Make a donation

Author Topic: Exhaust help/advice  (Read 1599 times)

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 16
Exhaust help/advice
« on: June 25, 2021, 11:30:19 am »
Hey Guys,
Playing with the ED30 and had a STG2 map done by my pal who owns Surrey Tuning. All thats been altered is the OEM cat for a full de-cat. Got 332hp, 335 lbs-ft TQ Pretty impressive as still got standard HPFP, air box & Exhaust....So yesterday i decided to do a resonator box delete and popped a straight pipe on, but left the OEM back box. JEEEEEEEEZE its far too loud, and albeit the pops and bangs on down shift are pretty mad, its chavey and not for me. Has anyone replaced the resonator box, with a smaller one? Granted i could just go for an aftermarket exhaust, but to be honest i'm happy with the car as is, but actually liked the quietness before, but was a bit too quiet!!!

Cheers
Louie

Offline Hypertuned

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
Re: Exhaust help/advice
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2021, 02:49:32 pm »
Hey Guys,
Playing with the ED30 and had a STG2 map done by my pal who owns Surrey Tuning. All thats been altered is the OEM cat for a full de-cat. Got 332hp, 335 lbs-ft TQ Pretty impressive as still got standard HPFP, air box & Exhaust....So yesterday i decided to do a resonator box delete and popped a straight pipe on, but left the OEM back box. JEEEEEEEEZE its far too loud, and albeit the pops and bangs on down shift are pretty mad, its chavey and not for me. Has anyone replaced the resonator box, with a smaller one? Granted i could just go for an aftermarket exhaust, but to be honest i'm happy with the car as is, but actually liked the quietness before, but was a bit too quiet!!!

Cheers
Louie
You could go for something like an aftermarket exhaust such as AWE switchpath, which with the value closed sounds as quiet as stock & with the valve open sound like a race car.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 04:09:11 pm by Hypertuned »

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
Exhaust help/advice
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2021, 04:07:30 pm »
Mk5 OEM zorst hasn’t got flaps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 675
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2021, 10:57:31 pm »
I think he means the AWE exhaust comes with flaps.

I would say those numbers for a stock intake and cat back are very decent indeed.  Just stick with the oem cat back and sink the money into beer instead  :drinking:
The factory cat back is not much of a bottle neck at all.  My mate Muff1991 on here......his car made 365hp with a Trackslag decat downpipe and factory cat back.  It's just the right noise level really.  Beefy enough to get the message across, but not so loud as to piss the neighbours, or indeed yourself, off  :happy2:

Sometimes less is more.  I'd leave it as it is personally.  If you have an obnoxious barking exhaust, you'll get every chav under the sun trying to race you all the time.  Not what you want when chilling with the missus on a Sunday afternoon.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Hypertuned

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2021, 07:30:35 am »

I would say those numbers for a stock intake and cat back are very decent indeed.  Just stick with the oem cat back and sink the money into beer instead  :drinking:
The factory cat back is not much of a bottle neck at all.  My mate Muff1991 on here......his car made 365hp with a Trackslag decat downpipe and factory cat back.  It's just the right noise level really.  Beefy enough to get the message across, but not so loud as to piss the neighbours, or indeed yourself, off  :happy2:

Sometimes less is more.  I'd leave it as it is personally.  If you have an obnoxious barking exhaust, you'll get every chav under the sun trying to race you all the time.  Not what you want when chilling with the missus on a Sunday afternoon.
Exactly what I meant but in more words and better explained. Thx!
What does your mate think of the trackslag down pipe? I have been meaning to get one of those to replace my Milltek one.

Sent from my SM-N9750 using Tapatalk

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2021, 08:00:59 am »
Cheers Kev yep I agree!
I put the OEM resonator back on. Oh so much better. I got my mate Chris @ Surrey Tuning to map in pops and crackles and it’s now perfect. Re the figures, yep they’re very decent considering it’s a 152k car! One thing I did do was bought 2 A4 chrome sleeves for the tail pipes. £17 from fleabay and they fit like a glove. Tidied up the manky OEM pipes nicely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2021, 10:11:41 pm »

Exactly what I meant but in more words and better explained. Thx!
What does your mate think of the trackslag down pipe? I have been meaning to get one of those to replace my Milltek one.

Sent from my SM-N9750 using Tapatalk

He likes it a lot  :happy2:  I was surprised by how quiet it was during the mapping session actually, and also out on the road during test drives.  No drone or nastiness, just a bit deeper than stock.  A bit more turbo noise as there are no cats to soak that up, but otherwise it's perfectly street friendly.

The only downside is they make only 1 flavour of down pipe, which is made for MK6 R transfer box clearance. On a FWD car, it's very offset in the transmission tunnel, which in turn pushes it quite hard up against the gear cables.  They mention that on their website and put it down to manufacturing tolerances of the gear cable placement, yada yada, but what that really means is they didn't want to make two DPs, one for FWD and one for AWD.

You will notice brands like APR make platform specific downpipes, but it'll cost you a very large bucket of crisp £10 notes.

At the end of the day, it fits OKish and the turbo flange could be thicker, but otherwise it's a good peice. Probably the best flowing downpipe out there and also has a very decent flex coupling, unlike most others  :happy2:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2021, 10:16:37 pm »
Cheers Kev yep I agree!
I put the OEM resonator back on. Oh so much better. I got my mate Chris @ Surrey Tuning to map in pops and crackles and it’s now perfect. Re the figures, yep they’re very decent considering it’s a 152k car! One thing I did do was bought 2 A4 chrome sleeves for the tail pipes. £17 from fleabay and they fit like a glove. Tidied up the manky OEM pipes nicely.

Nice one  :happy2:

Very strong figures for that mileage  :happy2:   I would leave it at around the 330hp mark personally.  It's at the upper end of the K04 engine's comfort zone.  Pushing it harder than that just causes surging problems and the pistons don't like it, and neither does the turbo. It's an only an ickle little thing at the end of the day, only designed to push 1.3-1.4 bar at the most.

Good tip on the tailpipes, no pun intended  :grin:  Mine are rotten as fook and need a tidy up, got a link to the ones you purchased?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 10:18:10 pm by Pudding »

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2021, 10:22:13 am »
Hey Kev,
Yeah i'm happy with it as it is. Drives lovely, and interesting comparing against my KO4 converted GTi which has 350hp & 377tq
both quite different, but great fun!!

Link for tailpipes below
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323318485536

Cheers
Louie

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You