Make a donation

Author Topic: Stage 2+ on Friday  (Read 5596 times)

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
Re: Stage 2+ on Friday
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2017, 02:05:23 pm »
Only in a cramped dyno cell will an intercooler show a weakness.  On the open road with tons more airflow and plenty of heatsoak recovery time, it'll be fine.

The measured power is only for that particular set of conditions - I.e. a little room with only a fan for airflow.   Out on the road, things are very different.  More airflow and lower ambient temps.

Don't blindly follow the herd and bolt things on for the sake of it.  Get confirmation the S3 cooler is restrictive from proper testing first.  Stage 2+ turbo speeds kind of super heat the intercoolers anyway.   You'd be better off running a bigger turbo to make the same power from more cfm and less pressure, and therefore less heat.

Good luck for Friday  :happy2:   I'd be happy with anything over 350hp on these old engines and turbos  :smiley:
Thanks for the reply.

So what your saying is what power it makes on the dyno could be less than what it could put out on the open road?

Thanks i'm hoping this alongside the DSG remap should transform the car !

It's probably more accurate to say it has the 'potential' to make more power on the open road  :wink:

You'll probably make 360hp in the dyno cell if all is well.  Don't forget the guys who make 380 and more are usually running meth and much bigger welly coolers, and other mods...etc etc.   Do you think you would feel 20 more hp on top of 360?  You won't, so enjoy what you've got and your engine will last longer  :smiley:  Those who wring their engines out for the last hp tend to go home crying with broken ring lands  :grin:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Lucastheone92

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2017, 02:33:53 pm »
Only in a cramped dyno cell will an intercooler show a weakness.  On the open road with tons more airflow and plenty of heatsoak recovery time, it'll be fine.

The measured power is only for that particular set of conditions - I.e. a little room with only a fan for airflow.   Out on the road, things are very different.  More airflow and lower ambient temps.

Don't blindly follow the herd and bolt things on for the sake of it.  Get confirmation the S3 cooler is restrictive from proper testing first.  Stage 2+ turbo speeds kind of super heat the intercoolers anyway.   You'd be better off running a bigger turbo to make the same power from more cfm and less pressure, and therefore less heat.

Good luck for Friday  :happy2:   I'd be happy with anything over 350hp on these old engines and turbos  :smiley:
Thanks for the reply.

So what your saying is what power it makes on the dyno could be less than what it could put out on the open road?

It's probably more accurate to say it has the 'potential' to make more power on the open road  :wink:

You'll probably make 360hp in the dyno cell if all is well.  Don't forget the guys who make 380 and more are usually running meth and much bigger welly coolers, and other mods...etc etc.   Do you think you would feel 20 more hp on top of 360?  You won't, so enjoy what you've got and your engine will last longer  :smiley:  Those who wring their engines out for the last hp tend to go home crying with broken ring lands  :grin:
Yeah to be honest I'd rather have less power and more reliability but from what I've read 360hp is still pushing it on these engines!

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2017, 02:44:48 pm »

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah to be honest I'd rather have less power and more reliability but from what I've read 360hp is still pushing it on these engines!

It is! We are lucky VW made them pretty strong.  Even Stage 1 300hp is running it way past what VAG built it for, but we get away with it because OEM's testing = running it flat out at WOT for 24 hours.   The total amount of time we spend at WOT on the roads is tiny by comparison, so we live on plenty of borrowed time  :smiley:

350-360 is a very rapid road car indeed.  Anymore than that is just playing the numbers game and pretty pointless on FWD anyway, imo.   Might as well go big boy turbo and stick a snail onto an R32 and blow all the TFSI boys into the weeds  :grin:

Offline Paradox1

• Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 82
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2017, 02:55:51 pm »

Thanks for the reply.

It is! We are lucky VW made them pretty strong.  Even Stage 1 300hp is running it way past what VAG built it for, but we get away with it because OEM's testing = running it flat out at WOT for 24 hours.   The total amount of time we spend at WOT on the roads is tiny by comparison, so we live on plenty of borrowed time  :smiley:

350-360 is a very rapid road car indeed.  Anymore than that is just playing the numbers game and pretty pointless on FWD anyway, imo.   Might as well go big boy turbo and stick a snail onto an R32 and blow all the TFSI boys into the weeds  :grin:

Bloody hell @Pudding. about to send my turbo off for a hybrid and then you post this. lol dilemma haha

Offline Lucastheone92

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2017, 03:00:54 pm »

Thanks for the reply.

350-360 is a very rapid road car indeed.  Anymore than that is just playing the numbers game and pretty pointless on FWD anyway, imo.   Might as well go big boy turbo and stick a snail onto an R32 and blow all the TFSI boys into the weeds 
Haha i never knew that but thats pretty cool and good to know!

Yeah that's true I can admit that even 360 hp in the golf is going to be pointless unless perfect conditions. I probably should have fitted ALK and VWR springs before the remap !

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2017, 03:05:16 pm »

Thanks for the reply.

Bloody hell @Pudding. about to send my turbo off for a hybrid and then you post this. lol dilemma haha

:grin:

No carry on mate, R32 turbos are ridiculously expensive to build.   And you think tuned TFSIs drink petrol!?!!  :grin:   Turboed R32s probably drink more than a Bentley W12.

I need to get my hybrid on as well at some point, but I will practicing what I preach and not exceeding 360ish hp  :grin:

@Lucastheone92 The standard suspension is actually really good on Stage 1 to be fair, so WALKs and springs aren't essential just yet.   
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 03:07:26 pm by Pudding »

Offline Lucastheone92

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2017, 07:11:15 pm »
So today was the day and thought i'd post my results in case anyone was interested.

I managed to achieve 373bhp with 385.70LB

As you can imagine I'm more than happy with the results.

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2017, 07:23:51 pm »
Congrats! Should be really fun to drive. :drinking:

Offline Norfolk Ollie

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2017, 08:43:31 pm »
So today was the day and thought i'd post my results in case anyone was interested.

I managed to achieve 373bhp with 385.70LB

As you can imagine I'm more than happy with the results.

Holy smoke that's a right weapon you've got there! Go find some 'hot' hatches to destroy..

Offline Lucastheone92

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2017, 08:46:51 pm »
Cheers guys. Also sounds like Darth Vader under my bonnet.