Make a donation

Author Topic: Did I buy the wrong coil for my Car?  (Read 3248 times)

Offline GTi-Tecnix

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Did I buy the wrong coil for my Car?
« on: November 01, 2017, 01:01:31 am »
Hi. Need some advice here..

I purchased a single coil to replaced an existing damaged one- for my MK5 Golf DSG. I already have Audi R8 (red top) coils in my car.The one I recently purchased is ref: U5014 (NGK48041). The ones on my car do not have any writing on them and the one I purchased has these details marked on the top i.e. NGK part number.

The seller has now told me that this coil is not for my car and I'm now feeling confused and regrets buying it  :confused:..

The seller has said I need U5015( NGK48042) for my car instead which has black top

Can anyone shed some light on this and if it is the same coil currently in my car? I thought its the same as its red top coil.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 01:04:54 am by GTi-Tecnix »
Rapid Acceleration on a Slippery surface
Sounds like a MK5 GTI 💥👊🏽💯

Offline r5gtt

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
Re: Did I buy the wrong coil for my Car?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 01:39:49 am »
Can't read red  :doh:

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 07:04:16 am »
Same coil, different colour, hes just informing you the black one is the correct listing for your car

Unfortunately that's what happens when you buy aftermarket/pattern parts - there will always be slight differences. If the ones you have now do not have ANY writing or marking on them, they are most definitely not genuine coilpacks.
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline GTi-Tecnix

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2017, 02:58:29 pm »
The ones on my car came in genuine VW box. Now the question is will the NGK one I bought as aforementioned, go with my current ones?

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2017, 04:00:02 pm »
The ones on my car came in genuine VW box. Now the question is will the NGK one I bought as aforementioned, go with my current ones?
If you're having ignition problems, I feel bad for you son. Buy 4 R8s from Alex, and the job is done.

Offline GTi-Tecnix

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2017, 04:29:31 pm »
Had the coil problem but sorted luckily. Also, I already have Audi R8 red top coils on my car but just want to replace the one with what I bought. Just need to know if this one is the Audi R8 coil version?

Whose Alex BTW?

If you're having ignition problems, I feel bad for you son. Buy 4 R8s from Alex, and the job is done.
[/quote]

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2017, 06:42:47 pm »
you won't have any issues with the after market one

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2017, 10:21:56 am »
Had the coil problem but sorted luckily. Also, I already have Audi R8 red top coils on my car but just want to replace the one with what I bought. Just need to know if this one is the Audi R8 coil version?

Whose Alex BTW?

[/quote]Alex owns AKS Tuning. You can get 4 genuine R8 coils for 80 odd quid delivered.

There's some logic in doing all 4 in one go (just like plugs) but hopefully R5 is right and you won't have issues with the one you've bought.

Offline GTi-Tecnix

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2017, 02:26:00 pm »
Cheers bud!

Whose Alex BTW?

[/quote]Alex owns AKS Tuning. You can get 4 genuine R8 coils for 80 odd quid delivered.

There's some logic in doing all 4 in one go (just like plugs) but hopefully R5 is right and you won't have issues with the one you've bought.
[/quote]

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2017, 02:49:58 pm »
Never had an issue with replacing one coil pack on any car ever in my entire life of repairing cars so there won't be any issues replacing just the one however of l the coils are very old then that could lead to weak spark and very slight combustion differences which you'll probably not even notice but changing all four old and battered ones will most definitely improve performance which will be noticeable. Hope that makes sense  :signLOL: