or tips for securing the EVOMS at the battery position? (The other side is easy)

Many Thanks for any help or suggestions  :drinking:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline gillm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 14
    • Email
Re: EVOMS engine cover help needed, please....
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 07:08:55 pm »
robin get some pics up . i can get you the glue you require if needed . it holds helicopters tougther so will be ok for you ! and will withstand a fair amount of heat
west tuned gt28 @ 340hp

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 07:20:17 pm »
^^^^
Thanks, Gill  :happy2:

I'll have to take some pics tomorrow. I could have come to your Sunday meet but I'm playing a gig.

Btw, for those who already have the EVOMS cover and the pain-in-the-butt re the MAF cable plus other adjacent hose, it's easy to modify and my pic will show how.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline gillm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 07:42:00 pm »
no worries mate i can post it to you if you like . or if you are around yeovil next weekend ? im away during week days so cant help till wekends
west tuned gt28 @ 340hp

Offline singh123

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 3
  • Seat Leon Cupra
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 10:07:49 am »
Hi Robin

i have the Evmos engine cover fitted when i had the ITG fitted, i used JB cold weld i got of ebay to stick the silver strip to the cover and its been fine, no movement even when the engine is hot after a hard drive.

i think the way the side bolt was fitted the bolt was fitted was the other way round so thebolt head was facing the engine and then tightend

here is a pic of mine

JB cold weld
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/JB-Weld-Industrial-Strength-Adhesive-J-B-Cold-Auto_W0QQitemZ180461769171QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Measuring_Tools_Levels?hash=item2a045c11d3
Seat Leon Cupra

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 11:19:56 am »
no worries mate i can post it to you if you like . or if you are around yeovil next weekend ? im away during week days so cant help till wekends

....Thanks, Gill - Yeovil is easy for me next weekend, daytime but any time to suit you. Will contact doing the week to arrange.

Offline gillm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 11:44:02 am »

....Thanks, Gill - Yeovil is easy for me next weekend, daytime but any time to suit you. Will contact doing the week to arrange.

daytime is fine . pm me in the week mate
west tuned gt28 @ 340hp

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 04:26:00 pm »

Right, I think I know what to do now - It just needs some ultra strong metal-to-metal adhesive, probably from Gill. Thanks for the JB Cold Weld tip, singh  :happy2: - Could be useful for something else one day.

Below is a pic of the destructed hole cut by a previous owner, but with a stainless washer to reform a hole. Hence my need for adhesive.

I can then bolt through the newly formed hole and attach to the bracket on the engine which is near the tubular intake and battery : -

I've had an idea which could make fixing the EVOMS engine cover much less of a hassle and will post details in a new How-To thread when mine is complete. The important advantage of the modification I'm doing is that it will make the EVOMS cover so much more easy to take on and off but it will be just as securely anchored.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 04:37:14 pm »

i think the way the side bolt was fitted the bolt was fitted was the other way round so thebolt head was facing the engine and then tightend

here is a pic of mine

....It looks almost impossible to me to access any nut or screw head for tightening/loosening on the engine side of the EVOMS cover, on the battery/passenger side. And a royal pain-in-the-butt at the very least. Doesn't your ITG intake use the same engine bracket?

If you liked the idea, singh, I think you could source a round Seat logo for your stock centre strip. I sourced an enamel blue and white VW badge.

As my carbon strip is so expensive I'm not going to cut off its fixing tabs but will instead drill into the EVOMS to receive the tabs. Here is a mock-up : -

« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 05:12:04 pm by RedRobin »

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010, 04:51:39 pm »
That should look the business once you have finished arsin about with it RR!  :happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2010, 05:10:59 pm »

That should look the business once you have finished arsin about with it RR!  :happy2:

.... :laugh:  Now you know why I don't do much DIY. Apart from limited knowledge about what I'm doing, I take a loooong time.

The EVOMS cover without a centre strip looks very WD (War Department) and plain but, to be fair, it has been designed to carry a centre strip - Well, half-designed as there are no slots for the tabs but the 'nose' is shaped for one.

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2010, 07:42:36 pm »
I think they look great! Just can't justify the expense atm!  :happy2:

Offline singh123

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Seat Leon Cupra
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2010, 08:33:21 pm »
Hi Robin

yes the ITG intake uses the side engine mount point to secure the intake, the way it was meant to be bolted was with the bolt coming into from the batter end and then the nut being tightened from the batter end, but because I couldn’t get my hard under the cover to do it that way I put the nut in from the engine side and the nut on the battery side, the mounting point o the ITG allowed for me to do this

I will take a picture for you tomorrow that will show this a bit better and more clearly

Yeah I have been looking on eBay for an S badge but couldn’t find anything, were did you get yours done from?
Seat Leon Cupra

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2010, 10:20:01 pm »
Hi Robin

yes the ITG intake uses the side engine mount point to secure the intake, the way it was meant to be bolted was with the bolt coming into from the batter end and then the nut being tightened from the batter end, but because I couldn’t get my hard under the cover to do it that way I put the nut in from the engine side and the nut on the battery side, the mounting point o the ITG allowed for me to do this

I will take a picture for you tomorrow that will show this a bit better and more clearly

Yeah I have been looking on eBay for an S badge but couldn’t find anything, were did you get yours done from?

....Yes, I don't know how anyone is able to manage to tighten anything from inside the EVOMS cover. Thanks for any pic.

The TTshop got my VW badge and I think it's from another VW vehicle. I suggest you ask a friendly Seat dealer if they know of such a part or even contact Seat UK (if such an organisation exits). You simply want a round Seat or Leon or Cupra badge sized anything between 60 to 70 mm diameter.

Have a look at these : - http://shop.ebay.co.uk/items/__seat+cupra+badge_W0QQ_dmdZ2?rvr_id=&crlp=1982245324_228459_228460&UA=M

« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 10:22:19 pm by RedRobin »

Offline singh123

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Seat Leon Cupra
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2010, 05:33:54 pm »
Hi Robin

I have taken some pictures sorry there not of best quality, i hope it makes it a bit clearer

Seat Leon Cupra