Make a donation

Author Topic: TyrolSport rear turret brace (Stage 2 version)  (Read 12583 times)

Offline Dan_FR

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
Re: TyrolSport rear turret brace (Stage 2 version)
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2017, 10:16:12 am »
Catch: Yes, the rear seat securing catch bales appear to be what is providing the "added stiffness" for the diagonal. It will interesting to see if these relatively flimsy attachments distort when loaded in this plane. The video instructions seem to stress not to overtighten during installation I suspect, because you will be able to tear the catch bales off the shell fairly easily?

Exactly. Don't over tighten it and actually risk it being functional as you'll likely shear the mounting point as they were not designed this kind of lateral load.

Not convinced at all
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

willni

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2017, 10:28:06 am »
Catch: Yes, the rear seat securing catch bales appear to be what is providing the "added stiffness" for the diagonal. It will interesting to see if these relatively flimsy attachments distort when loaded in this plane. The video instructions seem to stress not to overtighten during installation I suspect, because you will be able to tear the catch bales off the shell fairly easily?

Exactly. Don't over tighten it and actually risk it being functional as you'll likely shear the mounting point as they were not designed this kind of lateral load.

Not convinced at all

Would it not be more a case of by leaving some flexibility it actually makes it stronger such as the way buildings are designed for earthquakes. Also realistically the strut won't be taking a lot of load since car is designed to take them already, so it's essentially just adding reinforcing the structure to help lower the amount of flex. If they were over tightened they would be pretty much pushing out the catches, anything over tightened becomes weaker essentially.

Offline grey golfster

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 79
  • -Receive: 34
  • Edition 30 # 993; Stage 2 n a bit....
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2017, 11:07:45 am »
I think Dan has got me....

My bad, sorry for not being clearer.

Bale..I mean the staple/loop /hoop hing that the seats latch on to. That flimsy bit of bent rod, that's probably spotted to the shell!

And as for the rear seats "adding stiffness"!?!   :stupid:  :signLOL:

willni

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2017, 11:15:26 am »
I think Dan has got me....

My bad, sorry for not being clearer.

Bale..I mean the staple/loop /hoop hing that the seats latch on to. That flimsy bit of bent rod, that's probably spotted to the shell!

And as for the rear seats "adding stiffness"!?!   :stupid:  :signLOL:

The shell's made up of spotwelds, stronger than you'd think, generally a weld is considered to be equal in strength of the surrounding (parent) material if welded correctly :wink: and indeed get a coat hanger and bend it round a block and hit it, it'll be less likely to move or bend.

Look at those back braces people lifting stuff wear it's just cloth but protects people and allows them to lift heavier.  :thinking:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2017, 12:13:00 pm »
Those hoops for the seat catches are a lot stronger than they look  :smiley:   I'm no automotive engineer, but I imagine they have to be strong enough to keep the seats locked in place during an impact, especially in a car with child seat fixings?
If I'm understanding the comments correctly, are we saying there's a risk the hoops could shear off under cornering loads?  I would be very surprised if that happened!

Anyway, time will tell I guess.  I totally get the skeptism, but for me as a hobbyist, I like playing around with stuff, whether it works or not, and whether it's good value for money or not  :smiley:  We all have guilty pleasures.  Mine is cars, which unfortunately costs a f'ck ton of money which ever way you cut it.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline dreadaccind

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
TyrolSport rear turret brace Stage 2 version
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2018, 01:59:03 pm »
Cant seem to find any info on the Blackwing Fork Brace on eBay or by Googling it.
Can anyone provide a website or other info on them?
Thanks,
Larry in East China Mi.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2018, 09:27:56 am »
I think you’ve come to the wrong place  :grin:

Offline Rossimac

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 78
  • -Receive: 33
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,90767.0.html
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2018, 12:05:55 pm »
What is with all of these random accounts posting seemingly computer-generated responses that are vehicle related but are so far from the mark!

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2018, 01:03:37 pm »
Yeah, he/she/it is exhuming old threads to ask daft questions.  Need a mod to block the account!

Offline Rossimac

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 78
  • -Receive: 33
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,90767.0.html
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2018, 01:54:32 pm »
Yeah, he/she/it is exhuming old threads to ask daft questions.  Need a mod to block the account!

All the posts are from other random forums! Goldwing / Delorean / R32! So daft

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2018, 08:50:18 pm »
All sorted!